Do You Use More Than One TT? If So, Why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dominick, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thinking about getting a second TT for 45s and records that are not in excellent condition (still decent)

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yes.
    A vintage table (have some that I rotate in/out) with a more forgiving cart and with auto off feature.
    There are times when I find these features desirable.

The FRiNgE, dbsea, Gavinyl and 2 others like this.
  3. Yes, I have two TT's in my system. One has a Moving Coil cartridge the other has a Moving Magnet. The MM rig leans to the bright side which suits my 60's and 70's records and the MC is laid back and preforms well on newer recordings.

RubenH likes this.
  4. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

One upstairs one downstairs and a third one for 78s. Used to have a fourth one but I gave it away to the guy who gave me my Fishers.

5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

One upstairs and one downstairs. Can't just have one. My wife says two is enough.

Dominick likes this.
  6. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I run two tables. I got the 2nd one to play thrift store/garage sale finds, but it sounds so nice that it sees a little bit of everything.

Plus........it's really fun having two tables!

shutdown66, Clonesteak and Dominick like this.
  7. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Multiple turntables in multiple rooms. I have one in my main listening room, one in my den and one vintage set up in my basement.

8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

One for the living room and one for the bedroom.

9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

When I was young and handsome I used to have at least two girlfriends at a time, sometimes three or four. I was satisfied with having one turntable, back then.

Now that I am an old man faithful to his wife, please don't ask me why I need four tables.

Dubmart, RubenH, LitHum05 and 8 others like this.
  10. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

I have three, LP120 that's waiting to be swapped with a nice black SL1210 to match my Technics SU-VX920, an Akai AP-005 that has matching wood grain to my Technics SA-T670 receiver and an Aurex SR-Q550 that I was going to refurbish as it looks kerappy at the mo.

Why? I like 'em to match colour wise with my amps :D:D

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Two stereo systems for different purposes each has a turntable.

12. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was looking at getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for a safe bet, but, might be fun to look for an older TT.

13. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I have two. The Technics SL1200 (that is in my avitar) which I use if I want to do a needle drop, play audiophile records, or brand new records. It has a Shure V15 Type V cart, so it picks up everything and is more useful for records that are in very good condition with quiet surfaces. I have a refurbished Dual 1229 from the mid 70's that I use for vintage stuff, garage/estate/thrift store finds and used records that aren't pristine because the Shure m97xe that I have on it isn't nearly as responsive as the Type V, so it doesn't pick up as much surface noise. The Dual also plays 78s, which I am really starting to enjoy. I have plenty of fox trot/big band stuff (which is the vast majority of stuff I find), but once in a while, I'll come across some great old jazz or blues that is amazing. During my last 78 haul, I picked up an Ella Fitzgerald album for next to nothing. When I got it home and inspected it, it was full of Frank Sinatra 78s. I use the Dual to make needledrops of the 78s and now have digital files of several Bix Beiderbecke records and the Nat Cole Trio.

Robert C, Tlay and 33na3rd like this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes, as a backup.

Plus it was cheap.

15. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I have a number of different turntables just for the simple fact that I like turntables and records more than any other type of media and because I can.:righton:

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My turntable went in for a repair and wound up up waiting in the cue for six weeks due to an overbooked tech. Not wanting to be without one for so long I decided to look for a used table with $300ish.

I got very lucky and scored a circa 1981 NM Kenwood KD-700 for $300 on Craigslist, a really beautiful direct drive table from an audiophile line the company produced at the time. Not only did it look great, it sounded mighty good, and after years of fully manual operation I was treated to the luxury of push button lift, plus auto lift and stop.

Yesterday I got my Music Hall MMF-7 back, now upgraded to a 7.1 with it's new carbon fiber tonearm. Comparing the two, the Music Hall clearly has the the edge, but two different MC cartridges in use, so not a truly fair comparison.

Now that I have two tables in the house my thought was to put a mono cart on the Kenwood. I'm thinking of the AT33 Mono as I'd had the AT33EV on the table for the past six weeks and like it. The challenge will be making space for it all, I may have to get a rack, but that complicates the location of my subwoofer. I've long thought about putting a turntable in the bedroom, but that's likely going to be a bit too much for my wife, plus there's a greater chance for a mishap with my kids in there all the time. Somehow it will all work itself out just fine.

And then there's the table in my NYC system....

Dominick likes this.
  17. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Yeah, same here. About a dozen kicking around in various rooms. I really enjoy the different "voices" they have using different cartridges to speak with.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

3 because sometimes I’m in a different room. Also, my main table has a fairly expensive cart. It’s nice to share the workload when my listening is a bit more casual.

DrZhivago likes this.
  19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Rega P9
    Rega Planar 6
    And my Miida T3115 from high school

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Cuz FUN! An no one in the house to tell me i can't.

notesofachord and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

VPI Prime in the main listening system

Dual 1219 in the headphone system.

22. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Two for me. My Dual, pictured in my avatar, is connected to the system which is connected to speakers on the deck. Since it's fully automatic, I don't have to worry about rushing inside and running through the house when the side is done playing. Just have to make sure I get back from flipping or changing the album before my cigar goes out. :D

23. I use 3 turntables for different purposes because just one wouldn't do. 1). a 2-speed, variable pitch, belt drive-for needledrops with it's smooth start-up and quiet operation. 2). a 3-speed, variable pitch, direct drive-for my quadraphonic system. Both TT's and a 3rd one, though different brands, have universal headshells, so I can swap them around with different cartridges mounted in each to suit a certain type of record. 3). an ADC Accutrac +6 programmable belt drive turntable retrofitted with a Shure M97xe- used in my home theater system.
    Now, speaking 45's, as a novelty, I have most models of the RCA 45rpm record changers. All working ones are mounted with stereo cartridges jumpered for mono.
    If you are thinking about getting a TT to just play 45's and not-so-great shape records, you might consider getting a TT with interchangeable headshells. You should have one mounted with a dedicated mono cartridge and conical stylus for mono LP's and mono 45's into the 70's. Another one should be mounted with a stereo cartridge and interchangeable conical and elliptical stylii.
    Another must for playing older records which may not be in the greatest shape is an adjustable anti-skate. What I have discovered while doing needledrops from records, some way over 50 years old is that some may skip. Turning the anti-skate up to max and sometimes reducing tracking pressure by about .5g will usually allow the record to play through.

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Five. Info section has details.

25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have 2. The 2nd one is leftovers from my upgrade to my living room system. I have the 2nd system in my office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.