Do you vinyl peeps use album covers? My OCD is kicking in...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

So, I generally use album covers on all new albums and collectibles. But my OCD is driving me crazy because when the space in getting tight in the cube (ikea storage), the covers tend to slide back on the album and stick out from the rest of the stack. I know, who cares...me! Or do you guys just not bother using them at all?

2. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

The fix is to put the outer sleeve on with the opening facing up, and then slide the record/inner sleeve in from the top behind the jacket.

24voltsdc, johnny q, Jrr and 11 others like this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No, the proper way is to put the sleeve opening facing out, not up. :winkgrin:

Now let's discuss the only proper way to mount a roll of TP.

showtaper, mcd4959, Aftermath and 6 others like this.
  4. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it just ain't an anal retentive, obsessive -compulsive hobby without plastic sleeves. Kinda required.

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, slide the record in from the top. that's the correct way to store them.

Spirit Crusher, dbsea and Wes_in_va like this.
  6. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

If it unrolls from the back side of the roll that's just wrong...

7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I'm in my 50s now and, at best, I'll be able to listen to LPs for another 40 years. I take them in and out of the cubes a lot, no covers used. I know that over time the album covers will wear. I don't care as long as the albums within last as long as my ears and brain do! As often as I see people rolling into the record stores these days, selling relatives' albums on the cheap so that hobbyists like us can grab them also on the cheap, I see little monetary value that any of us are likely to enjoy during our lifetimes from collecting, so why be anal about keeping the covers in good shape?

8. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Opening at the top not only makes storage easier it also helps protect against dust a bit better

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Most of my records are on those cheap shelves they sell from Bags Unlimited. Those have such a tight clearance that a top opener would probably bunch up. The records I have in Peaches crates do have the opening facing upwards, but it's still spine side out.

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm with you on this. I refuse to put covers on covers.

It's just so...
    [​IMG]

Besides, a bit of ringwear adds character.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

When I was a kid I meticulously put all my comic books in bags, because they were going to be worth millions one day. That never happened. I refused to mess with covers for a long time, now I use them for the records I paid too much for just for fun.

russk likes this.
  12. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Exactly how I put my LP's on my shelf. They don't slip out and get damaged either.

DLD and 4_everyman like this.
  13. acceler8

acceler8 New Member

I tend to think of myself as a temporary custodian of albums while I am on this earth. As such, I want any future owners to get as much joy and pleasure out of my records as they can. It's not about collecting or selling. It's about preserving. It also helps feed the OCD monster :)

Opeth likes this.
  14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Sleeves go on everything.

15. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I *only* put outer sleeves on mine to add a layer of dust protection. Even then, only about 25% of my collection has outer jackets. I'm opposed to actually buyin any sonthe ones I have have come from album purchases

Manimal likes this.
  16. Plastic sleeves drive me nuts, so I never use them inside or outside of an LP jacket. It's been my experience that all that plastic creates a static-electricity scenario that is frustrating at best & a playback nightmare at worst. And no, paper inner-sleeves don't damage my LPs or negatively affect their playback. But then again I buy records to listen to music, not for 'collection' purposes. YMMV...

17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

This is my standard job interview question, I tell them to pick one.

[​IMG]

John likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Either is better than my wife's preferred method of leaving the new roll on the back of the commode until I come to use it.

Rickchick, andybeau, Manimal and 4 others like this.
  19. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I have a few plastic outer sleeves lying around. I use them if I think it's gonna rain when taking them to and from my friend's place. Otherwise it's just another unnecessary step when trying to play music.

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Is there a Cat in the house?

Manimal and Juan Matus like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Vinyl Peep.

Opeth, forthlin, Manimal and 5 others like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Putting an album in a poly sleeve is not OCD, it is a best practice. It is very low cost, low effort and keeps your albums in good condition. Certainly you have been through bins of used records and have seen what happens when they are not used.

Not using a sleeve so you can make more room on a crowded shelf for more records is crazy talk. I buy my sleeves about 50 at a time and it's about the same thickness as three or 4 LPs.

24voltsdc, ghost rider and DrZhivago like this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've always kept LP's in plastic sleeves, when I was a teenager Buch Spieler used to give you a plastic sleeve with every new LP you bought. Unfortunately most of those sleeves haven't lasted 30 years.

I buy the cheapest sleeves from Sleeve City and most of the LP's that I want to sleeve have been sleeved, I'm not obsessive about it though. I'm still a couple of hundred away from having everything sleeved but it's not a high priority. When I have the extra cash, I usually buy the more-important replacement inner sleeves.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I figure my collection's not going anywhere until they take me out feet first, so I ditched all my plastic outer sleeves yeas ago. Doesn't matter to me if there's a bit of wear.

John K.

Tjazz, Bob_in_OKC and Old Rusty like this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I'd rather the greasy fingerprints be on a protective outer than on a cover.

And paper is fine for inners provided they stay clean. The problem is when dirty / dusty records go into them and they get contaminated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.