Dobie Gillis to come to DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WTF IS GOING ON NOW?! THIS IS BECOMING QUITE POPULAR AT AMAZON! damn!

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Anyone have this ?

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Usually it means that a number of customers returned the item with a similar complaint. Maybe the discs are scratched due to bad packaging. Maybe there's an authoring error. Who knows? Usually, however, the item will become available again from Amazon before too much time passes.

4. Michael

as were the others....

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I've got it. Pre-ordered the set from Amazon and received it on the release day. However, I exchanged mine cause a few of the discs were iffy, cosmetically speaking. Aside from that ("problems" most people wouldn't even notice) it's a great set! Nice graphic design, nice packaging colors, etc. I only watched the first few season one episodes, but what I saw looked pretty good - just don't expect transfers on par with the gorgeous I Love Lucy DVDs or even Shout! Factory's own Leave It To Beaver complete series set. For what they are, though, they're more than watchable and the comedy still holds up in 2013. I definitely laughed out loud more than a few times. All in all, bravo Shout! Factory! Keep the classic TV on DVD comin'!

Scope J likes this.
  7. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I really dug this show as a kid when it was on Nick at Nite. My memory is that it was downright surreal at times. I may have to try and pick this up when the kinks are worked out.

8. Michael

they never again picked up the Fugitive Complete series 33 DVD box after all the crap with that set.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Thanks. Just ordered mine.

Scope J likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Trivia question :

When Riff like kicks Maynard
    out of his store , what album
    is Maynard holding ?

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm on like disc 8 ,
    been wanting to see
    these since i first saw
    a few on cable in the '80's

13. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I bought this set a few months ago. I remembered this show from my childhood but considering that I was only six or seven when it first started to air, it's likely my exposure was during a daytime run in syndication. I'm only somewhere in the middle of season 2. The picture/sound quality are excellent. It's interesting to see the show and characters developing through the first season. Dobie's hair is blond for about 3/4 of the season, then, after December it goes to it's natural sandy brown but later in the season, there is at least one episode where it's blond again! (I assume this was an earlier episode that was postponed for some reason). The early shows featured Tuesday Weld (yum) and Warren Beatty but they had both moved on to bigger things before the season ended. In the second season, they really start to develop and incorporate Maynard's hip catch phrases like, "You Rang?", "Work!" and "It's only you Maynard". It seems funny in retrospect that the guy everyone thinks dresses odd and has a weird haircut is only about three years from being the coolest dude on campus. Of course, he'll need to exchange his Jazz albums for the Beatles and Stones. By the way, the producers try to kick-start Dwayne Hickman's singing career (mandatory for teen actors at this time) but it's pretty weak and of course went nowhere.

My biggest complaint about this show is the fact that they have 20-somethings portraying high school students. I watched an episode the other day that had the students in a band practice at school. The guy on standup bass was going bald! What high school is this? Anyway, I think around season three or four they all move to Community College and things don't seem quite so weird. So far I'm enjoying these shows. Thanks to Shout! Factory for making them available.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Dwayne & Bob were like 24 , 25 when the
    show started , and yeah that bass player
    looked at least 35

Anyone else prefer Zelda to Thalia ?

15. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Funny, the scripts try to make Zelda seem bookish and nerdy but she's actually cute and not nearly as square as she might be if real. I can remember thinking she was cute even as a kid. Thalia however, what can I say about Thalia? Tuesday Weld was smokin' in my opinion but not much of an actress. Based on the characters and given the choice at 17, I would have picked Thalia. However, today as a much older and far wiser man, I'd go with Zelda.

Did you notice that when Zelda's family was introduced in season one (Dobie Starts A Rumor) she had a bunch of sisters and her parents seem stretched for cash but in a later episode (Here Comes The Groom (if I recall)) they seem to live in a much nicer house and there is no mention of all those sisters? I think both these episodes were in season one. I guess continuity was not important back then. Why else would they use the same woman to play Milton's mother and then, when Warren Beatty left, cast the same person as Chadsworth's mother? They weren't brothers as they have different last names. It seems like an easier solution would have been to just call the new guy Milton and, like a soap opera, make it seems as if no one notices that Milton is a completely different person.

16. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Gabrielle Carteris was 29 when she played a 16 year old on "Beverly Hills 90210".

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Tuesday & Sheila were
    16 & 18 , at least they
    were the right age for
    High School students

18. Michael

how low will this set go?

19. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, Warren Beatty used the money from this show to finance Bonnie and Clyde.

Chad

20. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Me! Even as a 10-year old (in 1960) I thought Dobie was an idiot. Zelda was smart, funny, cute as hell, was Dobie's friend, and she adored him. Nope. All he wanted was a vacuous blonde with hugh tracts of land. I would have married Zelda in a heartbeat, except that I was a child and she was fictional.

Scope J likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The cheap bastions won't spend de money on proper mastering. This is almost as bad as companies who transfer vinyl to CD and release the albums that way. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I suspect Zelda wanted something different romantically than Dobie.

22. Skip Reynolds

No, that's Sheila, not Zelda, ya MOE-ron.

Silliness Disclaimer for the Humor Impaired: I'm not really calling Vidiot a *****.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought Sheila was Zelda! :confused:

I was making... you know... a joke about Ms. Kuehl. <ahem>

24. Skip Reynolds

What we have here is a failure to communicate on my part. I got your joke, thought it was funny. My brilliant rejoinder was a facetious suggestion that you were confusing the actress with the character. Hence, "MOE-ron", which was mock outrage.
    We cool, Poopsie.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I noticed in the first season that almost all the girls have odd names. Thalia and Zelda are just two but most of Dobie's love interests also have unusual names as well. I wondered if the producers did that to ensure they wouldn't offend any real Debbies or Nancys. It seems as the show progresses there are some more common names so, I guess they decided it wasn't necessary or they ran out of unique names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.