Doc Martin - Any Fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Karnak, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..." Thread Starter

The latest episode I viewed had Louisa calling on him to hand out medals to her class on sports day. What a horrible shambles he makes of it! While refusing to deal with his grief for his father, other things happen as well. It seems like his life is just crumbling around him. I really feel for this guy at times. I know it's a cliche, but can't wait to see what happens next week.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and Mister Charlie like this.
  2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Cool I will check it out. Thanks for the update!

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I bought the Season 6 DVD when it came out in January; my wife and I watched the entire season over the space of two weeks or so. I won't go into any of the episodes for those who are watching the program in North America, but Karnak in #76 has a good grasp of this poor man, although I may be more inclined to wonder how ANY person could have such terrible people skills.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Used to be for years. Developed Achilles heel problem wearing DM shoes recently. Burning hot pain shoots up my leg now for 4 months.Tendon can take months year maybe to get better. Pain not always current, only when you forget then there's a problem By putting pressure on heel standing/reaching etc ....then argh!!!!' :-( Wear trainers now.

5. Karnak

For Carolyn Catz(Louisa) without the odd mascara(or eye liner?), she appears in 'DCI Banks' as well.

6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah and in DCI banks it feels like she is playing a female version of Doc Martin if he was a copper.

7. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Clunes, minus quite a few pounds, is rather good as Conan-Doyle in a recent adaptation of the Julian book, Arthur and George. Has a bit of the Jeremy Brett Holmes feel to it.

10. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

We will be in Cornwall in a few months and may make a visit to see if we can catch any of the action. I would expect the crowds to be mental, its bad enough in summer as it is!

11. It's just a pity that at least series 6 was broadcast in HD by ITV, but we can only buy it as DVD.

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I don't watch often but the scenery is so lovely.

13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

My wife loves the show and DVR's it I have been watching the occasional episode with her. I am trying to stay away from serial television as I just don't seem to have the time or patience for it anymore.
    But it's sucking me in a bit.

I like his the Doc's fumbling, well meaning but totally socially inept character and think he is well acted.

On a more male oriented perspective, I think the actress who plays Doc Martin's wife is quite attractive. She let down her shoulder length hair down from that ponytail on the most recent episode that I watched and looked absolutely stunning! :)

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Just a heads-up that Season 7 is finally airing on PBS beginning tonight. Yay!

Karnak likes this.
  15. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Season 7 keeps up the quirky and fun standard of all the seasons before. You wont be disappointed.

Hawkeye and jriems like this.
  16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

My wife discovered this recently so I bought the DVDs. She binge watched all 7 series over a couple of weeks. I like it too, hope they continue onto series 8.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've become a fan. What a funny show! And cleverly so.

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Alas, LPB isn't showing it yet.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm sure it's got to be in the pipeline. I'd call the station and ask what their plan is.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

In retrospect, the program has always been shown on Thursdays at 8:00 PM, so, despite a lack of advertising that the show is coming, it may be soon.

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It appears you are correct!

LPB broadcast schedule

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for checking for me. Oh,Goody, I can watch my favorite cooking show on 27.3 right before the Doc makes his debut!

23. Karnak

I just viewed the opening episode of the 7th season. Caroline Catz looks different-to the point that I expected the Doc to ask abruptly: 'You look haggard-you've lost too much weight!' but he didn't.

24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Sorry to hear that....:(

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. Since the program is filmed just every other year, and we are into season 7, then you must realize that the actors who show up every other year are now 14 years older than they were in season # 1. Both Clunes and Catz are showing their ages quite a bit in these latest episodes. Even the Large characters seem to have aged too much for the roles they're playing. Oh well, it's just a TV show.

If the writers had chosen to allow Doc Martin to kill off the dog, Buddy, in this last episode, that would have done it for me. Dog lover that I am, the thought of doing away with a defenseless animal for convenience's sake is just unacceptable.

I also miss Stephanie Cole's role as the Doc's aunt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.