Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident Thread Starter

They just showed a short teaser that introduces the new companion: Pearl Mackie as Bill.

Weirdly, she's wearing a T-shirt that uses the inner sleeve of Prince & The Revolution's "Purple Rain" album. It had to have been filmed a while ago so that is quite the coincidence. (For future reference, Prince has been in the news a lot lately as he was discovered dead two days previously.)

Doctor Who: Pearl Mackie named as new companion - BBC News »

Purplefowler likes this.
  2. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I just hope the writing improves so Peter capaldi can really show what he can do as the Dr. Big fan but was a little disappointed with the last series. I never liked Clara so really it can only get better :D

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is the last series with current showrunner Steven Moffat so maybe he'll put a bit more effort into the scripts :)

I've enjoyed the reboot but I do agree that the quality of the writing has declined. I was really looking forward to Peter Capaldi as the new Dr. but it hasn't been as great as I hoped.

Purplefowler likes this.
  4. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more. "Heaven Sent" was the best Moffat script in years IMHO. In fact everything about that episode, from the direction to the acting was pretty much perfect for me.
    Overall I think that least season was the best one since at least Matt Smith's first season for me.

progrocker71 likes this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

wow, great catch on that T-shirt in the Trailer

[​IMG]

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't have issue with Peter Capaldi. But I find the stories and the direction the series took didn't keep me that interested. That doesn't mean there haven't been any gems. But over all I haven't been as interested as I was hoping to be.

Purplefowler likes this.
  7. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Looks promising. But thet should mix it up a little and have historical or alien compnanions like the old series did.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree that they should mix it up a little and have more scripts that make actual sense. Companion types are just window dressing compared to strong scripts. Mind you, some 'window dressing' can save a mediocre script (Jenna Coleman will be missed).

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

When's it airing in the States ?!

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Been awhile since the last new Doctor Who episode. This is just a reminder about the new Christmas Special on Christmas:

Doctor Who Christmas Special: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”

With Deadpool even managing to snag a couple of Golden Globe nominations last week, Hollywood’s superhero boom looks set to continue. Now the sci-fi institution Doctor Who is getting in on the act. This festive special sees the Doctor, portrayed by Peter Capaldi, join forces with the mysterious superhero called “The Ghost” (Justin Chatwin) in a bid to save New York City from floating alien heads. It airs Christmas Day (December 25) on BBC America at 9/8c, so pour yourself an eggnog and settle down for the exciting ride.

I believe Series 10 begins some time in April.

11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I love Capaldi's Doctor, but have been disappointed in the stories he's been given so far. Most of them seem to wind up being "much ado about nothing." Him just running around for an hour to find out, oops, it was all nothing, really.

And I LOATHE "Missy." The new series has not had a decent Master yet.

12. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

I thought Derek Jacobi was utterly superb in the far too short screen time he had.

Carserguev likes this.
  13. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Can't stand it when the series[and other shows like Stargate] end up going to some historical moment in time. I don't consider that all that sci-fi. We have peasants running around instead of aliens, or back to the days of Dickens. I always think doing these episodes are probably cheaper as the BBC would have huge wardrobes of all the old fashioned clothing already. Yeah, i think it's a cheat!

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So, what did people think of the Christmas special this year?

To me, it felt like an episode of one of those comic book shows that the CW airs. If it didn't have the Doctor in it, I wouldn't have known a difference. Also, this year didn't feel very Christmassy. Matter of fact, the last few Doctor Who Christmas specials didn't feel very Christmassy. My favorite Doctor Who Christmas special is still the one that was like A Christmas Carol with a Scrooge-like character played by Michael Gambon. There was another one (can't remember details) that revolved around a snowy, Christmas-like town in which the Doctor protected from alien invasion. And I believe there was one with River Song dressed in a Santa suit at the beginning (from my memory, that one didn't seem very Christmassy either except for that one scene and a quick gift exchange.)

Edit:

Forgot about the one from a few years ago with Santa and a bunch of "Alien-like" face-huggers taking control over sleeping people.

rmath84 likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The usual piffle. It's just a matter of spot the pop-culture steal as a plotline - pretty obvious this time around (ie, not-Marvel). Yawn.

eddiel likes this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

As a spoof, it was decent enough and only mildly successful as a comedy. Im not a superhero/comic book fan tho.....Wasn't the worst in the last few years but not the best either

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yep. Superman the Movie meets The Watchmen. I see the villains aren't to be a one-off though.

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I hate to say it, but if the option is to cast a 13th Doctor and continue on with companions etc. or end it for good... but always open to a third possibility of some sort. :faint:

21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

he has another 13 regenerations to go now ! they fixed in the Matt Smith era !

22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

very sad about this as I feel he needed one more season at least ! anyway for the next one I hope they cast the twins from the Harry Potter films.

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

He'll be around for the entire season 10 and the next Christmas special will be his last. I would have liked to have seen him with the new showrunner amd see what they came up with.

eddiel and fitzysbuna like this.
  24. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I think Capaldi's done a good enough job but three years is about right. Time now, I feel, to go out on a limb. I'm fed up with all the clutter that comes with casting a new Doctor. They start up every time; 'The next Doctor should be a woman'....'The new Doctor should be a person of colour...'. Know what? - do it. I'm fed up to the back teeth with it. Go for it. Let's have a woman or someone other than a white chap. At least it'll be done, given a try. At the end of the day the series survives on the strength of the writing. If the standards there don't drop, the show will not suffer. (Naturally, I draw the line at an American actor taking the role :))

will_b_free, keef00 and Wild Frank like this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The series needs a shaking up. I like Capaldi, but his run has been totally unmemorable for me. Give us an interesting new Doctor, stop spending so much time in modern Britain, and stop making the companions the main characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.