Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I think this has been a wonderful series this year. I love the slower paced dialogue. Makes Capaldi more powerful to me. More intense without the rapid fire delivery. The stories, visual and editing style remind me of the Third/Fourth Doctor eras of the first show. Took them about 10 years to peak too IMHO.

Scopitone likes this.
  2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Better series than the last few. I guess the absence of an annoying companion (Amy, Clara) must certainly help. Depends on the final episode but this might be the best series in quite a while.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmm, not what I would have said...

jriems likes this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Reserving judgment until the final episode, but I am about done with NuWho. I think they have done a tremendous disservice to Peter Capaldi.

Walt, smilin ed and Deesky like this.
  5. KAJ1971

Well I kept watching through the worst of Matt Smith & Tennant so I shall watch it at Xmas and next year too. Unless they pander to the current vogue for changing male characters into female, of course.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They already did that!

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And to the audience above age 10.

smilin ed and tkl7 like this.
  8. KAJ1971

Ah, the perils of writing after having had a few. :D Should they change Doctor Who's gender I meant to write.

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Really? I hope that's true. Brilliant twist if it is.

10. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

To show you my age:(...I thought you were talking about Jon Pertwee and 1973:sigh:!

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

To show mine...before Pertwee.

I'd picked up on the retro vibe. The Tardis noise not heard for years and the old school Cybermen..but this is completely left field ...and superb.

Andy Smith likes this.
  12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought it was a terrific finale with a great set-up for Capaldi's Christmas send-off. I thought Nick Cross appearing as Santa Claus would go down as the most perfect tease for a forthcoming Christmas episode ever, but
    David Bradley reprising his role as William Hartnell as the First Doctor
    certainly gives Father Christmas a run for his money.

Won't discuss any more details until folks have a chance to catch up with their DVRs.

Walt, Scopitone and Blimpboy like this.
  13. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Yes, great final act. The wrap up story to last week seemed anti climatic in comparison. This has been one of the finest performances of the Doctor to me. Makes the doctor relatable and alien at the same time. Really felt the weight of someone who has endured a long,strife filled life. I will miss Peter Capaldi. Bravo!

Scopitone likes this.
  14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

These were some dark and twisted episodes, weren't they?

15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Interesting too, I noticed that the terrain at the very end of tonight's episode echoed the final 1st Doctor episodes as well. I wonder if there will be some significance to that?

beccabear67, seed_drill and dbz like this.
  16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think the Christmas episode will be like charles dickens a christmas carol! can't wait for it !

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I think Capaldi looked cool(longer hair) and comfortable this series, his best performance. Pity he was just starting to own the role as he moved on. He instilled a maturity and gravitas which was missing in his earlier seasons, but I always wanted him to be more Hartnell/Troughton than Tennent/Smith, probably due to his age (he seemed to have a bow-legged tottering walk too, which reminded me of Peter Cushing in the role).

Plus Missy teasing him by saying she was 'Doctor Who' and that was his name, all harked back to the 60's Doctor.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Scopitone and eddiel like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I wish this series was the previous series and we'd get him for one more run. I was so looking forward to him as the doctor but I've been mostly disappointed (not because of Capaldi) until this last season.

I hope with the new doctor they don't go backwards.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

With the longer hair I thought he was beginning to look like Pertwee, especially after the smoke smudge makeup.

Deesky and dbz like this.
  20. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

After watching the series finale, I discovered that AN ADVENTURE IN SPACE AND TIME was available on BritBox. I had never seen it, and it made sense to get a feel for this dude's Hartnell impression.

I don't know how historically accurate the film is, but I really enjoyed it. I thought he was great, and I feel like I am going to have no trouble believing him in the Xmas special. I also really liked the actors they chose for Ian/Babs/Susan, and it was fun to see a "clip" of Marco Polo in color.

Andy Smith and dbz like this.
  21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I love the creepy old style Cybermen! They just want to 'upgrade' us all... :shake::laugh:

Looking forward to the special of 12th meets 'the original you might say'! Still holding out hope for Peter Dinklage as the next incarnation... having had Missy around I can't see they'd do that with The Doctor. But what if it's a timey-wimey circular thing where the 12th turns into the 1st? They wouldn't do that would they? :sigh:

Scopitone likes this.
  22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I love the way they are having Capaldi go out. It plays very true to his role: pure stubborness.

The main problem that I see with Peter Dinklage is that like Cumberbatch, or Idris Elba, or Hayley Atwell, is that they have all already made the jump to Hollywood and likely ask for more money now than a show like Doctor Who could deliver. They're too in demand.

beccabear67 and Scopitone like this.
  23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I for one could get on board with that idea. I like the circular continuation. But, having thought about it and seeing the other names offered in the press, I suspect David Bradley may be there in the role of The Watcher (Logopolis), to over-see the transformation. That's my best guess, rather than the new Dr.

24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the season finale, and really this season as a whole. I've not found much of the nuWho to my liking, but that's not due to the actors involved but more the writing or directing. I did like Bill and Nardole as characters. There were quite a few quips that were quite funny.

25. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Capaldi has been great but the stories less so. Making his character older and on top of that making him very grumpy in year one was courageous but risky (particularly re the latter- see Colin Baker for more info...) and may have backfired as the sustained ratings drop suggests. Heaven Sent and Listen are the 2 masterpieces of the era.

Morpheus and beccabear67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.