Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Probably a good idea. Moffat is a terrific writer but he seems kind of burned out based on the writing over the last season or so. I think Capaldi probably hasn't been happy with the quality of the scripts overall.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Christmas planet and the moon hatching into a creature that laid another moon were low points for me under Moffat. New blood needed!

Shawn and seed_drill like this.
  3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Liked tonight's opener. Would imagine kids would be suitably freaked by a moving puddle/liquid zombie. I know Who have touched on something quite similar in recent years but it's an ever-changing audience so why not dive in again? (ouch!). Great to see the photo of Dodo a few times.

4. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

You mean Susan? :D
    [​IMG]

seed_drill likes this.
  5. Andy Smith

Yeah, her. Always got the two mixed up....

6. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Some nice little in jokes. My kids were yelling "say it...say it!" For the build up to the classic bigger on the inside line. I really like peter capaldi's version of the doctor and am really hoping his last episodes finally give him the scripts to shine. So far, I'm a bit on the fence but it's only the first episode and the kids really enjoyed it. We will see

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, that was totally stupid! Same old fluff. Moffat can't leave soon enough.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I saw the first 10-15 minutes and it looked good (we changed channel to watch the "The Book Thief" - good film!).
    So I'll watch the repeat or catch it on iPlayer. I think Capaldi was pretty good as the Doctor - a lot better than the twitchy, self-conscious Matt Smith. My Favourites remain Troughton, (Tom) Baker and Tennant.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, that monster was very Waters of Mars.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Really strong episode. I like the girl.

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, when was the last episode of Doctor Who that you actually enjoyed made?

knob twirler and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

You need to see Matt Smith as Prince Phillip in The Crown. He plays the role as if he's an alien. (or more of an alien than the Doctor)

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can't remember of the top of my head (they're not very memorable), but if I could be bothered to scan my previous comments, I'm sure I'd find and ep or two...

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Peter Davison's second season for me.

15. Andy Smith

Wasn't it though? And very Lesley Sharp with the repeated statements. ('Midnight').

16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If that's the case then why even bother watching, much less posting comments except to be a downer for everybody else? There are a ton of things that I enjoyed 30 years ago that I grew out of and moved on with my life. It just isn't very productive behavior, imho.

DeadParrot likes this.
  17. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

18. Andy Smith

andybeau likes this.
  19. Purplefowler

That is definitely plausible after leaving death in paradise (was sorry to see him go but his style would suit a bumbling doctor). I would much rather see him in the role than see a female doctor. Ok it did work for missy/the master but not for the doctor (imho)

andybeau and seed_drill like this.
  20. Andy Smith

But how will we ever know unless someone gives an actress a chance? I'm down with the sisterhood here. Right scripts, right woman, right directors.....there's so many possibilities. What are people so scared of? Even if it turns out poorly, recast and move on. That's the joy of the show. I'm nigh-on 60 and would love to see a lass in the role afore I go belly up.

BeatleJWOL and Purplefowler like this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

This quote is interesting:

‘They won’t risk a woman Doctor. They want a David Tennant type.’

Tennant was probably most people's favorite doctor since the new series started in 2005. Though, I like Eccleston's and Capaldi's version too. The only one I couldn't stand was Matt Smith's. I would imagine during Tennant's reign as the Doctor, the ratings were the highest and slowly declined since then. Maybe Matt Smith's first year ratings were just as high but then declined after that since the show still had the popular Karen Gillan (Amy) as companion in Smith's entire first year.

22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I've always thought that they should open up auditions for everybody, man or woman, black or white or asian, and then pick the actor/actress that fits the inherently quirky role best. But this campaign to make the next Doctor a woman simply because it hasn't been done before is misguided. It is choosing the person for the wrong reason. It's superficial.

Tord, tkl7, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  23. Purplefowler

I probably should stuck up for us women but there are two thinks I just don't think we need equal rights for....no female doctor and no female bond. But then my 2nd favourite doctor was Matt smith so what do I know, lol! (No one will ever come close to tom baker though!)

tkl7 likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Honestly, if they were going to go female with the Master, I wish it had remained parasitic, rather than regenerative.

Purplefowler likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Woohoo! Vudu is giving the first ep for free, so I can get a sense of what I think about the new TARDIS team before I drop $30 on the whole season at Vudu or Amazon or Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.