Does a musicians ability to compose/write their own music affect your willingness to listen to them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aaron52101, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron52101

Aaron52101 Active Member Thread Starter

I'm not going to throw any musicians or genres of music under the bus as examples, but I think culturally we are moving away from individuals who are very active in creating their own music vs. a lot of the work being done by other people (producers, song writers, session musicians, etc). Does knowing a certain artist really is not creating a large portion of certain aspects of their music affect your opinion of them or do you just want to hear good music, regardless of how it was made? Where do you draw the line?

2. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Well most singers who cannot write their own music are useless IMO.
    For bands it is the same. (aside from Classical musicians of course!)

Jerryb likes this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just want to hear good music, regardless of how it was made. Though the musical output of artists who write their own material is usually more consistent (for better or for worse).

It's interesting to remember that for music up until the 60s, it was more the rule than the exception for singers to sing material not written by themselves.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

People who insist that performing artists write their own material aren't interested in music as much as a soundtrack to their hero worship. The idea that only self-contained performers are legitimate artists is a very recent conceit.

If you were to find out tomorrow that your favorite artist's songs were written to order by a revolving team of professionals while the music was performed by jazz musicians on the clock -- exactly what they did at Motown, by the way -- how would this knowledge affect a single note coming out of the speakers?

Last time I checked, I couldn't hear anything from the publishing notices printed in the liner notes. You might as well insist that a singer do their own booking and accounting.

5. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Sinatra?

zen likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Well most singers who cannot write their own music are useless IMO." this is insane!! there are plenty of great Jazz Singers who don't write the songbooks they sing I take it you are talking about Rock
    Elvis comes to mind first,then Motown groups

zen likes this.
  7. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

It's not the size, it's what you do with it. Or something like that.

There's way too many great performers who don't write their own material.

And there's plenty of writers who are the last people I want to hear play their own music.

Just on the lady singer end of the scale who's not gonna listen to Ella, Billie, Peggy Lee or Julie London because they didn't write most of the songs they sing?

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Depends on the time, and the genre.

9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

There are some great singers/performers who can perform anything and make it their own whether or not they have written it. That's a great talent.

But there are more singers/performers who just sound generic and perform music created in music factories that is intended to be as formulaic as possible in order to be a hit. That stuff makes me crazy.

I tend to prefer a point of view in musicians I really like. Something about their performance and their songs that is unique to themselves. And most often that means that the singer also wrote the song.

zbir likes this.
  10. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Yes to me that is the most impressive thing. there are great musicians that don't write their own stuff and that is fine. I will still listen to them but I have a real respect for those that can actually compose and write decent material.

Vinyl_Blues and TCEckels like this.
  11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

just played the original version of "I am into something good"(I guess if King did it it would really be Original ) Thanks God for Hermans Hermits

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course not.

Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin are Exhibits A1 and A2.

13. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

No, it doesn't bother me if an artist doesn't write their own stuff, as long as their interpretation of the material is good. I.E. Presley, Sinatra, even Three Dog Night...but I understand the OPs point...these blockbuster albums that have about 10 producers, songs credited to 5 writers that aren't the artist,etc. Too many cooks in the kitchen, I think.

14. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

While my absolute favorite artists tend to pen their own material (Westerberg, Strummer/Jones, Jagger/Richards, Hunter, etc), I would never slag off the Temptations or Frank Sinatra as lesser artists for not writing songs. Taking a song from a sheet of paper, then breathing life into it to so that it touches millions of people? That is great art as well.

starduster, Dave, ShawnX and 3 others like this.
  15. RichieSnare

RichieSnare Well-Known Member

Donna Lynn I don't think wrote her own songs, but they are all very fun and well composed. I love listening to them. She was a great singer!

16. zen

zen Senior Member

No. If I can feel the pain or joy coming through the music, I'm willing to listen whether the musician wrote it or not.

MaggieMac and goldwax like this.
  17. MaggieMac

MaggieMac Forum Resident

Personally, I want to hear good music. I don't care if the singer or the band member or the singer's mother wrote the song, I just like to hear music that touches something in me or brings me joy or a makes me sad or makes me happy or reminds me of something in my life. So much good music is collaborative, one artist bringing out the best in those they work with. Some people are incredible interpreters of music written by others. Others write on their own or with writing partners, and perform what they write. Good musicians can bring something to any song, and make it their own. The national anthem is the exception, LOL.

I grew up listening to music I enjoyed in all genres, and never gave a thought to who wrote it. If I liked it, I liked it. Taken to the extreme, now every young person who wants to sing or play in a band is pressured to think they need to write to be authentic or legitimate or respected. Many examples of aspiring musicians can be found in the internet who sound bad, but write their own music. It is a more rare gift than is thought. Many others are singing songs written by others, and sound bad too. All aspects of music reflect talent in different areas. Some write well, some sing well, some do both well.

I find it interesting that there are many acclaimed songwriters and composers who have been creating wonderful music for years of my lifetime, and before then. But if the only respect an artist gets is if they "write their own", will anyone be covering these wonderful songs in the future? Or any songs currently being written? Maybe the music really will die!

zen likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Elvis?

19. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

For the blues/rock/country genres, the singer/songwriters seem to be the most popular and longest lasting.

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Doesn't matter to me. As I've written on this forum before, I'd rather hear a good singer sing a good song than have a singer-songwriter "artist" who is only marginally talented at either craft.

Jackson and MaggieMac like this.
  21. Danglerb

Danglerb Forum Resident

What I don't like are good singers, musicians, who can't write great songs, but don't like doing other peoples material. Good music performed well I could give a rats behind about who the writer is.

22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Jeff Beck has hardly written anything, but he's a brilliant guitarist and cetainly quite expressive in his playing.
    What about jazz players who might play a standard in a different way from previous versions?

23. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

It does matter to me, a little bit. I thought that I didn't care at all until I realized that there were cases where, at least to some small extent, I evidently did. For example, I noticed that I liked Christina Aguilera's music a little more after I found out that she frequently writes her own songs, even though the songs themselves weren't any different before or after I found that out. It's not to any degree that I would call "important", but it's there.

I don't know if this is an unjustified bias or not; I don't think about it much because, like I stated, its effect on whether I actually enjoy music or not is pretty weak. But to the extent that I do think about it, I take a little comfort in knowing that it's a very human bias. Whether "authenticity" has any true, intrinsic value or not, people still care about it. People will go see Burt Bacharach perform and excuse his lack of singing skill because he wrote the songs that he's performing; they don't mind because they like the authenticity of hearing the composer sing. When people go see a show by a long-running band, they care if it's the band's original lineup even if the performance won't necessarily be technically better, because that lineup is the version of the band that is more "real" to them. (And they often care a little more if the lineup includes the principal songwriters!) So while "authenticity" may not be a value in some abstract, universal sense, it's at least a normal one to have.

Style Counts and Aaron52101 like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. I might admire those who write their own stuff, but I'll listen to whoever appeals to me...

25. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.