Does anybody know why Phil Collins wasn't immediately made lead singer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darby, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darby

Darby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious as to why when Genesis decided to hunt down a lead singer when PG left when their drummer had sung lead vocals on some of Genesis songs already which is pretty crazy, I mean how did he end up singing the lead vocals on "Absent Friends" when he had just arrived? Was it down to PC just wanting to carry on as a drummer and not finding it logical to sing and drum?

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It is what it is. Sometimes the answer is right under your nose, but it takes a while to find it

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

From the docs I've seen, it just didn't occur to them to make him front man until he tried it .

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That is my impression, yes. He probably wasn't sure how he would function as front man in concert while also performing drum duties, before they had struck on the strategy of bringing in another tour drummer.

Darby likes this.
  5. I wonder if Phil thought it would be too much to drum and be dnt an/lead singer without a secondary drummer (which I don't think they had considered at that point)

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, it wasn't an obvious thing to do because Phil was the drummer and wasn't going to front the band from behind the drums. They did intend from the beginning for him to sing some of the ballads on Trick of the Tail.

7. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Yeah, Phil would sing the portion to show the auditioner how it was to be sung and in each case Phil did it better so it was "Well, there you go".

8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

The vocals were just one part of it. They knew that Phil could sing. Lots of people can sing. Probably some of them sounded better to the band's ears (including Phil's ears) than Phil did.

The issue was finding a new front man. Someone who could command the front of the stage as compellingly as Peter Gabriel did, without being like Peter Gabriel, since the last thing they wanted to become was their own tribute band.

I think it took the couple of hundred or how ever many guys to audition to just get Peter out of everybody's heads. No matter how much they knew they couldn't replace Peter as Peter on stage, they had a much bigger issue. What would a new front man mean for the future of the band? What would it mean for the kind of songs they'd write? Because if Peter hadn't sung or written every song, he sure cast a long shadow across them.

THAT was the nut to crack. Who's the guy who can sing differently than Peter, that can be different on stage than Peter was, could handle the old songs, and could help the band be who they wanted to be going forward, as writers and as performers.

The drummer is the LAST guy you think of as being THAT guy. Rather than wondering why it took them so long to figure out, I give them all the credit in the world for figuring it out at all. And Phil all the credit in the world for more than rising to the occasion, imo.

Jimbino, Rojo, SuntoryTime and 23 others like this.
  9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I wonder did the prospect of having to pay a second drummer on tour factor into the equation as well? Remember they still weren't very commercially successful when Peter left, and there was probably pressure from their label to keep costs low until and unless they actually started raking in the big bucks.

10. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

From what I've read, he didn't really want to do it. He liked being a drummer, and to this day he considers himself first and foremost a drummer. But as someone mentioned, during singer auditions he would demo how to do the songs, and he sounded better than the guys auditioning. I guess it was finally his girlfriend who pushed him into suggesting it to the band.

When Banks and Rutherford gave the thumbs up, (not sure if they asked Steve :laugh:) Phil's next step was to find a drummer for live shows. He wanted Bill Bruford. When Bruford said yes, that was the final green light to become the singer. Or at least that's what I've heard happened....

Led to some of the best double drumming in rock.

11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Because he's wicked yoogly???

Ignatius likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They were afraid he would become a cheesy pop star and ruin their music but then decided that would be acceptable if they became hugely wealthy as a result.

13. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Because his voice is just plain annoying?

showtaper and Scott222C like this.
  14. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

This is correct. He reluctantly did it and it worked very well. Trick of the Tail is my favourite Genesis album.

15. +1.

How can you go wrong with SQUONK and RIPPLES on the same album.

utopiarun, Andersoncouncil and WPLJ like this.
  16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

He was already balding?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You're in the wrong thread. You're excused!

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not my favorite, but one of them. Great album.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Collins had sung lead before on some album cuts and unreleased material. There are reports that Genesis interviewed up to 400 singers for the role. But Collins eventually asked if he could have a go. The band recognised he was familiar with all the material so gave it a go. Collins was concerned who would drum, but was satisfied when Bill Bruford was able to join. That's what I heard, in brief.

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Because his voice is nasally and terrible.

Scott222C and The Trinity like this.
  21. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Collins would sing the parts to guide those auditioning, so he got pretty good at it. I'd love to hear Nick Lowe's audition.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He also sang unison lead with Gabriel on some songs.

audiotom and SG1 like this.
  23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Couldn't get insurance coverage...

Known drummer deaths for Spinal Tap:

• John "Stumpy" Pepys -- died in 1969 in a bizarre gardening accident.
    • Eric Childs -- died 1974, choking to death on someone else's vomit.
    • Peter "James" Bond -- spontaneously combusted on stage in 1977.
    • Mick Shrimpton, who replaced Bond, disappeared and is presumed dead, as his brother Ric replaced him in 1992 and interviews with Ric make reference to other Tap members saying "We're not sure we want to put your mum through this again." (Rip, June 1992). I can't find a cause of death stated anywhere, though.
    • In an interview on the Arsenio Hall Show in December 1992, David St. Hubbins referred to a drummer he did not name who had been accidentally packed with the band's equipment and never seen again. St. Hubbins also claimed then that the band had had 12 drummers.

24. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Here's what Mike Rutherford has to say about the situation in his autobiography:

Privately, the question of finding been too a new singer had painful for us to think about didn't since Pete had left: we just didnt go there. Some of the best stuff for the album we were writing new was instrumental, and for a while we thought about keeping it that way. However, we realized that it could get a bit boring without any vocals. But then who would sing them? It seemed an insurmountable problem.

We thought Mick Strickland had the right kind of bluesy voice for us and he also had a low-enough profile to be able to slot into the band. We knew it would have been even more difficult if we were bringing in an image as well as a new face.

Mick came in for an audition, but when he tried Squonk' it was in completely the wrong key: the poor guy battled through but it was never going to work

The next day Phil came in with a suggestion. "Listen I wouldn't mind giving it a go". Apparently Andrea, a Canadian girl he'd married in 1975, had encouraged him, but I think itd been on his mind anyway. "All right, go on then",and so he did.

Darby, SG1 and ARK like this.
  25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Oddly enough, when Genesis was booked into the London (Ontario) Arena (March, 1976 -
    first post-Gabriel concert), they hadn't settled on a lead singer yet. I was at the show and
    Phil seemed to us a natural fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.