Does anybody know why Phil Collins wasn't immediately made lead singer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darby, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

remember they didn't go pop after a couple of lps ,so maybe they didn't think he was what they wanted, plus having him out in front with the microphone was a big problem live, because he wasn't playing Drums

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

From what I remember reading, he initially didn't want to (in fact at one point he apparently suggested that the band become all instrumental, like Brand X.) The band didn't like one of the singers who auditioned, but they liked Phil's "guide vocals" that were used to teach the potentials how it should be done. After everyone was auditioned they let Phil have a legitimate try and the rest is history.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are various versions of the story quoted a few posts up from Rutherford's book where they picked one singer but found he couldn't sing "Squonk" in the key the band had recorded. I suppose if they liked that singer enough they could have tried the song again in a different key but instead it led to Phil taking over on vocals.

4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yeah. It must've just been something that became a mutual decision by the band.

5. SG1

SG1 Active Member

"Misunderstanding" (1980) is the song that first changed the direction and foretold of greater mainstream popularity.

WPLJ likes this.
  6. SG1

SG1 Active Member

This is how I recall the band telling of it at the time. If anyone was singing better (than Phil) it was not mentioned.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nobody invited a threadcrapper. Allow me to show you the door! :buttkick:

Back to the topic, I'm glad Phil became the lead singer. it led to my favorite era of Genesis (1976-81), and A Trick Of The Tail is my favorite Genesis album. Take a guess which song is my favorite? :cool:

TLMusic, anduandi, WPLJ and 2 others like this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I answered a question posed in the title.

The Trinity and showtaper like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Might have been "Follow You Follow Me"

10. SG1

SG1 Active Member

True. I thought of that as well. I much prefer that song. But as I recall Misunderstanding got unprecedented (for them) airplay and propelled them unlike before.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Misunderstanding" was also a turning point in that it was a Phil solo composition. Later the band would record only group-composed songs but in a sense it helped get his solo career moving.

SG1 likes this.
  12. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Good point. I believe it was written during Phil's 'Face Value' sessions.

Misunderstanding went to 14 in the US, 42 in UK.

Follow you Follow me went to 23 in the US, but number 7 in the UK! In addition it is mentioned in Wiki (for what's worth) as the tune that paved the way for a more pop future. It appears I have been influenced by my American experience. In any case, both were influential.

For comparison, 'I know what I like' did not rank in US, 21 in the UK. More of a mystical type pop- and the song that led me to Genesis.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  13. SG1

SG1 Active Member

I was glued to Selling England for some time after that....

14. SG1

SG1 Active Member

I believe around '71 or '72 John Lennon said he was listening to a relatively new unknown group that was pushing the limits: Genesis.

WPLJ likes this.
  15. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Steve Hackett:

“When I was with Genesis, I’ll never forget being on tour in America in 1973 when we were trying to make it there and hearing John Lennon say on WNEW New York radio that he ‘loved’ our album Selling England By The Pound,” he says.

“Even if I never ever sell another album in my life – I will always remember that. It doesn’t get much better than that – a tribute from Lennon, that the great man himself listened to our records. It gave us a heck of a buzz and real encouragement.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/music/ex-genesis-guitarist-steve-hackett-recalls-3443289

16. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Thanks!

TLMusic likes this.
  17. SG1

SG1 Active Member

For some reason I thought it was during the Nursery Cryme or Foxtrot time, but Selling England- in '73, makes more sense.

18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

maybe he wasn't made lead singer because the band knew this would immediately make them uncool.

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

After Trick and the ensuing tour, they all knew.

20. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Phil wanted to be lead singer all along but no one could figure a way for him to play the drums while wearing Peter's costumes - the big flower head blocked the toms and muted the cymbals and his feet couldn't reach the kick pedals with the 'blob' outfit on... :laugh:

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Cleaning your ears might help....
    Why can't you Collins-haters stick in your holes when a thread like this shows up.
    Sorry, but this is simply plain annoying.

keyXVII and ti-triodes like this.
  22. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yeah, whatever.

23. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yeah, whatever.

24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Other posters have captured eloquently the essence of the Phil to frontman story

So I'll embellish with the humorous aspects

phil in interviews (Genesis Song book, Sum of the Parts)

Paraphrasing here as closely as I can

I didn't want to be the singer, up there shaking me bum
    It felt undignified

Being the Drummer, that was such a most respectful place for a musician
    I didn't want to give that up

First I suggested we carry on as an instrumental band

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.