Does anybody remember the Citadel record club?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dasacco, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member Thread Starter

I could swear I was a member in the early 70's at some point. The records I have say "Mfd. by Capitol Records" on them however. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Capitol record club though.

Anybody have any info?

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I remember the name. No info, but I found ads for it from 1961, then located in NYC, to their last ad in late 1971 located in California. Around 1967 its ads said it was then a part of Longine Symphonette Society. The club originally claimed to make every record in Schwann available. LSS had connections to RCA and Columbia and Capitol to provide recordings and pressings for the various LSS box sets. By the end Citadel's ads and offer looked like the other companies' and it was probably absorbed into one of the others.

You can find the ads at
    THE HISTORY OF RADIO documented in thousands of PDF books and magazines

look for "search only audio group" on that page, click that icon not the text, and search for Citadel Record Club. -- Set to display 100 hits not the default 10 hits. --

Links there to 1972 and 1973 magazine pages are for Record Club of America ads which listed Citadel in its comparison chart, but Citadel was probably defunct by then, and also indicates Citadel was not absorbed into Record Club of America.

dasacco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.