Does anyone else think Aerosmith's Live! Bootleg is one of the great live albums from the 70s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

It gets mixed reviews, but I like it just as much as Made in Japan, just to name one.

Vinyl_Blues and mick_sh like this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yikes. I thought it was just a mess. Absolutely horrible. Not even sure if they're all playing the same song sometimes. Now, I've got some stuff they did live right around their first album where they are just sh!t hot. Too Bad is right.

Sear, Jeff449, Murph and 11 others like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not me. I've never liked it very much.

Maybe it's a "true" live album in that it most of it sounds like a**. I've always liked the "Train Kept a Rollin", "Draw the Line", "Strangers in the Night" mash up at the end, though.

You know, generally, this album gets pretty good reviews because it seems to be an authentic document of Aerosmith in their heyday. Sadly, Aerosmith in their heyday of the 70's, anyway, were pretty out of it.

Never the less, there are some good (i.e. rocking) versions of some songs here, but "Mother Popcorn" and "I Ain't Got You" fall flat for me and I despise the "Come Together" version on this. It's an absolute bore.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

It's no Made in Japan but over the years I've grown to like it. It has a strange charm due to it's rough qualities. Not my favorite live album by a long shot but it's not as bad as a lot of people think IMO.

The Revealer and black sheriff like this.
  5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I loved it, because it sounded just like they did live, before they died and were resurrected as the second coming of Bon Jovi. I was there, this is what they sounded like, and they RAWKED!

Not so much any more...

Graham, Fullbug, Jack and 2 others like this.
  6. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I was at the show when Sight For Sore Eyes was recorded for this album. 2nd Row off to the side in front of the PA's. They were totally wasted and even paused to pass a doobie around on stage. It was so loud when the first pick struck string it sounded like M-80's going off in your head. I couldn't even recognize one song they played even though I was well aquainted with their material at the time. Whole concert sounded like one big long freight train wreck. My ears rang loudly for two weeks afterward. Was glad to get the album when it came out to hear what they were playing. Other then that sentimental value it's of no use to me.

M321115, quicksrt, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I got this for Christmas 1978. Loved it then, love it now. The only Aerosmith I had in my collection for years and years.

Jonny W, daltieri and 905 like this.
  8. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

I always considered it okay - not super. However, I am ON that album. Well, sort of. The one or two tunes that they recorded in Columbus, Ohio, I was in the audience!

Fullbug, tkl7 and pscreed like this.
  9. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

That was the show I was at (see my above post). "Sight For Sore Eyes" the only tune taken from the Vet's Memorial Aud. Show in Columbus, 78 or 79 I'd have to look at my ticket stub to be sure. Can you still hear???

10. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

I'm fairly certain it was '78 or '77. Yes, it was very loud! Check your PM - maybe we knew each other? Good old Vets Memorial!

11. omom

omom Forum Resident

Love this mangy dog of a release.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

:sigh: ...ah, how much do you "like" Made in Japan?

Wally Swift and 2trackmind like this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

I love Made in Japan. If I had the "guts" I would request that Child in Time be looped all through my wake. If I had to choose one, I would certainly pick Made in Japan over Live Bootleg. But Live Bootleg has this mangy dog (credit- omom) charm that makes me smile. The word for Live Bootleg that comes to mind is "shambles" but in a good way.

zen and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed response. :righton:

905 likes this.
  15. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

My go-to versions of Sight For Sore Eyes and Chip Away The Stone are on that album. Smokin'!

Fullbug and CybrKhatru like this.
  16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yep love that version of Chip Away The Stone. Always like the lp. One thing it does capture is the craziness of audiences in the 70s with all the fireworks going off. You don't hear that these days.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Who has time for fireworks when there are 159 texts to be sent?

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't think Live Bootleg is one of the "great" live albums of the 70s but it is at least as good as Foghat Live.

19. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

i have never heard it. i do have the aerosmith show from central park that pretty well smokes along with a couple of others that according to reports are way better than the live bootleg thang.

Lou Ming likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No, there are probably 20+ live albums from that era that I would place ahead of it.

Natvecal. and DrBeatle like this.
  21. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

There would be serious consequences if people tried that at a concert these days.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

LB really needs to grow on you. At first I didn't care to much for it, but after several spins, I liked it a bit more. I actually like Classics Live II more because some of the performances are better. Plus it has Movin' Out, which Bootleg doesn't have. The band sounds very drugged out in this album, but seeing that the late 70's were Aerosmith's "blackout" years, it's no suprize. There are better live albums from the 70's, but LB is still good.

23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

It's my favorite Aerosmith album.

mick_sh and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

With all due respect, but no it isn't. Foghat's Live has tons more energy to it and far better performances. I consider Live to be one of the best live albums of the 70's and beyond. There's no comparison, imo.

BDC, Lonecat and coldethyl like this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd rather they release a full, complete concert from the 70's.

DiabloG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.