Does Anyone Just Listen To Music Anymore? (v2.0)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

Years ago I started a thread asking that question.

Several years ago, I bought an old double-CD of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (this one) and I'm playing it now. I don't know if it is the best mastering/pressing/etc. I bought it to avoid the remasters. And it sounds great to me. Most CD's we own were bought with that in mind: Old copy, won't be too loud and squashed, should sound good.

What I'm trying to get at is, instead of jumping on here all the time and trying to find the best ever version of an album, have you just ever gone "This is what I have and I like it" and just enjoyed it even if it is not highly regarded?

Apologies if I'm not coming across properly. I am a huge fan of this site (been a member since 2009) and sometimes I do hop on here with the intention of finding the best possible version of an album, but quite often I'm happy with what I've got and don't really care about "upgrading". Although I guess it does help to know what's good/bad to begin with.

2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

To me, "just listening to music" means focusing on the music alone; not socializing; not watching the NBA Playoffs with the volume turned off; not reading a magazine; not jerking-off on the computer... just listening to music.

I do that all the time, more than ever now that I'm retired.

And although I am FAR more aware of mastering issues since joining this forum, I generally have just one copy of an album on CD and I always listen to CD, not vinyl (even if I have both).

3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I can not speak for anyone but myself, but for me as long as the production doesn't distract me from the music, I'm ok. I understand why some want the best sounding version, and I respect that. For me it's about getting music I can enjoy. Good enough is fine with me.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You have a point.

When I bought records as a kid in the 70s, I didn't know what 'mastering' was. I was happy if they played all the way through without skipping.:D I mean, I was aware some records sounded better than others, but I didn't really get hung up on it. Records were expensive, so when I got one I made damn sure I cherished it.

In the 80s I switched to CDs. The ads all told us we'd never have to replace them as they would last forever. They didn't mention the upcoming remasters with bonus tracks that would persuade most of us to jump again.:) The needless remastering of perfectly fine sounding CDs was a trap many of us fell into. I did used to wonder why some of those early CDs were so quiet. Of course the remasters would take care of that.:)

But yes, there's something to be said for the days when we bought music just to listen to it. Instead of your first thought being how it holds up on the DNR database.:)

Mike McMann, dee, AidanB and 10 others like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah, that's why I'm still listening to (for example) The Beatles CDs from the 80s. Sound great to me. I have never had the inclination to "upgrade."

Edit: Small clarification: I do pay attention to opinions of newer remasters, however. This place was invaluable when picking up some Who CDs, for example.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I just listen to music. While i'm deciding which of ten different Masterings sounds the best.

#Audiophile for life.

7. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I joined this forum way back in 2006 because I was trying to work out why I found that I couldn't sit down and just listen, at volume, all the way through the remaster of the album Sparticus by Triumvirat.

Thanks to this forum I learned about the loudness wars. Whilst the first CD of Sparticus was about DR12 (and sounded great - with dynamics similar to the vinyl) the remastered version was only DR8.

Before I even knew about the loudness wars, before I knew about DR figures, I had worked out for myself that I have great trouble sitting and listening to a DR8 or worse recording.

So when I check DR figures when considering purchasing an album I'm now worried about DR just because some say higher DR is better. I'm checking out whether or not I'll be able to sit and listen to an album.

My guess is that most of the few who often sit and listen to music without doing anything else (except enjoying a drink :) will be people who think dynamics are important. And most of those who don't see what all the fuss about dynamics is about almost never sit and do nothing other than listen to one or more albums in a row.

Guy E likes this.
  8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

Absolutely, but 99% I prefer very first issues on both vinyl and CD.

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Despite what people think here, it doesn't matter. The music is all that matters. I developed my deep love for music listening on total crap turntables. etc. Fidelity had nothing to do with it.

10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I have to say I never thought much about mastering before participating in this community. I didn't know about brick walling and all that stuff. It has been an education that I have benefited from but always with a grain of salt. To my ears, the mastering work that is being done today sounds pretty great - recent sets by Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac and other 70's artists sound pretty definitive to me and are vast improvements over early muddy-sounding CD editions from the 80's and 90's. In a way, I'm rather glad my ears aren't sophisticated enough to pick up the flaws that some folks agonize over around here, but by the same token, I am grateful for and benefit from their expertise. I guess I'm kind of drafting on the Audiophiles, but I never let that get in the way of my ability to simply enjoy the music itself.

Guy E and gotblues like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I generally listen to music while working, driving, drinking or web surfing (which usually means here!). However I do occasionally just stand there with the old headphones on, doing nothing other than digging the sounds.

gotblues likes this.
  12. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

The low fidelity of crap turntables, cassettes, etc was a very listenable crap. That's how I started off with music as well. And I can still listen to say bootlegs recorded in the 1970s on cassette (eg many King Crimson club releases) and listen through the poor sound quality.

But the compression used for digital music is very different from this analogue crap. It's unnatural for the ears and brain, and the brain turns off and the ears hurt.

At least this is the case for me - one who is proud to put himself in the category of someone who often listens to music without doing anything else.

Lorraine, tin ears, dalem5467 and 3 others like this.
  13. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I`m getting older and I enjoy listening to music more than ever. That means sitting in front of the speakers doing nothing but listening and enjoying the music. It makes it even better if the recording sounds great. I will sometimes buy more than one copy of an album trying to get the best sounding version...but music is still the most important thing.

14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Nowadays I have too little time to only listen to music. The best quality time I have with my collection is in the car, during commuting. But I have to keep my eyes on the road, though.

Regarding looking for other/better versions: I think this is about the difference between optimisers and satisfiers. Personally I'm an optimiser, so once I learn there might be a better sounding version out there, I need to hear it and buy it if indeed better. This pattern happens, even knowing that what others think better, is often not what I think better. It's hard to stop. Now I'm looking for the SACD of John Legend's first album, Get Lifted. Although I play this album maybe once a year, knowing there might be a better sounding version starts the fretting and the hunting. Very exhausting all, if you think about it.

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am not in DR ratings and extreme SQ analysis but still if something sounds bad to me, then I am definitely looking for an upgrade.
    I appreciate the members on here who are analytical. It is good info to have.

ytserush, e.s. and Fender Relic like this.
  16. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

I think that's where most of us were at then. :)

So much time has passed, with so many changes, more physical listening options, and sadly zillions more artists gone, whose work is reissued in so many variant ways, that I probably would read up on things here in some instances before buying something. Vinyl's always been my preference but with its resurgence there's a lot to know re: mastering and pressings that I would never have given a second thought to, pre-CD era. I'm not an audiophile, but my 60-year-old ears are still sharp, I do a lot of headset listening, I do care about sound. However, I will still gladly listen to beloved stuff regardless of condition (except in the case of squished-sounding CDs. That's a Secret Professional Term, squished :D )

I'm somebody who plays old 78s with all their crackle and pop and thinks it's atmospheric heaven, so, there we are. Anyway, to answer this interesting thread question, I don't fuss too much, but do fuss a little more than in pre-CD times. I do think twice before buying CDs because so many of them just sound as if somebody has stuffed a ton of cotton in my ears/brain.

The other interpretation of the thread title might be does anyone dedicate a chunk of time to just listen anymore. No doubt I'm not the only one who still does.

:)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    mikaal likes this.
  17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

What matters is what matters to you.

18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I like the ongoing hunt for the best version but once I decide what album or unofficial tape to play I just enjoy the music. It would be sad if there were only mp3 versions of all the music I play but it would be better than nothing.
    With regard to versions of a title that are not well regarded opinion does vary. eg Led Zeppelin 2 original RL vinyl, 80s cd, Marino cd or latest hi res. All seem to have their fans but when I play one of my ridiculous number of versions of this album (that actually would not make my top hundred) I do just enjoy the music that is coming out of my speakers (even in the car).

19. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Unless I have heard a particular item has horrible sound I can live with fair sound. But if I have a choice and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg plus my first child I'll get the best sound I am aware of. I listen to music for the performance but I may browse the internet or read the mail. I don't consider the audiophile discussions irrelevant, but as an additional consideration. After all, something may have perfect sound but musically be dreck (and I haven't seen too many discussions of poor performance anywhere recently).

gotblues likes this.
  20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

It was a lot easier in the old days. Now there are 30 versions of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to choose from. This forum is a great help to finding the better versions of classic albums.

Rock66 and Fender Relic like this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Trying to have the best sounding source is worthwhile. I enjoy music regardless of "how good it sounds", but great sound is more enjoyable.

CybrKhatru, Rock66, dalem5467 and 4 others like this.
  22. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Sgt. Pepper's has been my latest little problem along these lines. Will I, won't I....
    I'm quickly losing interest in trying it (the new remix) as at age 60, I'd actually feel sad to hear something that wasn't "quite right".
    Sort of like those people who've had "work" done...you're polite to their face but later think....:shake:
    But regards the topic: music first, presentation second.

Guy E likes this.
  23. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Long story short, I'm now a Collector and pseudo-audiophile. For most things I'm happy with an LP or CD. For my favorite bands/albums, yes I will try to hunt down The Best in terms of mastering (within reason).

I grew up at the tail end of vinyl, with about 5 years of cassettes and then CDs. That's about 25 years of music listening/buying. For the longest time, I didn't know any better. Sure, vinyl crackled. There was tape hiss. Never bothered me.

Until recently, during the "new wave" of mastering. I found this board after I'd bought an awful mastering (might've been "Death Magnetic") and wanted to find out what the problem was. I found out alright ...

24. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

This is all I do.. if I stumble on a bad sounding copy, I will be on the hunt for new, with my vinyl hobby.

I have a spotify subscription, I listen to my local college radio station, I am obsessed with vinyl, and I have a 2000 cd collection. It's all about the music for me.

25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I want the best-sounding CD edition of a title, but within limits. I'm not paying more than $50 and I'm not hunting down a hard-to-find Japanese or West German edition.

So, while I traded in my 2000 London Calling CD for the better-sounding (though still compressed) 2013 reissue, I have no interest in pursuing the highly touted 1980s Japan disc.

ytserush and Audionerd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.