Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yeah, I've had far too many problems with trying to simply play Blu-ray discs on my desktop computer, but I still would not want to be without a Blu drive to rip discs and burn BD-R discs from image files. I have a slimline external USB Samsung drive - Wirecutter has good recommendations for both DVD and Blu drives (the one I have is their previous pick for best Blu drive). The Blu drives can be had for quite a bit cheaper than the price listed by Wirecutter if you keep an eye on sales at Newegg, Amazon, etc.:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-external-blu-ray-drive/

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm finding for used dvds I have to look for a different source for finding obscure DVD titles as I find the same familiar DVDs everywhere. That's the problem when you have a large ( mines is not huge)collection.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well since my DVD buying now is almost exclusively music concert DVDs/Blurays and 2/3 are opera DVDs I don't have a choice. I am lucky if I can find the DVD. As for films, I never buy a movie DVD that I don't expect to be able to play occasionally through the years.

4. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

The last DVD box set I purchased was HBOs Band of Brothers in 2005. Now my wife and I only purchase blue ray tv series or movies that we watch over and over again ie game of thrones, the walking dead, mad men etc.

alexpop likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Just bought a DVD-MOD set of the first season of HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, the 1957 TV series based on the film and starring Barbara Eden. It'll never make it to Blu-ray or high-def, and I wanted to see it again.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. I have Steven Spielberg's Taken mini-series on DVD coming. I've been meaning to pick it up for years. A wildly underrated television mini-series that came and went.

7. alexpop

Yeah, the good TV series deserves the blu ray box.

8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'll buy DVDs and Blu-rays of things I really love and want to keep. Streaming is too uncertain- many times I saw something I wanted to see on Netflix, and when I went back a few weeks later it was gone. Things are taken off of these streaming platforms all the time

9. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

"Does everyone still buys and collects DVDs?"

Yes!
    [​IMG]

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

^This.

I'm worried that I would buy something on streaming and then if the studio lost the rights, I am locked out of it. If large hard drives were more reliable and it was legal to rip your own stuff, it would make more sense to get a NAS and host your own streaming.

11. jjhunsecker

Beautiful !

12. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I collect the DVD, still collect em' and probably will collect em' forever, I'm done changing media at the publics whim.:righton: La de daa de da dee daa tis summer!:tiphat:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

A lot of movies seem to rotate from service to service. For example, one may be on Netflix for a while and then be gone overnight only to end up on Hulu or Amazon Video. And some of them are available concurrently on multiple platforms at once.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I like DVD's. They're the CD's of Film.

Grand_Ennui and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

That's more than mine.
    dvdtheken excelsior.

17. alexpop

The advantage of collecting DVDs now assuming you've got the space is that about 99% is worthless. Best to keep /rainy day view. If production standards are high, classic film ( your definition) upgrade to blu ray.

18. alexpop

That's a neat description.

19. alexpop

I'm tempted to buy a 4K title.

20. alexpop

I like to put them in brand new spanking case, gives them the kiss of life, I'm a bit anal about that.

21. alexpop

The Name Above The Title"

22. alexpop

Must be about 5000 there ?

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm curious how much longer they'll keep producing Blu-ray discs. With 4K UHD being the new high-fidelity format, and DVD still way outselling Blu-ray, it seems like they would just slowly taper off production in favor of 4K/DVD/Digital HD.

24. alexpop

I was buying some new low priced DVDs 1.99/2.99 /blu rays 1.99.
    B Movie schlock ( yeah, I know ) and a young lady was buying some DVD thriller. I pointed out to a blu Ray title ..she told she didn't have a BD player.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. jjhunsecker

True, and then what happens if you susbscribe to one service and not the others, you're out of luck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.