Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

HERO is an excellent movie...

2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Thank you for that Michael! I have plans to watch it tomorrow with a friend of mine.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

your welcome...let us know...

4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Oh yes, Not so much with DVD these days unless its something which hasn't had a Blu-Ray release and its usually TV Shows which are the only things on DVD I still buy because a lot of them haven't gotten a Blu-Ray release. But as for movies I made the switch to Blu-Ray at the end of 2013 and haven't looked back. You can easily get 2nd hand Blu-Ray titles for $6 a piece. Have no real intention to upgrade to 4K at this point it just seems rather pointless unlike the junp from SD to HD was.

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

We wound up watching Criterion's "One-Eyed Jacks" (Marlon Brando) today. When we do watch "Hero" I will definitely post an update.

ando here and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

cool...

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nice when you actually see rare ( can only find at) charity shops DVDs suddenly appearing in big department stores new at el cheapo prices.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I dropped the big money on the Columbo blu-ray as well as it’s my favorite series and agree it was a very nice jump in quality, plus some of the episodes have a little more footage cut from the standard dvds. I kept holding back, sure that if I bought it a domestic version would come out the next week but it doesn’t look like they are going to release it in the US. Either way, I have enjoyed the blu-ray so much the last two years I don’t care if it comes out cheaper now. It’s a neat set in that cigar box...highly recommended to any fans. Grab a copy before they are gone! I was lucky and got a used one, I think on this forum, but it was still around $350!

SteveM likes this.
  9. Michael

Is this region 2 locked?

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I gather it is getting harder to find things on DVD (if you don't have blu-ray).

11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

For new movies i always buy the DVD/Blu Ray combo packs if available. Bluray for my living room TV and DVD for my laptop and bedroom TV. A win win.

Otherwise for older movies i dont have in either format, I tend to gravitate towards DVD mainly because its usually cheaper. However if the Bluray can be gotten for the same or similar price i will get the bluray. Flea markets and charity shops have been a goldmine for increasing my DVD/bluray collection as of late( and my vinyl and CD collections too for that matter...but that's a different topic)

Even though bluray is overall superior in format, i still think DVD is pretty damn good most of the time, and usually good enough for most movies i already owed prior to the birth of Blu-ray. I mean, i like Smokey and the Bandit and Canonball run , but do I really need to rebuy them to get them in 1080p and 4k? For movies like that the DVD is more than fine and that leaves me more money to buy movies I don't have.

Growing up with VHS, I'm still grateful for DVD as an adult. It still looks and sounds a lot better than that older format for the most part, not nearly as sensitive to environmental factors and doesn't get stuck/tangled up in the machine. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    snowman872 likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes i buy DVD's sometimes.
    It is almost always music and often bootleged stuff not available officially.

I try to now only get new stuff on Blu-ray but...........
    I feel that some of these with footage from the 60's & 70's show up the limitations of the original tape source (picture & or sound) too much and that the DVD's can sometimes be better in this regard.

Anyone else or am i mad?

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

When DVD hit the markets, I was slow to take it up, sinfally crumbling when Carpenter's The Thing was out. I ended up buying a couple thousand (I'm a huge Horror movie fan, especially Italian, Spanish, and Japanese movies - along with Video Nasties etc.)

Back then (not now, sadly) I had a projector, and a screen 12-feet wide. DVD looked good.

When Blu-Ray appeared, a decision had to be made. Would I replace, or what? I made the decision that, at the end of the day, while Blu-Ray clearly has a better picture, I was not going to upgrade my titles. At the end end of the day, it was the movie that was my prime focus, and I didn't want to go down a road of chasing pixels. I was at the time projecting to a big screen, without every sitting there worrying about the quality, so I was good.

Amazingly, I stuck to it! I no longer buy DVD's. On the other hand, I don't buy movies at all. I bought just about all the titles I wanted on DVD. I still watch a lot of films, but I download them now. I still have my collection on DVD though. Whether they have any monetary value is of no concern for me, that's not why I bought them. I suspect my collection is worth a £100 total. So what? It's the movies I was after, and I have them. :)

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Pretty much like Vaughan said. I've probably seen or own just about any older horror or Giallo film out there. What I like about DVD is that the proper aspect ratio can be obtained, not always true with downloads and streaming. Also, with my dyd's upsampled to 1080 there isn't enough difference to make me switch to blueray. I'm a holdout. When I do buy a new disc these days it's only because it was a great deal and it's a film I'd like to see more than twice. That narrows the field. Especially in these bleak days for movies.

Vaughan likes this.
  15. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

I buy concert/opera Blu-rays and DVDs.

I often rent movies, £1 for a week) from my local libraries. They get the movies when they appear in the stores, e.g. HMV.

16. alexpop

Getting a rare DVD is like getting a rare cd.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Haven't bought a video disc of any type in yrs. I have a question, that I actually asked of a video tech who came by last week. To my eyes, if you watch the same movie via bluray compared to broadcast TV HD, the disc is clearly superior every time. So much so that it's almost false advertising to call both formats HD, as one looks SO much better than the other. I said to the tech, we have SD and HD, shouldn't there be ANOTHER designation? He totally agreed with me on the difference in quality but said it would be a real headache to try to differentiate between the 2 'HD's'!

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

HD has become somewhat meaningless. We had SD, HD (720p), then HD (1080p). But wait, there's more - UHD, (4k). With 8k on the horizon it's all a good excuse to sell more TV's, rather than impressing us with the quality.

When buying my DVD's I obsessed over anamorphic, totally uncut, widescreen etc. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again, believe me!

200 Motels and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Great thing about DVDs now ( 99%) is there're worthless, 10 cent a trade. So rather than hassle yourself ..hold on to them I say.

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I get Blu-ray. When I can't get the Blu-ray, then I get a DVD.

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I will buy music DVDs, because that is usually my only option for ever seeing them. And I will always watch music DVDs multiple times.

But I tend to rent film DVDs because I rarely want to see a film more than once. I do own several film/TV DVDs but it’s less than 10.

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Walmart had a large bin of $5 DVDs that they just got ride of.

23. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

I do for rarer exploitation/horror or interesting things. For the blockbusters I normally get the BluRay or buy it for my iTunes Cloud

24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

The only problem is that, with older exploitation titles (particularly giallo), newly restored BR releases of a title can often result in a major reappraisal of their worth. Nth generation bootlegs or low grade online streams sell a film short (particularly with respect to colour palette and aspect ratio), so viewing, for example, Eye In The Labyrinth or Giallo a Venezia as intended can be, if not exactly revelatory, then at least worth the extra dollars. I accept that this is a problem when boutique BR releases can top $50-$60, but some films definitely warrant a rethink when debuting on the format after decades of obscurity and/or shoddy releases.

genesim, unclefred and Graham like this.
  25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I saw that "Documentary Now" seasons 1 & 2 are on DVD now, so I bought them today at Target.

Edit: I just noticed that it is on Blu-Ray, so I am going to have to return the DVD and get the Blu-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.