Does Anyone Still Own Cassette Tapes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by twistandshout, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious if anyone still owns cassette tapes and plays them?

HairyWeimer, 10gauge and longdist01 like this.
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

3. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I still have most of my mix tapes.
    Used to play them every so often but stopped after a few got eaten by the deck.

HairyWeimer and lightbulb like this.
  4. twistandshout

do they still play after years and years or does the tape get dried out and breaks?

Galley likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just played one not an hour ago. Admittedly, it's been sitting on a shelf for 27 years, and I had to try two different decks to find one that worked...

6. twistandshout

Oh, that's good to know. Wasn't sure if they still played. I found one that I never opened and it must be 15 years old.

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I listen to cassettes in the car all the time. My wife has a tape of French Christmas carols that was a copy her brother made for her about 25 years ago, which still works fine.

HairyWeimer, dennman6 and longdist01 like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

This was a Denon brand cassette that we used to record the concert. I guess, in hindsight, that we made an excellent choice.

HairyWeimer and longdist01 like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Actually, I lie.

I tried both sides of two different dual well dubbing cassette decks. So I actually checked four different cassette mechanisms.

I'm sure I could fix the other. The main thing that kills cassette decks is old drive belts. The rubber dries out and sticks to the rollers. It's cheap enough to replace them if you're handy with tools.

10. twistandshout

You have a cassette player in the car? Newer cars don't even make any CD players now. How do you play cassettes in the car? Do you have to have a blue tooth or IPod? I'm not too familiar with this newer technology.

11. twistandshout

Thanks Chris....I always liked cassette tapes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has them.

longdist01 and Scope J like this.
  12. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

all the time. one local store has em for .25 up to $2 for a "desirable" release. way cheaper than CDs, which are already cheap...

HairyWeimer and DiabloG like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Why throw away media? Here is the Wall'o'Cassettes (the left hand shelf).

[​IMG]

The right hand shelf is other obscure formats. The very top of the shelf is BetaCam SP. The one below that is 3/4" U-Matic. Below that is mostly PAL VHS.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I still have around 150 or so. I haven't listened to many in a long time, but as of recent I have started to play them again. They still sound pretty good.

15. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I have a few hundred. All nicely shelved and filed. I listen to the odd one occasionally. Still really enjoy owning them.

16. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Loads. Up until 2011, I didn't own a car with a CD player, so cassettes were my go-to for in-car listening. I have loads of TDK D-60 and D-90s taped directly from the LPs. I finally upgraded my car and can use CDs or even an iPhone (heavens!) but I hung on to my tapes. I love the way they look, and I put a lot of care into making good copies of the records. In some cases it's a "safer" way to listen to rare LPs (collections of Greek folk music that I have no idea how I'd replace if anything happened to the record) on my main system without hassling with connecting an iPhone.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  17. twistandshout

Wow Chris - great photo. Looks like you have quite a collection. Remember 8-track tapes?

longdist01 likes this.
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

:laugh:

Used to have a gazillion of ‘em, most of ‘em Maxell gold tapes. Those suckers sounded AWESOME!!! :cool:

Btw., making a mix-cd-r just isn’t the same as making a mixtape.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  19. marka

marka Forum Resident

No 8-tracks?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Lol, we have a couple of 'classic' (as in old) cars that both have factory cassette players. One of them has a CD player that crapped out this year. The other has just cassette, (but it also has a weather band radio!)

We plan on getting every last mile out of both (knock on wood,) I don't know what we will do when it's time for a new car, I don't want any of that touchscreen bluetooth GPS nonsense.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have a lot of my original music on cassette as well as a choice selection of the best sounding prerecorded albums on cassette. I also have several of the best top of the line cassette decks, most have Dolby S and sound very, very good. My cassette decks get regular use, as do my turntables, CD players, not so much so.

22. Chris DeVoe

I only have one - the US 8 track release of Kate Bush's The Kick Inside.

On the other hand, I never throw away a media player. Here is the shelf above my desk here in Chicago:

[​IMG]

From right to left

JVC 3/4" U-Matic deck (with Time Base Corrector above it)

Sharp Multistandard VHS deck
    Sony SL-2710 HiFi Betamax deck
    Mitsubishi HS413UR VHS deck
    Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc player

...and last and least, a thing called a "turn table".

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have hundreds and all my favorite Beatles vinyl needledrops that I transferred to HQ cassette years ago...

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sure I remember them. Every time I get in my Chevelle I stare at the player.

25. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Yep. I'm currently listening to a cassette recording I made this morning. The Party Boys Rage LP recorded to TDK SA90 and played back on my Denon DRS-810G.

HairyWeimer, 56GoldTop and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.