Does Anyone Still Own Cassette Tapes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by twistandshout, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Coincidentally, I just bought that very thing. A Willy Hermann rebuilt CR-7A. I should have it next week.

shirleyujest, clhboa and 56GoldTop like this.
  2. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Love your avatar! RIP Doc.

Gretsch6136 likes this.
  3. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Thanks Dave. I'm pleased you know who Doc is! Face To Face was the first album I ever bought. I was 9 or 10 years old, back in '78!

4. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Yes I still have about 25 or so salvaged from youth that I play in my car. I drive a 17 year old Audi that has a cassette AND CD player...how about that?

5. TapeHoarderDude

TapeHoarderDude New Member

Yes, I still have cassette tapes. But it can be an expensive hobby due to the high prices on ebay. NOS metal bias tapes sell for a lot.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Lessee, I think I might still have a few.....

...yeah, about 2,000 aircheck cassettes from a 35+ career in radio.

Oh, and probably 300 mixtapes and artist compilations for the car...which no longer has a hole in the dash for them anymore. :shrug:

vwestlife and Dan like this.
  7. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

Yes I do, In fact I'm listening to some right now. Sounds Excellent and got my Deck working again for the most part. The story is I couldn't Get my original Deck Fixed even though i cleaned it. I took A look in there Were Deep Scratches across the head. So it was unusable. But the Good news is I Its a Dual Cassette Deck so I cleaned The other one out with a Q-Tip and Alcohol Let it Dry for A Few minutes. and Play it and It works.
    [​IMG]

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There's a NOS / Unused RCA dual well in my basement that likely only needs a simple service (Belts and Whistles) that's yours if you want it.
    I wouldn't expect it to work out of the box due to age. But, the heads are perfect and the unit looks as new.

*Edit : It's an SCT-550*

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

where is a good place to sell them?

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

fleaBay and Discogs.

I sold off a few undred Hip Hop and Rap Cassettes on eBay last Spring. I just wanted the racks.

11. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Nope....actually, in their heyday, all I ever owned were cassettes made from needle drops. I NEVER bought a studio released cassette. The quality of high end blank tape (TDK/Maxell) was superior to what was mass produced.

12. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Won't work for me as I refuse to use paypal.

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Why?

Get a throwaway checking account and have at it...or, use an established eBay seller and pay the commission.

14. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

More than I care to admit -- well, okay, a few hundred. But I don't have as many of those as I do reel-to-reel tapes. :rolleyes:

shirleyujest likes this.
  15. wvsteveo

wvsteveo Forum Resident

Yes...I have about 30 or 40 studio released cassette tapes that i play very occasionally through a Yamaha KX400V deck. I have about the same number of mix cassettes I ripped from CDs back in the late 80s early 90s for playing in the car before I had cars with CD players. Sounds pretty good, but not my first choice as a playback medium.

16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I own a number of cassette-only releases, such as demo recordings, compilations, and EP's, which prompted me to own an actual tape deck.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

In the house is this small collection of mostly very limited, cassette only titles. Out in the garage is several hundred live tapes from the 80's/90's that I need to at some point transfer to digital.

[​IMG]

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

So what is the plan? I have about 1000 or so, and I keep fungouling around about it.

M

19. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I still have a bunch of pre-recorded cassettes from the late 1970's and early 1980's. There was a trend by independent artists around that time to issue some releases on cassette only. Examples include Throbbing Gristle, Zoviet France, Minutemen and some stuff on ROIR label like the NY Dolls & Suicide. I also have some cassettes of live performances recorded off the radio. I occasionally listen to them. Fortunately, I still have a working cassette player.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Here is the oldest pre-recorded cassette that I still own from 1969.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those black plastic encased tapes were sometimes hard to open too! ;)

21. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

^^^ I borrowed (and returned) Foghat's s/t w/ a strange case like that.

o.k. I pulled out the Nak BX-100 and it still works!

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

These old Atlantic cassettes look pretty neat. I'm trying to track down Zeppelin and Yes albums with this packaging.

23. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Got rid most of mine years ago. Kept three irreplaceable cassettes of prewar recordings from when I was learning blues guitar. I'd originally copied them from reel to reel tapes. I am keeping the cassette player in a cupboard in case I want to play them sometime. Transferring them to digital is on my to do list.

Find it disconcerting listening to The Yes Album on vinyl now because the track order was different on the cassette release version I used to listen to in 1970s.

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have 50+ of them in a box. Haven't listened to them in a long time. I never bought into the cassette revival.

25. Bmotb

Bmotb Active Member

I noticed the ma-xg in the photo. I made some pretty good tapes with those on my nak c7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.