Does anyone use Pro-Tools (Mac audio editing)??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lisa, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know that they offer Pro Tools For Free (PT), but it only works on Windows 98. Obviously, they don't care about Windows users.

There is something like a Pro Tools Lite that will run you into some serious money.

Personally, I use Audition 1.5, and it is every bit as good as Pro Tools.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Get an M-Box for around $400 or a 002 for slightly over $1,000 (rack mount version). I have a 002 rack mount at the studio for doing PT transfers. It works great! I also have a set up so I can clean up records.

PT is the standard now. You can find used systems really cheap now.

3. brstp

brstp Active Member

I used a full version of Digital Performer in my Electronic Music Composition class sophomore year...it made Pro Tools look like shareware. :laugh:

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, remember all, just because PT is the industry standard doesn't mean it's the best. Most studios just happen to have a huge installed base of Macintosh computers, and they don't want to change because it's too costly in terms of engineers re-adapting and learning. The makers of Pro-Tools know this, so thay have dominated the market with very expensive gear. It's like studios are almost forced to use Pro-Tools, especially now that the very name of it makes a studio credible in a client's eyes.

I know studio owners who just have Pro Tools for show, then use something else when the client's not around to see.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Just like SSL. Those don't really sound all that good but they are the most popular console because they were the first to have a usable automation system and engineers got used to them and learned how to make them sound good.

PT LE (002 and M-Box) sounds much better than the older TDM systems. I also hear very few complaints about the HD systems, and none of them are about sound quality.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

:agree: :agree:

Boy, I wish that Neve would get on the bandwagon, and improve their automation :rolleyes: Just imagine...a Neve with the automation capabilities of an SSL... :love: :love: :love:

I have never been a ProTools fan. I have been using the competition, Nuendo. At Columbia, all of the studios are fitted with ProTools, and 2" analog :love: . However, there is a Nuendo room, which I find myself working in quite often. I just save everything as OMF, and I can go back and fourth between the two pretty easily. I have found that Nuendo sounds so much better than ProTools. It is really like night and day.

Below is a recording that I made, direct to a two track session in Nuendo. This was a sound check for a series of live direct to two track recordigns that I was engineering. I was mixing on a small Midas console. I ran the console output into a Universal Audio 2-610 (all EQ flat on the 2-610) then from there, into my digital interface. I recorded at 24/48. The MP3 was ripped from the master.

This recording is a bit low end heavy. The recordings were actually bass auditions. The band leader made it quite clear to me that he wanted to hear the bass. This bassist ended up passing the audition.

www.srctape.com\demo1.mp3

7. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Sounds really nice Joe. Nice to get to hear some of your stuff.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Lisa,

I use Pro Tools at work and like it well. I have used it since version 1.1. I use Sound Forge XP at home on my Windows 98SE PC. I like Pro Tools for multi-track work and fancier digital editing and prep. The NR plug-ins work great when used sparingly.

Kent Teffeteller

11. RedSprites

RedSprites New Member

I have two PT systems. An older Mac one and a newer Mbox that I use with my mobile PT rig (In a backpack and a bag).
    The newer systems do sound better than they did a few years ago. They have worked on the mixer algorhythms and things tend to not collapse and get thin like it did 5 or 6 years ago.
    Sony just put out some restoration plug-ins (Yes, it does include de-noise but you don't have to use it) for around $700-800 US dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.