Does anything good remain unreleased in The Monkees' vaults?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

In the past 25 or so years we've had a pretty amazing flood of Monkees rarities released thanks to the efforts of Rhino. We've gotten way more goodies from the vaults than I ever thought we would- unreleased songs, alternative takes, alternative/unreleased mixes, and so on.

So my question is this...

Is there anything in the Monkees' archive that remains unreleased that we know exists that you'd like to see released?

I was going to say maybe the complete 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee soundtrack but I don't think any master tapes exist for that anymore (right?).

The reason I bring it up is that I have to assume the well is running pretty dry by now, right? I keep thinking that there can't be very much left that hasn't already been released somewhere since Rhino got ahold of the catalog.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I would love to see a CD box release of Davy's last tour with the Monkees coupled with Mike's return that followed.

3. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The interesting thing about the Monkees' "vaults" is that every time it's thought that all that could be found has been found, Andrew uncovers things no one even knew of, or thought existed. The more he digs, the more he comes up with. At this point, it's all wonderful surprises. :)

HolsteMan, Hep Alien, noahjld and 5 others like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

If someone could find that Japan '68 show, I think all Monkees collectors would purchase that.

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We are down to alternate mixes, takes, and backing tracks now. I doubt there's anything in the way of unheard songs unless some boxes are found that Andrew talks about in his day by day Monkees book. I'm okay with alternate mixes and I'd love to hear some of the original demos done by the songwriters.

6. PaulKTF

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Hep Alien, Keith V and Grand_Ennui like this.
  7. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I don't think there are any great unreleased songs, but there appears to be an endless supply of session tapes they have used to pad out the deluxe volumes. I respect the fact that many people enjoy that stuff, but I'm not one of them. They are one of my favorite bands ever, but unless something surprises me I have probably made my last purchase.

8. Pizza

What's special about that show?

9. I think what Rhino has done for The Monkees is great but I probably have all I need by now.

10. PaulKTF

Nothing really, except that there aren't a lot of live Monkees concert audio sources out there so we'll take what we can get. :)

Pizza likes this.
  11. Pizza

I will when they re-release headquarters sessions. Please. . .

12. empirelvr

It's special because it was a videotaped television special, broadcast in Japan only. It's not just an audio recording of a show. The audio exists, but there seems to be no trace of the video itself, nor any information about it other than it was two half hour shows, shown originally on consecutive nights. We don't even know if it was in black and white or color. It's a true Monkees' Holy Grail.

13. PaulKTF

By 1968 I doubt they'd film it in black and white even if it may have been originally broadcast in black and white (which again I kind of doubt). If it still exists anywhere it's likely to be in color.

14. empirelvr

I agree, but I'm old enough to have learned never to assume anything. ;)

HolsteMan likes this.
  15. Yes indeedy. I'd definitely want The Headquarters Sessions if I didn't already have it.

Gardo, Sammy Banderas and Pizza like this.
  16. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

You can get a download of it. And I think it's streaming on Spotify,

I for one hope it's not re-released. I bought it as a limited set & expect it to stay that way.

GV1967 likes this.
  17. Pizza

I get that and a long time ago I used to be that way about releases. I long lost that need and no longer care about an item being limited short of trying to get a copy before it's gone.

I held a copy of sessions in my hand and thought it was a bootleg, something the store I was in sold a lot of and I usually try to avoid. I found out a few days later it was legit and went back to get it and it was gone.

If they ever do re-release it, I hope they change the packaging so it both: 1. Conforms to the packaging of the later special editions and...
    2. That it distinguishes it from the earlier release for those like you who have that issue and want it exclusive.

18. Pizza

When you're tired of it, let me know. ;)

19. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I'd say it's also special in that they were at their peak as a live quartet - which each of them said in some fashion, at one time or other. There were also songs in the set list at the time that they never otherwise played as a quartet in the Sixties - and played quite well ("Cuddly Toy," "D.W. Washburn," "Daydream Believer," "It's Nice To Be With You," "Salesman").

I think the only thing I regret in hindsight is that they waited until The Monkees Present deluxe edition to fully open the floodgates on including backing tracks. There are some Nesmith backing tracks from early 1968 ("Tears of Joy," "Empire") that I would like to hear. It would also be interesting to hear Peter's rough attempt at "Who Will Buy." It's very tantalizing to read about some of these in Andrew Sandoval's book but not have an audio version to compare.

Like others have said, anything else at this point would be a pleasant surprise, e.g., complete session reels for Headquarters and PAC&J or items thought to have been lost for good (the very first session with Snuff Garrett, the unfinished version of "Carlisle Wheeling" made for Head, the two Changes outtakes). It makes the new TV show Blu-Ray set all the more exciting because we are getting so many rarities and outtakes, which heretofore has been relatively rare for their video output.

20. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

When the recent Monkees Super Deluxe was released and contained some recently discovered unique mono TV mixes, I thought that ALL of those mixes would eventually get released (probably they have enough for MOTM and HQ and PAC&J - I think we are not sure of any that came after that - they may just be folddowns). Now, maybe we won't get them (at least not in full, at their glacial pace, until the year 2020 - if at all). I'll buy it if they do get released. Are they going to be on the new Blu-Rays (I don't have a player)? Wish they were on CD's.

But that's gotta be it for me - I can't continue to shell-out big bucks for one or two "found" and three or four "new" mixes and some fluff.

21. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

I would love the backing tracks to Head.

swedwards1960, Pizza and D-rock like this.
  22. PaulKTF

I might be the only one but I want to hear Pool It! outtakes.

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Plus? Their playing is miles better than it was in 67. They really caught fire on a few tunes, reportedly with next to no rehearsal. If memory serves, there's a pretty hot "Mary Mary" in that gig.

24. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

According to Andrews book, what sounds like some pretty cool incomplete Nez songs are still in the vault. I don't think they've all been released yet.

Hep Alien, Sammy Banderas and D-rock like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It'd be really nice to hear that '68 concert without the annoying announcers talking inbetween songs and over the beginning and ending of songs...

marc with a c likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.