Does anything good remain unreleased in The Monkees' vaults?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yes, you might be.

2. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Not so fast :)...I posted this is another thread; I would love any of this and that's the fun about wanting everything Monkees...they have plenty still left for completists (even the reunion years):

Then & Now/Pool It! Era
    Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere -unreleased Bobby Hart produced version
    Daydream Believer - Stereo Mix 2: Bass, Drums and Piano are re-recorded
    *In the Music Box Disc 4 liner note...it mentions that they were offered 4 new tunes for Then & Now...what was the fourth one?
    MTV Christmas Medley
    Reunion Blues - Pool It! Photo Sessions
    Going To The Chapel - Pool It! Photo Sessions
    Other Chatter (Riu Chiu, Mr. Sandman, Amazing Grace, etc.) - Pool It! Photo Sessions

Justus Era
    Manchester Boy - Justus Sessions
    Regional Girl - Alternate Lyrics: Hey Hey It's The Monkees TV Special
    Antarctica - Hey Hey It's The Monkees TV Special
    Monkees Medley - Hey Hey It's The Monkees TV Special
    Monkees Theme - Hey Hey It's The Monkees TV Special
    You And I - Acoustic Start: Justus Video

Not Fade Away - Boys Meets World
    My Girl - Boy Meets World

Other
    Christmas Is My Time Of Year - Both Mixes
    White Christmas - Both Mixes
    Christmas at The Isthmus - Chip Douglas Produced (Check out interview with Chip Douglas via monkeeconcerts.com: (http://www.monkeesconcerts.com/blog...ee-exclusive-a-conversation-with-chip-douglas)

Not sure if these were ever recorded, but interesting
    Daydream Believer - 2001 With Natural
    I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone - 2001 With Natural
    Valleri - 2001 With Natural
    http://www.mtv.com/news/1438874/monkees-swing-back-into-action-on-the-road-in-studio/

3. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

At 72 Mickeys voice is still great and is on some of Circe Link and Christian Nesmiths living room concerts. I ran across this snippet of Randy Scouse Git on u-tube.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

That was terrific! Thanks for posting it. :)

5. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Did that "I can't wait to play the violin" or something like that, sung by Davy, ever get released?

6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It was on Headquarters Deluxe I believe..
    "If I Learned To Play The Violin"

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  7. Sportzfan

Sportzfan New Member

"If I Learned to Play the Violin" was first released on the Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees CD-ROM in 96, I believe. It had the virtual Monkees pad you could explore, extensive inteviews, videos, etc.. I haven't looked at it in years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

I had a low budget Monkees cd I bought in 97 "I'm a believer" with Ceiling in my room"!

9. readr

readr Forum Resident

There are a some interests still in the vaults. Off the top of my head:

I'd like to have a discs worth of sessions for MOTM, PAC&J and BB&M. I think that would be an easy order for Andrew.

Rhino has the 1968 Concert in Japan source cassette tape that was traded around and has considered releasing it, from what I heard. I'd pair that with the Phoenix show from 1967, or tag then onto some other deluxe box.

Also, Head incidental music from a master source (I'm pretty sure this exists, since Andrew played bits of this over a Nesmith interview podcast), it may possibly exists in stereo - especially would like a wider stereo of Strings - Ken Thorne (the released version is darn near mono). Andrew just recently hinted of a find on the newly discovered extra reels/video from the 33 1/3 special. I would speculate that there are removable audio tracks, like those found on the series tapes. If the 33 1/3 tracks could be lifted off the tape, that would be a "holy grail"-type find....at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind a Missing Links deluxe box set when they finished the deluxe box set series....a nice ribbon and bow on the end of an awesome campaign. The BB&M sessions stuff could land here, and maybe those concerts, etc.. Any "missing links" would qualify, a real vault raid. Sweep it clean.

10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

And being it was cut into two half hour airings, that'd explain why most of Mike's songs aren't in the show... They probably filmed the entire show and edited stuff/songs out to allow for commercial breaks... Their shows were generally an hour long, so something had to be cut out...

I think they opened the floodgates on backing tracks with the deluxe edition of "Instant Replay": Nearly the entire third disc is backing tracks...

D-rock likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

While I'm not a big fan of their "Pool It!" album, I'd still probably buy something like you're suggesting... "Pool It!" has a few okay moments, it just sucks that Jones put the stops on Peter's ideas which, according to the album producer, were very good/interesting...

D-rock likes this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's not unreleased, but I'm surprised that Christmas Is My Time Of Year and White Christmas have not featured anywhere in the Rhino campaign. The Changes reissue would have been a good place for the originals, and the revamped version could have gone on Pool It.

13. PaulKTF

Maybe the master recordings don't exist anymore? Also, it would be kind of weird to have Christmas songs tacked onto an otherwise secular recording.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I don't know if they'd fit in on a "Pool It!" reissue, but they'd probably be okay on some sort of "Monkees 70s/80s revival" compilation: Where else could they go?

15. PaulKTF

Yeah, I guess they'd fit on a 70's/80's compilation but the problem si that not enough people would buy it (unless maybe it was a Rhino Handmade thing?).

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The Chip Douglas Christmas tracks should be out, but where would they go? (Calling Ian)

I know a lot of the Friday Music releases are superfluous, but I wonder if they even made any attempt to add the three Arista tracks to Pool It. (The live "I'll Love You Forever" should have been on there too, as well as the 1986 "Daydream Believer" remix.)

As far as actual unreleased stuff we haven't heard, it does seem we are down to backing tracks and alternate mixes, as was stated earlier. I do want to see the rest of the TV mixes come out, and it would be great if the Snuff Garrett session and Changes outtakes could surface some day too.

17. Grand_Ennui

I think you're right about that...

18. PaulKTF

An album of all the true, proper TV mixes (including all the unreleased ones) in order of when they were broadcast would be pretty cool.

HolsteMan, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

I wouldn't mind if they released a CD with all the songs that were released on the bonus 45s that came with the various deluxe sets... (And wasn't there also a 45 released if you ordered the original 2 CD editions "The Monkees" and "MOTM"?)

Hep Alien and Smartin62 like this.
  20. PaulKTF

I'm sure we'll get that stuff in the bonus material of the eventual Super Dee Duper Extra Special Deluxe Editions of the albums. :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I don't recall that. The 45 of "I Didn't Know You Had It In You, Sally" / the "no-horns" mix of "Daydream Believer" was an extra if you bought both the 2-CD deluxe editions of Headquarters and Pisces directly from Rhino's website, as I recall.

Unless I really missed something!

22. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Wow. That is a voice that has really held up over the years.

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There is the ever-popular "Pinball Machine." Sorta their Carnival of Light!

NOS300B likes this.
  24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

no 45 with the 1st 2 albums

25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I remain unconvinced!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.