Does Carnival of Light *Really* exist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

That's the tape where John sings "Do you want to hold a *****?" on his way to the bathroom. Classic :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's encouraging. ;)

DrBeatle and vince like this.
  3. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Yes it does exist. According to Paul McCartney, George Harrison vetoed inclusion on Anthology, along several other unreleased tracks. Very few people have actually heard the track. It is said to be random, non musical with no sense of tempo, rhythm, melody or structure. Paul McCartney told the press in 2008 that perhaps the time had come to release it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Please refrain from alluding to Driving Rain in this thread. Please stay focused on the topic at hand.... ;)

Johnny Reb, dino77, klaatuhf and 4 others like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

COL was heard by the guys designing Rock Band

there is a hidden Easter EGG on the Rock Band game and it unlocks only if you buy both the SGT Pepper and Abbey Road installments and find it at a particular level (hint - studio knob)

The piece is long, very engaging but it is near impossible to hit all the chord combos to get far enough to hear the whole thing

DrBeatle and Boris number 9 like this.
  6. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

It sounds like John released it as the Nutopian National Anthem

7. Boris number 9

If only that was true

audiotom likes this.
  8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Let's face it some Beatles fans would want to listen to an unreleased recording even if it consisted of John farting for ten minutes.

9. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Because by 2008 popular music was non-musical with no sense of tempo, rhythm, melody, or structure?:)

Boris number 9 likes this.
  10. Boris number 9

I'd like to hear COL. We could quantized it, edit, use pitch correction,eq, delay. Find the unused overdubs for the alternate
    Mono stereo mixes.

I think we 'll want to hear it.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe I'll book some time at Abbey Road and when the engineers have their tea and crumpet break I'll saunter over to Her Majesty's Tape Vault and ascertain what I can. "Giles, what's this then? Carnival of Light might be just what we need for our mash up."

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It's only ten minutes?

Haristar and Boris number 9 like this.
  13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm wondering if maybe he confused John's "Barcelona" with George's "Eldorado" in "Revolution 9." Certainly wouldn't be the first time Geoff's book has been shown to be inaccurate.

14. Boris number 9

How is it things like the sessions album or white demos or Barrett tapes all fell into the public realm it nobody can find the last bit of stuff. What do they have plexiglass with SAS guys up there. I'm picturing a huge bank vault with laser scanners criss crossing the Abbey road tape library.

15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Are you not happy that you have all that other stuff instead of Carnival of Light?

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I think if your last name if Martin and you're suitably attired with a white lab coat and proper tie, you probably could trundle in their with one of Her Majesty's Royal Barrows and empty the place out before anyone was the wiser.

A friend of mine stopped in there when visiting London and wanted to know if he could just 'hang out' in Studio A. He was told that it was a 'working studio' He responded "Not a problem. How about if I just rummage through the tape vault. You might have some interesting stuff in there."

petem1966 and Boris number 9 like this.
  17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Wasn't that already released? Unfinished Music no. 4

18. Boris number 9

Sometimes I order the soup and salad both.

But yes given a choice I'd rather have the three double volumes of anthology.

I'd rather they just release whatever tracks are left and call it something clever like, The Beatles last anthology.

19. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Onion soup?

20. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

A duet with Yoko? Kind of like a follow-up to side one of The Wedding Album.....

ajsmith likes this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It was not a normal session tape, but meant to be used for the 1965 Christmas record. Notice that it cuts out all of the proper recording. Of course, none of it was used for the Christmas record (and The Beatles would continue to fail at cutting a Christmas record for a while, full of ambition but unable to yield anything good enough to release, and finally going back to the tried and true formula used for the first two Christmas discs.)

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

@Glenn Christense has a copy of COL that he won't share. So if he's posted here acting like he hasn't heard it don't buy it.

zobalob and Boris number 9 like this.
  23. Boris number 9

When McCartney occasionally plays a copy of the acetate for friends, they are strip searched before and after and must be scanned and xrayed for any hidden recording devices. They do however receive vouchers for the gift shop and veggie cafe. A new exhibit will feature a lifelike anitromic recreation of the Morse Moose session.

ajsmith likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I know you're joking but that can't be too far off - everything else has been bootlegged but CoL. The Beatles know the fans are dying to hear it so have made it virtually impossible for anyone to copy.

25. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I heard it. It really stinks! :drool:

Culpa and Boris number 9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.