Does DTS "Fold-Down"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YaQuin, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nah, DTS is a hell of a lot of fun. Sounds good, and is possible for people to experiment with... :)

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It is possible to downmix dts to stereo, but you might not get a particularly good mix.

I'm not familiar with your dvd-a player, but I assume it has a speaker set up menu. If the player's factory settings are that you have a surround set up, then you would only hear the front two channels when hooked up to a stereo receiver or preamp. If you tell the player that only the two front main speakers are present, your player should provide a downmix to stereo at the stereo analog outputs.

BTW, should this thread be moved to the hardware forum?

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Computers *must* be able to do this. The software PowerDVD has a DTS decoder...you are *not* telling me it can't output into stereo!

-D

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

David,

Exactly. Soundcards do not have DTS DACs. You have to decompress before you convert. DTS indeed becomes 6 channels of PCM before it goes analog.

While in this state, things like realtime mixing are certainly possible.

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

There is no such thing as a DTS DAC anywhere.

A decoder chip, which usually handles both DD and DTS, outputs PCM which goes to the DACs. The decoder chip also handles any downmixing before going to the DACs. If you look at the middle of page 18 of http://www.dtsonline.com/whitepaper.pdf , you'll see that DTS has similar downmixing and dynamic range capabilities as DD. These hold true for any DTS decoder including software based computer utilities.

- Gabe

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I know. I guess I was being overly specific in only mentioning soundcards.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The DTS technology has it's rules and regulations because of how the technology was invented.

Sure you can demux DTS using PowerDVD, but it's not exactly roses. For now, there IS NO DTS demux or ripping software. Just encode, and that's SurcodeĀ© software. It's awesome, but freaking expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.