Does EMI/George Martin bear some of the blame for the sound of the Beatles US LPs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PetSite, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetSite

PetSite Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was talking with some friends about the US Capitol LPs of The Beatles and how Dave Dexter added echo/reverb etc. But something had been bothering me about this as I got older. At least for the duophonic mixes, doesn't EMI and George Martin (and Brian Epstein) bear some of the blame? Hear me out.

After the first 2 Capitol LPs were released in the US, The Beatles come over and there must have been an awareness on GM and BE's part that Capitol was going to put singles on LP's over in the states. Now they didn't do that in Britain and elsewhere, but the US did, and it was their biggest market. So when a track was sent over as a single, shouldn't GM have gone ahead and made a stereo mix and sent it along as well? He did for the tracks from the LTS EP, and the Bad Boy / Dizzy Miss Lizzy track. Capitol could have requested stereo tracks, but the word PROACTIVE comes to mind. Just wondering what others feel.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Not if Capitol didn't ask for stereo mixes. It didn't need them. Look at the sales figures.

Smartin62 likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It's Yoko's fault.

:winkgrin:

Chuckee, Aftermath, Hall Cat and 2 others like this.
  4. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Be grateful--they coulda turned out like all The Kinks early recordings.

5. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

No. In the early 1960's mono was the main format, stereo was an afterthought until the late 1960's when it then became the more popular format. Besides, stereo mixes were often done days, or longer, after the mono mixes were made.

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Things weren't rosy between Capitol and EMI at the time. Capitol felt they knew better than EMI what the US market wanted to hear. If Capitol had wanted stereo mixes they would have asked for them.

ohnothimagen and Smartin62 like this.
  7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Sure, there is enough to go around.

Adam9 likes this.
  8. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

As I understand it, for "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman", George Martin's team actually added quite a bit of echo to the tape that they sent Capitol. I believe that Capitol added even more echo on top of the already-echoey master that they got from EMI.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.