Does Heart ever recover from the 80s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash006, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

"Artistically" is a matter of pure opinion not debate. There is no way you can through debate change someone's mind on something (music, a painting. etc.) they like or dislike, or what one may find as "artistically" relevant or not … unless you feel your opinion is somehow more valid than the next persons. As far as fashion, looks like typical '80's fashion as well represented in previous posted photo's.

ian christopher likes this.
  2. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I like the SH forum a lot, but the constant 80's bashing is getting old, tiresome and repetitive. So many negative threads here are ruining my experience. I know I have a choice of what I read or don't read, but the trend is hard to ignore. I liked Heart from the 70's when I called a radio station at the age of 8 to request Barracuda, thru the 80's and still today. I find something to enjoy from each album regardless of who wrote it, produced it or made the band wear spandex or not. I'm just hoping Heart can recover from the current situation of Ann and Nancy on separate career paths. I hope there will be a Heart in the future.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A lot of idiots post here, and they do it frequently. The herd mentality dictates that comments about "80's production" are somehow enlightening and original.

Seriously, if "Never" or "These Dreams" come on the radio, who really spends time pondering production techniques from 33 years ago?

4. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

what is this "radio" you speak of?

ian christopher and Fullbug like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

If you agree to record a song like All I Wanna you're selling off everything. They must have known it. So, NO.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  6. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Ann is just happy that she no longer needs to feel ashamed and hide behind a box whenever the camera zooms out during the 80s

ian christopher likes this.
  7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Ah, we need folks who dressed "normal" before the 1980s then?

Grace Slick: HOLD MY BEER.
    [​IMG]

8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The Eighties were greaties! You had Tom Petty, Replacements, GnR towards the end, and a bunch of other people.

24voltsdc, ian christopher and Purple like this.
  9. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

The music and the fashion of the 80's are fine, hell - awesome to me! I'm guessing everyone here was dressing like accountants or members of the Descendents back then? It's actually fun to dress like a fashionable goon occasionally. Try it sometime!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're gonna disagree, but I don't think Slick's hair/garb are nearly as absurd as the styles sported by Heart circa 1985.

I agree that pretty much everyone had moments of "bad fashion" in the 80s, but Heart took it to a greater extreme than their peers...

Vic_1957 likes this.
  11. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lol excuse me? I think all of their first four albums are really good, just that Dreamboat Annie is a standout.

12. ash006

The selftitled cover makes me laugh.

13. ash006

Disagree, I just... don't jive with the direction they took in the 80s. It was kind of a shock to me honestly, and I keep listening but... eh.

14. ash006

So silliness aside, the vibe I'm getting here is that Bad Animals might be worth checking on, but otherwise I should pick up on their 90s work and then listen to their this-century revival stuff. Thanks for all the input!

15. ash006

I went to sleep for a bit, is that a faux pas here? Also I wouldn't say that Bebe, Private or Passionworks are like terrible albums, I just realllllly don't dig them.

16. ash006

Well holy ****, three pages... aren't you guys active. If y'all like the 80s albums don't let me ruin your enjoyment, I just don't think Heart made it into the 80s that well. Can't deny that 1985-1990 was a highly lucrative period for them, but I was talking purely artistically. It is undeniable that they would have slipped into WHERE ARE THEY NOW territory without it. Again, just don't jive with it. I also don't "hate 80s production"? Like I'm not some pre-digital purist that thinks gated reverb is the devil, sheesh...

Some good discussion here though.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Heart's S/T and Bad Animals saved their career. They were an adrenaline shot in the arm for a band that was on fumes. And that's coming from a guy who can't stand either album.

905, Doggiedogma, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  18. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

The thing with Heart, is because they've been recording for many, many years, is there are different eras. I think they adapted to the different eras, but retained their own individuality, also. By 1985, they had to play the 80s game to a certain extent to survive to the next era. They did not get swallowed up with the arrival of grunge. Horrible, horrible by the way.

eddiel likes this.
  19. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

80's heart is hilarious.
    I think their hair occupied half the stage!
    And that was just the guys.

20. steelvelvet20

What would the Wilson's have done had they rejected the offer from Capitol records? They keep saying they regretted caving in to the 80s ballads, fashion etc.

21. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

The Wilson's also deeply regret depositing those royalty checks into their bank accounts.........awful just awful.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I think the videos where they tried to hide Ann's weight by zooming in on her face or shuffling her off to the side is what they have to live down. And that horrible All I Wanna Do song.

23. steelvelvet20

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

And lol back. Saying the following three albums as "decent releases" is not the same as "really good." Decent sounds like an average reaction to me compared to it was really good. But I stand by what I said. I don't think you'll find later albums "really good" by your first post.

25. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Under appreciated gem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.