Does "Mulaney" seem like a cheap Seinfeld ripoff to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

For those who are confused by my posts in this thread, this post pretty much sums up the point I'm trying to make, where reading something as factual and comprehending the facts are two separate things..lol...

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

When I said "Which is what you've been saying all along, right?" I was only referring to the final part of my previous sentence -- the bit about the primacy of making up one's own mind. You HAVE been saying that people should make up their own minds, haven't you?
    I understand your dislike of critics and how you feel they unfairly influence the opinions of those who haven't seen what they are reading about, but I am puzzled at why you would dismiss the "reviews" (your sarcastic quotes) of the viewers themselves as "ridiculous." You yourself said not long ago that "now that you've watched it, you are qualified to give an opinion on it"; additionally, you have already asserted the importance of the individual perspective when you said "I believe MY opinion has real value." Has your opinion of non-professional viewer reaction changed, or are you not expressing yourself well?
    But you have conceded that viewers who have seen the show are "qualified" to GIVE (i.e., share publicly) an opinion on it -- you never said that viewers should keep their opinions to themselves because of the "undue influence" they would have on unwitting readers. Why are you even participating on a message board if you are so convinced that reading other people's opinions is so damaging to one's OWN opinions?
    Well, that's only YOUR definition of "being informed" -- perhaps that's an example of YOU defending your opinion as the "gold standard of all opinions"? Again, a message board where everyone kept all their educated opinions to themselves would be a very boring place, and I'm increasingly baffled by your on-going crusade against people having opinions -- everyone except yourself, of course. Your opinions are all "factual" and true.
    Your analogy is extremely flawed. First of all, music albums are issued all at once; TV shows (outside the Netflix model) are issued one at a time, generally with a week in between them. If a music album of 12 tracks was issued one track at a time, with a week in between, and I didn't like the first few tracks, then yes, I might decide I don't want to hear any more. Isn't that my right as a consumer? Besides, I've already stated (multiple times) that I will continue to watch, to see how the show evolves -- so once again, you can't respond to my posts without constructing and knocking down (badly) straw men. Did you learn in college what a straw man argument is?
    You know, for someone who is railing against how publicly-stated opinions negatively influence the thinking of readers towards the subject, you sure don't mind doing it against me. Over the course of several posts, you have implied that I was a troll, you have said that I've been "ruthless" in my "condemnation" of the show, you've said that I wasn't giving the show "a fair chance" and that I was trying to "convince [you] that reading a review of anything is better procedure than judging the product on it's own merits." All of those accusations have been completely untrue, and you've been unable to defend those positions when challenged on them -- yet you continue to distort my posted views in order to prop up your responses, like suggesting that I think my opinion is the "gold standard of all opinions," which again is absurd. So I would ask you (again) to please provide examples of all these things you accuse me of, or admit that you've been doing the very thing that you have been complaining about -- poisoning the thread against my posts by mis-representing them and condemning me personally without the evidence or knowledge to back it up.

Deesky likes this.
  3. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I'm sorry that my review of your posts is not to your liking.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The Dunning–Kruger effect comes to mind.

Billy Infinity and Sean Murdock like this.
  5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

They just chopped the episode order for this series from 16 episodes down to 13 episodes.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

^^ In other words, FOX cancelled the show, but doesn't want to officially say so. (Production just wrapped on the 13th episode.)

guy incognito likes this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I didn't enjoy the Halloween episode so much. Except for Dan Mintz 'cause he sounded like Tina Belcher.

guy incognito likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Poor show this week. Nasim singing around the apartment the whole episode would have been more enjoyable to me than the final result.

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

They didn't even bother sweetening the laughter. The silence after some jokes was poisonous.

10. Sean Murdock

That's interesting, because in general I've found the show's laugh track to be overpowering.

11. Guess Nasim can't go back to SNL, huh?

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I said last season Nasim should have held both jobs as insurance until "Mulaney" became a hit. She was usually only doing one SNL skit per episode anyway so it would not have been impossible. I think going back to SNL now would be a big step back. Luckily for her, I think she is attractive and talented enough to be able to find another opportunity elsewhere.

bluesbro likes this.
  13. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

You don't go back to SNL-- I don't believe anyone ever has.

But Nasim will be fine. I really like her in this show.

tonyc likes this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Harry Shearer did.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Al Franken?

16. Sean Murdock

Yep.

17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Saw it last night. So bad and not funny.

18. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Also Brian Doyle-Murray and Don Novello, plus lots of writers (Tom Davis and Jim Downey, for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.