Does something legal or other preclude thrift shops like Saver's in Canada to sell SS LPs as "used"?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ParloFax, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Loads of quality label LPs (Teldec, Argo, Archiv, Euro London, Euro Philips, etc.) have landed at my local Saver's (in Canada, Value Village/Village des valeurs). The entire lot of this specific collection is still shrink wrapped. Something peculiar and unfortunate though with them... Apparently the store slit all of them open at the pocket in order to stick inside, out of view, their new higher price stickers ($2 instead of $1)! (Which the cash attendant then has to look for all over the place with her scanner... Megastupid I know!!)

Each and everyone of these records look fresh and unhandled/unplayed, and I have never seen a classical music fan not caring to look up the gatefold for information, etc. So I highly suspect this was done on purpose by the shop.

But is there a reason they'd do that? Instead of just putting them on display under lock, as brand new, with a big price on them?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Maybe they were checking the record for defects. Cracks or warps. Old sealed records can be a crap shoot sometimes. Although it’s hard to imagine a thrift store would be conscious of something like this.

I once went into a Salvation Army and the guy putting out the records was ripping off the shrink wrap on every record that had shrink on it. Very bizarre and I enjoy collecting records in shrink.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

AFAICT they're all pressings from the 80s, late 70s at the earliest. All fresh as roses... I must refrain myself when I go there! Trying to get down to the bottom of the "To play" box/cull the music library on one side... ...then comes this on the other! :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.