Does Sundazed Records use the original master for it's LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

The mono version of Surrealistic Pillow is being released soon and that would be an interesting one to get.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Consensus says, including Steve at one point (from memory) that the ORIGINAL master for the mono mix is AWOL/destroyed. RCA used another generation down, and so is Sundazed.

This is going to be the best issue available, from what I hear, supposedly superior to the RCA gold disc that featured a mono mix. Don't hold your breath. For the price they ask, it's no big deal. It's WORTH trying.

....Or would you rather fight on ebay for a VG- pressing and pay up the kazoo?

3. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Picked this up yesterday locally and it sounds very nice. I don't have the gold disc, and my system is nowhere near as good as many of you have here. That said ,it's still a steal for the 15.00 I paid for it. Ditto Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" which cost me 25.00. I'm not inclined to try and chase down originals. Between looking for Steve's excellent work and my Beatles's jones I'm broke enough.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, I believe somebody here mentioned they talked to Bob, and not only did somebody find the original mono mix, they found the multitracks for the album.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If that's true, then that's wonderful news. Let's hope the tapes are in great shape and that they get stored properly!

6. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Aren't those the tapes used for last year's Jefferson Airplane "Ignition" box, which has mono and stereo versions of Surrealistic Pillow?

Both sound prety good to me and the stereo is much better than previous versions.

GM

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Ignition box uses the gold disc mastering of Surrealistic Pillow.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.