Does the music biz now see a good reason to promote vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr Bass, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

All I think it means is that something larger than a 5.25 picture was readily available.

videoman likes this.
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It's also a better object to hold in your hand and look at while you are listening to the the album than its jewel box equivalent. Which is one more reason the format is gaining ground among those who still care to own physical discs with music on them in 2014.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle Thread Starter

I understand your point but isn't there something significant in the fact that there IS something larger than a CD readily available? Will that be noticed by the music biz is the question? Or is there some alternative that can be done to market the album? No one seems to have an alternative yet.

4. videoman

videoman Senior Member

No.

When a new release on LP sells 500,000 copies, get back to me. Or even 100,000. Until then, there isn't enough business there to be beyond a very small niche market.

5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yep. Makes the cameraman's job much easier. If they use LPs more now than 10 years ago, it's only because they press a few copies on LP today while 10 years ago they pressed zero.

Not evidence of the labels pushing the LP format more than the CD or the download.

6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't think liking rock artists (aka "dinosaurs") as opposed to more current styles of music is going to be at issue.
    People who have the kind of hearing and brain that process music in such a manner that it does something drastic to them to listen to it will demand higher quality and will continue to reject the apparitional downloading for hard copies until the day comes when downloading it reaches the quality that CDs have. Which it likely will in the near future.
    But that will not matter unless the quality of what is pushed on the herd gets better, because if it does not the true artists and the small time fellows who post their music for a fee will rise to the top. I often wonder if this happening will include a resurgence of real recording studios and musicians abandoning computers.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yep. I've bought between 60 and 70 new releases so far in 2014 and one was on CD, and that one was only because the LP wasn't coming out for a couple weeks and I couldn't wait. Any new album I want is on LP, usually for under $20. How much bigger do I need it to get?

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Need to ask the local places the same thing.If so,that would be staggering news.Next question would be at what dissentive and who pays freight.

9. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Evidently UME feels the answer is a resounding 'YES.' Look at their vinyl release calendar.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Reversal here...

no, that is saved for better fantasies than the return of mainstream MONO VINYL...LOL!!!!

11. Michael

I am thrilled for you my friend, but it's still dead in the water...

12. Michael

Alan2 likes this.
  13. Danby Delight

But why should I care if it's "dead in the water" if I can buy all the LPs I wasn't and more? Why does that matter to me?

MrS likes this.
  14. Michael

for me...if it all goes away I have too much as it is...glass of pop up to you as well my friend!

15. Michael

of course, but you pay the price...I like buying used CDs at 90% less than a new slab of vinyl. I'm happy you get what you need so easily...really, I am.

16. Danby Delight

So you can buy used CDs for $1.80. I'm pleased for you. Luckily, I can afford $18 for a new record the day it comes out rather than having to wait. Different strokes, etc.

Wilco and MrS like this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

+1 on this. The old folks will grow older and the trendies will grow up, start families, and put their turntables in storage in order to keep them away from small kids, lest they get hurt (both turntables AND kids).

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just walked into a local Barnes and Noble today and saw something new - a display of vinyl LP's. Not too shabby for a "dead" format.

Keep on wet dreamin' for all the good it'll do you.

MrS likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

How much are new CDs vs new records?

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

If that happens, all their records will get picked up by the next generation. And the wheel just will keep turnin'

21. Michael

prices vary-cheaper by far...I usually go for used CDs which are a great these days...

22. Michael

exactly! you get it...it's all about priorities... I'm pleased for you that you can afford new vinyl.

23. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

and i'm thinking on this:

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2010-06/1275429982_798461_3.jpg

24 bits files flacs are pretty superior than a CD i'll gladly change all my cd's for fruits like that. :D

However it is not a solution because they can be so easily copied. Something new must come....

24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Live performance. It's the 1800s all over again. Back to the Future, my friend.

25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Jack White's Lazaretto sold 60 thousand copies its first week. I wonder what the sales are up to now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.