Does this qualify as a "minty" mac preamp??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoman076, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3030858960&category=14978

I just spent the last 2 hours or so in the archives looking for some pre amp suggestions, and the board seems to like the Marantz 7C and the Mcintosh MX110. So.... I started hunting around and came across this on ebay.

What do you think? Would this make a good companion for a MC202??

It looks pretty darn awesome!!:) :) :)

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

NO question, the condition appears excellent and the pictures look awesome! :thumbsup:

Pairing it w/ your MC202 is an interesting concept that should generate a wide variety of opinions. You're introducing the pairing of Tubes w/ SS and Vintage w/ Modern debates.

Personally, i think your MC202 needs the benefit of some tubes in the chain so a tube preamp sounds like a good idea. Many of my friends prefer to do it the other way around, SS pre and Tube amp.

As for the vintage/modern thing, there's my concern. Not sure i would do that. :)

-Jeffrey

3. Jeffrey

Hi,

Oh yeah, if ya do decide to go w/ a vintage McIntosh tube pre, don't forget to look at the C-20 & the C-22. :)

-Jeffrey

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

NO! $1,000 for an MX-110 WITHOUT the proper wooden case? C'mon...

You have a fast, dynamic sounding solid state McIntosh stereo amp. Why screw it up with a SLOW vintage preamp? Those are for slower VINTAGE amps. You need a MODERN tube preamp. MODERN being the key word.

Trust me on this, please.

Perhaps a used:

Joule Electra
    VAC
    Audible delusion
    ARC
    Conrad Johnson
    Cary
    Etc.

5. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I agree on all counts. I got my MX-110 in similar condition for $665.

I'm using it with a Mac 240. I'm using a Audible Illussions or Conrad Johnson (depends on my mood) with a highly modified HK Citation II (might as well be a modern amp) and the combination is excellent.

6. Geoman076

Thanks all, just the info I needed.

Let the modern tube preamp research begin! I love this board!!!!:) :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

7. Jeffrey

Hi George,

Most audiophiles have little or no concern mixing and matching different makers gear. As usual, i'm different. I would be prone to look at the new McIntosh tube preamp. IMO, it would probably pair up well w/ your new McIntosh SS amp.

-Jeffrey

8. Angel

Angel New Member

As Steve mentioned already, a tube preamplifier should be your last purchase. You must see how your speakers and amplifier mate with each other first. All preamps have their own distinct sound. You need to find one that enhances the rest of your equipment in the best possible way. All tube preamplifiers do not sound the same!!!

9. michael w

michael w New Member

Hi Steve,

LOVE that name !

Audible delusion

:laugh:

10. Geoman076

Yeah, I didn't get the joke until I started searching for it on audiogon!:laugh: :laugh:

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry, I wasn't dissing the thing, it's just my way....

12. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Rather than quote someone I thought that I read that one must exercise caution when mixing Tube gear with Solid State gear on account of the impedance requirements generally differ between the two.
    This may or may not be a problem and one must factor in how close or far the pre-amp will be from the amp and the type of interconnect.

Best advice, from me, would be to audition the candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.