Does vinyl only make sense if they're pressed from analog tapes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Remote Control Triangle, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yep.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Agreed on your first point. I don't have to ask the studio what they use, because I am happy with the sound. Early in the 2000's, I hated what they had with LE and chose to do more work with EMTEC 900 or whatever Quantegy/Ampex 499 I could find.

This is, however, a project where 24 tracks aren't going to cut it; we have all kinds of vocal overdubs, sound effects and things going on. Being able to digitally manipulate certain sounds is key. Even if I had a budget, I would still choose PT every time for a project like this one. 4 or 5 piece live band off the floor? Then we can talk 2". But not this.

Again, I have heard the horrible earlier A/D's. It was like the inboard DAT ones of the late 80's/early 90's. They sounded abysmal. The new stuff just does not have that problem, and PTHD(I believe we're up to 11 or 12 now)does retain the sound of things tracked on 2".

I have used that UAD plugin. I respect it, nice GUI and all, but it still doesn't do what tape does.

Dan

3. Vinyl 'records' only makes sense if they are mastered from the best available sources.

4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

....and so do CDs, DSD and SACD, can be said for any/all formats really

snkcube, c-eling, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  5. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork Thread Starter

Right on. Would like to hear the album when it's done!

6. let your ears be the judge of whats good or not.

jon9091 likes this.
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes and I try to avoid all albums that were done this way. To me they sound like crap and make records sound LESS GOOD than they are..... (The late 70s really started to suck as far as this)

I WANT ANALOGUE ON MY ANALOGUE MEDIA! (Records,cassettes,8 tracks)

12" 45rpm likes this.
  8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Digital masters in the late 70s?

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No digitally mixing in the late 70s (I have heard sone :()

10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Maybe just a hair more fatness to the sound. It already sounds pretty big. Then again, we may not like what it does. We certainly won't like what it does to our wallets!

Dan

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Yes, sometimes the vinyl version is the only chance to get a non-brickwalled version of new music.

12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I would probably say "almost always" the vinyl version is the only chance to get a non-brickwalled version.

Tullman, wgriel, JustGotPaid and 4 others like this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Where do you get the information that a different master has been used for the LP vs. the CD? It's perfectly common for an LP to be cut from the same master as the CD. A cutting engineer might lower the overall level when cutting an LP from a hot, brickwall-limited master. But the cutting engineer can't uncompress the master. There's a good chance with popular music today, that the same master is used for both formats. The LP may be cut from a hi-res master, the CD is obviously converted to 44.1/16. But you can't undo whatever dynamics processing the mastering engineer has done. There may be separate LP and CD masters, but unless it says so on the back of the album, you can't know.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    MrBungle82, Mugrug12 and Deuce66 like this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think you're reading too much into the statement. It's not that it's positive that a different master was used, it's just that when you compare a CD that is brickwalled to the same title on LP, the LP doesn't have all that brickwalled unpleasantness. It doesn't mean that it's DR-13 audio paradise compared to DR-6 purgatory, it just isn't the squashed mess on LP that it is on CD. If you're skeptical, try a couple of titles. I understand even the notorious Death Magnetic sounded much better on LP than CD.

nosliw likes this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Some labels will advertise that they use dedicated masters for LP from the original mixes, namely Blood Music.

There is even a dedicated discussion if it uses a dedicated master for LP from the Metal-Fi.com forum thread here: Metal-Fi's Official Dedicated Vinyl Mastering Thread -

16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It's false to say it doesn't make sense to cut a record from a digital file because if you download the file it would sound the same. Actually, a digitally sourced record will never sound exactly the same as a digital file of the same take/mix/master. It may sound better or worse depending on multiple factors. If it sounds better, then it makes sense. If it sounds worse, then it doesn't. Since sounding better or worse is somehow subjective and system dependent, it makes sense to release both so the consumer can chose.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Pancat and nosliw like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

And in some cases it's the bricked dog-log that's already been damaged (shaved) making it's way to format as well. I have a few.
    Nothing is guaranteed with new release mastering, pretty much why I've stopped buying them on this format.

tin ears likes this.
  18. Mugrug12

In the case that it is the same master then how would it possible to be less compressed? Doesn't seem possible. I understand you are hearing this but I can't figure out a logical cause, if it's the same master. Can you?

19. dkmonroe

Nope, I'm no technical expert, I'm just saying that I've either experienced or heard reliably about the phenomenon more than once. I intuit that it has something to do with the inherent limitations in the LP format - there's just some compromises you have to make when pressing it to an LP that circumvent some of the nastier consequences of brickwalling. I can't tell you how it works though.

Burning Tires likes this.
  20. c-eling

It's just re-leveled for the format most likely
    Band of Horses latest, Bellman probably used the 24 bit brick, it looks identical on the lp cut except dropped in dB's- same shaved file.
    These guys are only as good as the source being given (imo)

nosliw likes this.
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Usually the engineer uses limiters and EQing the sound from the same CD master to make it "fit" into a record while cutting it to DMM or lacquer. Which is total crap if it's a totally brickwalled release (see releases from Back On Black Records/Let Them Eat Vinyl).

Sometimes this happens when the label either do not want to spend the money in creating a dedicated master or if the original post-mixes cannot be found. It's a good idea to practice due diligence before buying an LP release.

MrBungle82 and c-eling like this.
  22. Mugrug12

I'm not a technical expert either. But I do know what compression is. And I don't think it's possible to alleviate it in any way just cutting a laquer w the same comirsssed file as was used in the cd. You'd have to go back a couple
    Steps to get the uncompressed music.

I think somewhere along the line there was a logic leap between people saying "analogue vinyl cuts where uncompressed and dynamic but modern cds since the 80s are compressed and turned way up" [which is true], and "today an lp of the same album/master is your chance to hear the un-brickwalled version of the same cd". Which is mostly untrue. Like how truth gets messed up in a game of telephone. Then it becomes something you hear folks Say a lot....

23. dkmonroe

Well, dangit, I have bought a CD version of an album and then later bought the LP of an album (months later, not talking 30 years later), and found that the LP sounded much better. It's happened multiple times. I'm not lying, I'm not making up a buncha crap to shill for LP's. I don't claim that it makes the LP format "superior" and I don't claim that there's a super-special Secret Squirrel master prepared for LP's. I don't even claim that the vinyl version scores that well on the DR meter - we're talking 10 instead of 8. So anyway, if my ears can make "logic leaps", I'll have to live with it, because I don't think my ENT can treat it. I'll just have to be happy buying the LP version of something, as I usually am. YMMV, and if it does, you've probably got a CD version available.

24. c-eling

There's probably umpteen variables at play DK :laugh:
    I wouldn't sweat it too much. For me and the music I enjoy new release wise I'm just going to go with the much cheaper compact disc (unless it's a favorite where I think I need all formats:crazy:) :laugh:

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I read reviews and check the Dr loudness database before buying anything. In the Dr loudness database, it sometimes shows vinyl versions with greater dynamic range than the CD version. And sometimes not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.