Does your vehicle have a cassette tape player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Nice! I always wanted one of those McIntosh units.

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander which came equipped with a cassette player and no CD Player. Always wondered what they were thinking.

3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

No.

But I seriously considered getting one - for about 5 minutes - as an option when I bought my car back in 2004. I really wanted one but the cassette option listed for about $500. I didn't want to pay that much.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX sedan. Since I had bought a manual transmission I had to wait for Honda to make one. The dealer loaned me a previous generation Accord EX-L with an upgraded stereo with AM-FM-CD while I was waiting. That stereo sounded impressive, initially. One sonic aspect was the bass. The bass was not particularily loud but it really moved air. It had a real sock to it - I liked that. It also had an upper midrange glare to it that made it impossible to enjoy on a lot of program material.

I was afraid that my Accord might have that fault. I wondered if it would sound better with a cassette player. It turned out that CDs sounded good on my car's stereo. It did nothing spectacular and it did nothing wrong - very pleasurable to listen to. That was a relief.

I had a large collection of cassettes that I recorded from LPs. I was rather a perfectionist since I started making cassettes. (I did not buy pre-recorded cassettes.) They had sounded good in all of my previous cars.

I traded in a 1990 Nissan Maxima SE with AM-FM-Cassette. It had come with a Bose system. I wasn't expecting much, having heard Bose home speakers and not having a high opinion of their sound for the price. Turned out that all analog cassettes on that car system were the best in-car sound that I've heard. I still think about it from time to time.

(I do wish I had an AUX input for a FLAC player.)

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  4. Orthonormal

Orthonormal Turbo-nerd

The last car I owned with a cassette deck was a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

molinari likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

2005 Crown Vic and 2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT both came new with CD players and cassette decks.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I've had a Renault for ten years, that had no cassette tape player. This year I had to replace it with a Peugeot, that doesn't even have CD anymore, just USB. Before the Renault I had a Fiat with a tape deck! That was until 2004. I also had an adapter, cassette-shaped, to connect a portable CD-Player (the disc-man) to the car-radio!

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    Yes and a 6 disc Nakamichi CD changer. Saturn Vue.

8. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

...oops, I take that back. I got a 96 Crown Vic with a stock cassette player that I probably haven't tried for 20 years. I'm sure at least since they started making those cd adapter thingys.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

Yes, I drive a '98.
    But I mainly listen to NPR or an AM radio show for traffic updates since I have a fairly long commute.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

How many miles on the CV?

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Gary C's photo is McLover approved. See avatar.

Gary C likes this.
  12. Oasisish

Oasisish New Member

Wish it did

erniebert likes this.
  13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

None of mine do. Can't really remember the last one that did.

14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I have an '88 with a factory cassette that works great. The 2010 and 2014 models I have do not. I've barely used the CD players in those..usually running my iPhone through the Blue Tooth.

15. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

99 Range Rover. Cassette deck in front panel and 6 CD changer stuck in the back! All you can do us have 6 CDs on rotation unless you get in the back and change them now and then.
    Even my 91 Chevy S10 is all CD.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not in my vehicle. But I pulled my Sony Mobile ES series cassette deck when I sold my other car years back. I still have it. Killer head unit, one of the few car decks I've ever had that has Dolby C that works well. All copper chassis. No amps in in, just a pre-amp unit.

My 2012 Equinox has a Pioneer system CD player that sounds pretty good.

Dino likes this.
  17. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

When I got my truck, it had a cd/tape combo. I used the tape deck with an adapter as a way to play music off my phone. When the adapter broke four years ago and I couldn't find one with decent specs, I ripped out the factory head unit and installed one that has cd/USB. The cd never gets used. I play either off my phone or thumb drive via USB.

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm a bit shocked to see a near 50/50 split for the poll. Wow.

19. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

2004 Toyota Corolla-Yes

20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

It did . . . (past tense). Until 2014, I drove a 1994 Honda Civic LX with a cassette player. And in twenty years, I hardly ever played a cassette tape. (Back in the day, even earlier, I was into 8-track at the time, before cassette came out). The car died in 2014 (engine overheated), so I replaced it with a 2014 Honda -- y0u guess it -- Civic. Nice car, but wish that category of car was quieter (less road noise). New car has CD player -- I use it.

21. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

My 2000 Rover has a cassette deck, pretty awful quality. There's a 6 CD cassette thing in the boot.

My 1975 Rover has a MW/LW radio which is stuck on Radio 4. It sounds great but there are no choices.

22. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Haven't had a cassette in any of my cars for the last 12 years (or more).

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I have a 1998 Civic. No CD, but has a cassette player. I've made tape copies of some of my records and they sound great in the car!

I replaced the Honda 6x9's with my nice Kenwood 3-ways. :thumbsup:

24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

1 came with factory cassette/CD head unit and 10 disc changer; but, sounds far too trebly. The tweeters reflecting off the windshield was an extremely bad choice.
    1 has only a factory cassette (and the heads are actually aligned correctly!!!!) Sound balance still suffers from "leg blur" and an overly comfy interior; too warm sounding.
    1 has a non-functioning am/fm cassette... and I like it that way. The rumble of it's engine and the exhaust make for better road music, anyway.

Except for long trips, I've mostly given up on car audio. I've heard many great sounding systems... with the car standing still and the engine off; but, even the best I've heard, while actually driving the car, just made me want to run screaming for my home system(s), especially at night, when not a creature is stirring and the power grid is quiet.

Still the only system that made a lasting impression on me in the last 25 years, with the car off of course, was not pricey at all. It was a Panasonic cassette head in a 90s Mazda sedan! No joke. I don't know what they did or what speakers they used or how they placed them or any of that. I do remember not wanting to get out of the car until the tape was over. :laugh:

25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

2014 Chevy Volt - No cassette deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.