Dolenz-Nesmith Tour In 2018!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I wish him well and hope he is safely out of the woods. Whatever it was, it sounds like it was more serious than they originally let on. Hope he is fully recovered.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

3. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

4. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

WOW. I'm speechless.

One thing, though - I hope he's not pushing things by heading out with the FNB so soon after.

Get well, Michael Blessing!

5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Agreed!!!

6. MarkTheShark

Wow. I wish him well, and sure hope he takes care of himself

7. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

I sure hope he takes it easy and gives himself some time to recover before going back on tour.

8. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Glad to hear he has a good attitude, though:)

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

God Bless Nez, praying for a speedy recovery.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Scary news. Glad to see Count Basie show will occur on March 5, and that it is within the 50% of their time my girls love with me, which will enable them to still attend.

11. MarkTheShark

The article mentions congestive heart failure. That is pretty scary. (Both my grandmothers died from this and my first thoughts on reading that were, this is not good.) But medicine is evolving and doctors can do things today they couldn't do even a year or two ago. But ultimately it comes down to watching one's health and heeding warning signs. I know I'm not a stellar example of staying on top of that, but this is potentially a serious wake-up call.

12. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I would venture a guess that Nez's Christian Science beliefs caused him to pump the brakes on seeking professional assistance, similar to how he slow played addressing his cataract issue several years ago. "Michael Blessing" has turned out to be an apt pseudonym, indeed!

I, too, worry that he will be overextending himself too soon in his desire to fulfill the FNB Redux dates in September. I would far prefer he push them out and regain his health to the fullest capacity. That said it's become increasingly clear over the last five to six years that Nez gets a big charge out of connecting with his audiences in a live setting. His demeanor at the M&M show in June was positively giddy. I think he has found more and more sustenance for his soul, for lack of a better term, in communing with his fans again. And long may it last. But it presents a conundrum: 1. Be more risk averse and limit appearances - but lose the enjoyment and nourishment of those experiences. 2. Go out, perform and connect with his fans and be fulfilled, mentally and spiritually, but to the possible detriment of his physical health.

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The Videoranch Facebook page posted photos of him getting his 12-string checked out at a guitar shop yesterday. Holy crap - the guy looks 10 years younger than he did a month ago! Of course, it also rather starkly illustrates just how sick he was on the road.

15. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

That Rolling Stone article where Nez discloses he was going off-stage between sets for oxygen is telling and scary. I can't imagine moving forward as a band when one of the main stars seems to be on death's door.

I'm very pleased he received the treatment he needed. He DEFINITELY seems to be in better shape now!

marmalade, Hep Alien and MarkTheShark like this.
  16. MarkTheShark

That had to have scared the hell out of Christian, Circe, Micky, Coco and the rest of the crew too. I am glad Nez got it checked out and had the surgery. His health is the most important thing.

But that does speak volumes about his dedication to what he's doing. And just a couple years ago, he thought he was retired. (Maybe if he'd stayed retired, he wouldn't have realized how bad it was and gotten treatment. I'm glad he "un-retired.")

17. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Has anyone heard whether or not they are still planning a live CD or audio release of this tour? I know that past monkees live releases have had trouble coming to fruition... I hope that this one makes it! This might be the most sonically interesting and historically important live release since 1969's North American tour.

While I am at it, I wish we could get releases of:

1968 - The Monkees in Japan
    1969 - North American Tour
    1996 - Billboard concert & UK Tour
    2011 - 45th anniversary tour
    2018 - Monkees Present: The Mike & Micky Show

1969 is a pipe-dream, but I still want it... and of all the shows, I would LOVE to have 2018's on vinyl or download.

18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

OK, I’ll bite. What do you mean by “This might be the most sonically interesting and historically important live release since 1969's North American tour”?

You mean, if such a recording were to turn up? I got real excited for a minute there.

19. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, if that recording ever turns up.

I am a firm believer that it actually exists, the radio program which mentions that the show would be recorded, and the statements of Mike, Micky and David from around that time seem to hint that something was recorded for later, either for private use or for a possible record. Of course, later recollections by the members seem to suggest otherwise, but by now, all remaining Monkees have shown their recollections are no longer absolutely accurate. Micky doesn't remember recording Clarksville for "Pete's" sake! Who knows what the Jones' estate is sitting on, as we know that he has live recordings that haven't been released, and I have a feeling Nez probably has stacks of stuff that he just hasn't gone through in decades. Andrew is probably our best bet to find the stuff, but it will take cooperative estates, cooperative Monkees, and well organized label archives... all 3 of which are extremely rare.

20. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I think the stars are aligning...Andrew has great relationships will all parties and he's a fan himself, so there's a good chance that stuff will see the light of day. I'm still pushing for a Super Deluxe Live Set (1966-2019) :) So many great shows that need to be officially released.

D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  21. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Not to douse any wellsprings of hope, but I highly doubt that Nez is sitting on any unreleased Sixties recordings of Monkees concerts. Davy's estate, perhaps. I just don't think Michael really CARED by that point. He was already looking to the exit.

Hep Alien and DanofDune like this.
  22. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

I get this interpretation of the Monkees in 1969, and certainly there were a lot of moving parts by that point in their original run. However, I don't think that Nez was as ready to move on as we like to think today. Sure, he was frustrated with the Monkees, and sure, I think that he was ready to move on when HEAD wrapped up, but he still stuck around, and he entertained the idea that the Monkees could continue as something.

If he was as ready to jump as we all like to think, why didn't he bail when Peter did? Further, as the Monkees Present Box set showed us, he had produced an album's worth of material as a follow up to Monkees Present (specifically for the other Monkees to perform). That indicates to me that he had a vision for the monkees as a unit, however fleeting. Plus, while the Monkees were in no way loved in 69, the 69 tour was getting favorable critical reviews from the sources I have seen.

The trouble is, a lot of the "we were as cold as yesterday's soup" comments made by Nez were from decades after the Monkees, Especially after it became obvious he would not be taken seriously as a musician due to the Monkee legacy. The only thing from within the original run of the Monkees that I read from him as negative (or at least extremely honest) was his remark that The Monkees said all they could say as a band in Head.

I for one, would love to hear exactly what went down when Nez quit, and when that decision was actually made. Infinite Tuesday doesn't get into it, but I would be willing to bet the disastrous Tonight Show appearance cemented that decision for him.

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

What happened on the tonight show?

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Tonight Show didn't go well, but it was part of a run of TV appearances that was fairly successful overall. If anything pushed Nez out I would guess it was the failure of "Good Clean Fun and "Listen to the Band" as singles.

DanofDune and Hep Alien like this.
  25. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Andrew documents it well in the Monkees Present liner notes, but in short, Micky kept interrupting Mike/talking over him, and was clearly way too excited to be on the tonight show. Micky even discussed this in an article relatively recently that he let the stars get in his eyes so to speak, and monopolized the conversation with a lot of weird talk about plants and ESP, and holograms. All of this, the audience couldn't see because the hologram/ESP book was too small, which Micky then desperately tried to salvage by pleading with the audience to take it seriously because it was never on TV before. This resulted with the audience basically laughing at Micky (not with him) and Carson cutting to a commercial to regain control.

By all accounts it didn't go well.

The TV runs were pretty successful but would have benefited from more single promotion. Maybe it was just the time period, but I always felt that by leading with stuff like I'm a Believer and Last Train it made them seem even more like yesterday's fad. Coming out of the gate on a show and playing Tear Drop City, Someday Man, and Listen to the Band would have made for better promotion and more relevancy. Maybe.

I swear someone could write a fascinating book on the Monkees in 1969, just dissecting the weirdness of that year within the band. You literally have statements from the band members about songs appearing on albums which never would (Nine Times Blue), Mike floating the idea of becoming a cover band (???), and Davy saying one day he would essentially run colgems! Bizarre!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.