"Dollar store" DVDs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

I've noticed several dollar stores here ("Deals" and "Dollar Tree") are selling DVD's for a dollar. They come in long cardboard envelopes.

There are a bunch of old movies and TV shows. I picked up 2 volumes of "Burns & Allen", "Jack Benny" (3 episodes of each). The quality isn't great but it's not bad. The Jack Benny Vol. 2 disc has his 1965 hour special. It's in BW even though it was originally color. It does have the Beach Boys segment most of us have seen. I would complain about the lack of color if I had paid more.

I also got 2 "Colgate Comedy Hour" discs. One is "Abbott & Costello" (Not sure if it's the same as the one mentioned in the "Wal-Mart" thread but it has "Who's On First") I didn't get carded :). The other was "Martin & Lewis".

It's a great way to get some of those old TV shows and at a buck, it's not big deal if the quality is lacking (As long as it's watchable).

Anyone else pick these up?

Tim

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I picked up one, forget the title. It was advertsied in the liners as being a blaxploitation "classic".

I watched about 20 min of it and hit eject. Looked it up in the Maltin book to see how they rate it. And it was not in that book.

I tossed it in the trash.

But I would expect the other titles to be worth a buck, and my pos purchase was just that I had decided to take a chance on an odd ball title. I expect DVDs to keep dropping in price until we are getting true B pictures for 1.99.

So these dollar dvds are a good sign of things to come.

Jeff

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My local Dollar Tree is selling these DVDs as well, but for PD material, although they are hit and miss, I stick with the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

for $3 - I got one of those cheap-os of Dementia 13. Its OK, a little dark and the audio was better than I expected (meaning it wasn't muffled or "poppy")

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I always stop into the Dollar Stores during my annual vacation to the Outer Banks. I'm hoping there will be a good selection of $1 DVDs when I visit.

Plus there's a WalMart right next door.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They had that one for a buck. Great film by the way!!!

Jeff

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Cant argue with a buck!!

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

"I'd buy that for a buck!"

9. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I got Sam Peckinpah's first film, "The Deadly Companions" for a couple of bucks at the supermarket. It says it's 5.1 multichannel, I only have stereo to listen to it on. I don't care for the loud music track, but the movie is pretty good! Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara star.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I picked up a copy of John Wayne's "McLintock!" for cheap, but it really wasnt' worth it, because I can't stand to watch it. It looks far crappier than any VHS copy.

11. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

That's what I like about the dollar DVD's. Even if 1 or 2 wind up in the trash, you don't lose much because the others you picked up probably make up for the losses.

Tim

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I picked up a public domain collection of 1930's Betty Boop cartoons in my local supermarket for $1. It was actually pretty good, the picture quality looking as clean as when they were shown on AMC in the mid 90's.

Evan

13. JohnG

I usually pick up cheap VHS tapes for the beach house while on vacation and then leave them there for future renters.

With $1 Dollar DVD's, I can buy a few and leave behind the one's that don't fill my fancy.

14. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Here's what I bought at our local Dollar Tree store last night, (thanks to this thread!!!):

TV:
    Make Room for Daddy (a.k.a. Danny Thomas Show): 3 eps., complete with commercials (best part!) for Dodge and American Tobacco Co., (yep, cigarette ads!). OK quality. Two shows have an ABC tag at the end.

Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Vol 2: 3 eps, all with commercials for Peter Paul candy and Kodak. Excellent quality, but no sound!!! :realmad: Didn't play all the way through to see if Ricky's songs are included (which are cut from the Platimum Disc Corp. DVDs)

Over the Hill Gang: TV movie from 1969, produced by Danny Thomas and Aaron Spelling. Weak color, OK to watch though, has a lot of old western character actors (Edgar Buchannan, Jack Elam, Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine, etc.)

Movies:

"Pot O' Gold" staring James Stewart: OK quality, good big band music on the soundtrack, looks better when I turn the color down on my TV set, due to a slightly green color on the transfer. :confused:

"Suddenly" with Frank Sinatra: OK quality, not bad if you don't own it on a VHS tape or laserdisc. Frank plays one mean psycho S.O.B. in this film, a must for Sinatra fans.

total price: $5, all are keepers except for the Ozzie and Harriet disc.

15. BradOlson

My copy of "Pot O' Gold" is on a UAV DVD with "The Stranger" and "Royal Wedding." I have the UAV DVDs of the 2 Over The Hill Gang movies and the color is weak on the first movie, but I agree it is fun to watch. I will have to pick up the $1 Suddenly DVD and then go to my local FYE and buy the used copy of "The Man With The Golden Arm" sometime.

16. stypee

stypee New Member

Dollar disc's can be fun to find but ya' always gotta' be careful of the one's you find in the Dollar store (and I'm not talking "Walmart") I ordered my Dad a bunch of super-cheese ball sci-fi flicks for Christmas and one of them Flash Gordon (the serials not the 1980 film) was warped, still played but It was truly an awful mess. You can get some good deals though. We don't have a "Walmart" where I live (Queens, New York) which is weird cause' you'd figure it'd be the perfect place to stick one. I've heard some great bargains can be found there though.

17. JohnG

I picked up the Jack Benny Volume 2 DVD with the 1965 special that includes The Beach Boys actually acting in a skit. You can't beat Jack Benny, Bob Hope and The Beach Boys in a skit.

Plus The Beach Boys sing 2 songs in this episode.

It also includes a bit with Walt Disney himself. Jack wants to take over a 100 people to Disneyland for free. Will Walt cough up that many passes?

It's too bad that the Dollar Store in Kitty Hawk NC only had one copy of this classic DVD. I would have picked up a few more.

18. BradOlson

I have picked up a lot of DVDs at the Dollar store (although I previously said I wouldn't, I now can't get enough $1 DVDs) and in fact, Wal-Mart is now selling $1 DVDs in slimline DVD cases from Digiview Productions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.