Don Felder and the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

If my post was unnecessary so was yours correcting someone else that they left off an additional n in Glenn. We all know who they're talking about. There's not another Glen with one n to cause confusion. Maybe one as too subtle. I honestly don't care about your grammar.

I grew up and still live in the suburbs and have no discernable accent as far as American accents go. Not a redneck, a hillbilly, a cowboy or really southern in any way. I'm actually originally from Ohio.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    czeskleba likes this.
  2. Even as a copywriter, I would never correct someone's grammatical skills. I just think that the least you can do is get someone's name right. I mean, it's right there before your eyes. That's why I wrote what I wrote. Well...whatever. Peace!

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You know the thread is on fumes when the discussion turns to grammar.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I can't not understand.:help: :confused::laugh:

5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Sorry I didn't spell Glenn's name correctly, pardon my haste in typing and please accept my deepest apologies.

Perhaps Glenn Frey needed two n's for super narcicist.

Glen was a great songwriter and singer, a guitarist of modest abilities and man of high asperations to succeed.

Plenty of examples of Glenn overstating his case (like the impact of his solo career) and diminished the contrbutions of some others (Felder, Leadon, Meisner, Glyn Johns). It's well know that Glenn was very difficult to deal with.

We now return to our regularly scheduled musical discussion.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Nope. Bernie played that guitar, though Don did that part in concert after Bernie left. Then again, did Frey do that solo?

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Bernie and Glenn played the intro and riff throughout the remainder of the song. Felder overdubbed a solo in the middle.

markbrow likes this.
  8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

THANK you for putting some facts into the discussion!

9. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Bernie played the opening lick, Glenn basically did all the rest of the rest other than Felder's add-ons and outro solo

10. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

You should keep that a secret ;)

11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Felder's solo on Already Gone always made me take notice when the song came on the radio. For a while I would wonder who it was, and be surprised that it turned out to be the Eagles. This happened with a few songs afterward. I'd hear some rocking guitar I liked, and it would turn out to be part of an Eagles song. After a while, I came to expect it.

Terry likes this.
  12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

this is an interesting section of a post on the current Mal Evans Sgt Pepper thread which i think may have some relevance here, I've no idea if the legal definition comment is correct but if it is it could add light ( Diminish/Diminishes? - Glenn/Shmen? - apologies in advance to any Don a Henley humour bypass nit pickers in advance ) on what was Felder's 90 percent/10 percent official contribution to Hotel California further ( although once again i will state that nobody is denying Felders contribution was still pivitol ), discuss :-

]

13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm strictly an amateur music analyst, but it seems to me that Felder's 'motif' for HC is pretty much the foundation for the entire music of the song, including the melody.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Rhythm is more part of the arrangement than part of the composition unless it is the rhythm of the melody

And there is a difference between the legal definition of the copyrightable composition used when analyzing whether one song infringes another, and the agreements between co-writes as to what constitutes a contribution that warrants credit and what percent credit it warrants.

Someone not credited can of course sue claiming they were unfairly denied credit. But in most cases such casual collaborators refrain from biting the hand that feeds them, except perhaps years after the fact (see Great Gig and Whiter Shade controversies).

Zeki likes this.
  15. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Or Ian Anderson since they lifted the melody from Jethro Tull's "We Used To Know."

Carserguev likes this.
  16. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Rocky Pamplin is immediately springing to my mind. :D

sbsugar and drbeachboy like this.
  17. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Am I the only one who likes Long Road Out of Eden? I really enjoy it. Doesn't rock very much but there are a lot of juicy melodies to be found. Of course if I want to rock I'm not throwing on the Eagles anyway.

Szeppelin75 and Dublintown like this.
  18. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah the grammar /spelling police came to save the day after 700 posts and 29 pages. I predict this thread will vaporize in a " New York Minute" oooohhh...:wiggle:

audiotom likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I enjoy about 2/3 of it quite well and prefer it overall to The Long Run

Terry likes this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's not terrible. I really like 'Waiting in the Weeds' - which is basically 'The Boys of Summer Part II', lyrically.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You're a member at the Smiley board, eh?

22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, this gives a good idea who played what. Those outro harmonies were pretty amazing.

Dublintown and Hall Cat like this.
  23. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

As for the topic at hand: This thread inspired me to watch the documentary and I came away not a bit sympathetic to Felder's position. While I certainly don't discount his contributions (and they are not insignificant, he was easily the best musician of the bunch) he should have been thanking his lucky stars for that second ride on the gravy train. I don't feel a bit sorry for him, though he does seem like a nice guy. Frey comes across as somewhat unlikable but my admiration for Henley only grew. I'm in awe of that dude. He's got gravitas for miles and is the clear star of that band. It's to Frey's credit that he recognized that and took a back seat to Henley vocally.

24. bluejsr

bluejsr Forum Resident

25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

and then there is the Gaye vs Thicke Williams ruling most recently which had little to do with anything i think other than maybe the rhythm. On the basis of that ruling the estate of Jackson could have a chance to sue Tears for Fears on sowing the seeds on love having the feel of i am the walrus not to mention Neil Innes for the Rutles...( can i get 10 percent for " sowing " this idea if successful ? )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.