Don Jones - Bigfoot (or, what's your most obscure record?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maskdbagel, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd be ever so grateful if anyone here had any information at all on this record.
    I had an experience a couple of years ago that happens from time to time:
    "Hey, I have these two boxes of records from my grandma, and they're taking up space. You want 'em?"
    Of course I do. So there's some decent Ray Charles (good to listen to), some Elvis (who always sounds like he's doing a bad Elvis impersonation - not a fan, I won't lie), a little bit of Hank, Sr. (Luke the Drifter? Sweet!), Floyd Cramer (snooze), Bob Crosby (wait, that's not Bing?), and others you'd expect in the same box. Some boring and happier at someone else's house, some good for historical reasons but just not really what we listen to, so also happier at someone else's house. And by the time we'd pared it all down, we had about 80-100 that we kept and play from time to time.
    Maybe our favorite one, just because of the oddness of it, is "Bigfoot (Northwest's Abominable Snowman)" ft. Don Jones. The first side is five completely earnest (as far as I can tell) songs about Bigfoot, with "authentic Bigfoot screams captured by Ray Wallace" (when Ray was alive and believed by at least a handful of people), and the second side is a kind of derivative Johnny-Cash-without-much-soul sort of thing. A few originals and a lumbering, anti-seductive "Unchained Melody."
    The thing is, in all my searching, I can find a couple of people selling this record for a hundred bucks or so, but nothing else at all about the record, Don Jones, or Panorama Records. It's a curiosity, it's really not very good, it's hard to take seriously, but daggone it, it's sticking around.

So, two questions for all of you. One: do you know anything about this record? And two: aside from known tiny batch vanity pressings (which this one may be, but doesn't appear to be), what's the most obscure/undocumented record you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.