Don Kirshner Rock Concert Coming to DVD!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Backsasser, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Not totally off topic- any chance ABC's "In Concert" series from the Seventies will see the light of day?

2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

SOFA have milked to death 'Ed Sullivan'.
    They did release the full Beatles editions on DVD, and Elvis, but not after putting an odd track here, an odd track there for years and years.
    I too would love to see full sets but no doubt we'll get one track by The Ramones, one track by Abba. Then another compilation will give us a different track.
    Ten years later when we've bought umpteen editions some full shows may surface.
    God I'm so cynical.

3. CurtGooch

CurtGooch New Member

According the website, they are the full episodes!

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

That's what I want to see...

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I'm really interested in this set, but there are so many questions going in.

For example, what's the video going to look like? Are they going to properly remaster it or just dump some VHS equivalent onto a silver platter?

What's the audio going to sound like?

Problem is, there is a fairly limited audience for this type of thing . . . outside SH forum and fans of classic rock. But we can still hope.

6. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Yes, that was included as well. Not sure which song. I want to say it was It's Only Rock and Roll, but that's a different year. Seems like it was a promo film, though, because I've seen it elsewhere too.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Yes, great news. I want to see the Alice Cooper performance.

8. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Wasn't it DKRC that had the Eagles, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh and Linda Ronstadt on together around the time Desperado and Smoker You Drink came out?

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Now that news has wetted my appetite.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sounds expensive.

11. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes

12. Backsasser

SOFA Entertainment is teaming up with Historic Films and they own all the original masters so i would imagine the quality will be pristine!

13. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

I am so in on this.

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Charlie,according to reports,had to rescued from that foam..he'd nearly drowned in all that foam!

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yes it does. :)

I would pay a handsome sum for a pristine Raspberries Starting Over Show though. :D

I have the clips for the Side 3 episode but no Donnie Kirschner intro/voice over. I also have the 74 show with Donnie intro voice over. You can look at that both ways.

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Kiss is the one I remember.

17. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is there a site that list every epsiode of DKRC and the bands that were on each show?-- If SOFA is listening--the complete episodes of Raspberries (both the 73 and 74 shows on one disc), The Eagles with Jackson Browne, The Rolling Stones would be a killer starter.

Mike

18. Very exciting news this...Full Episodes? I'm in. :righton:

19. Backsasser

I hope it's full episodes it looks like it may just be a compilation

20. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

"Thanks to SOFA Entertainment & Historical Films many of “Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert” shows are still preserved in their original format. Please sign up if you would like to be contacted when we begin accepting orders for Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert DVD Compilation."

Thats the last quote. Doesn't sound like full episodes to me. Too bad, this was a great show. It was like watching a mini-concert of your favorite bands.

21. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

Remember HISTORIC FILMS had the statement about the DKRC series...

"ROCK CONCERT is the ULTIMATE 1970s live music show. HISTORIC FILMS is currently digitally retransfering the original 2" masters as well as the unreleased rehersal tapes and outtakes."

22. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I checked the "Bands" tab on the web site, which was supposed to be "An alphabetical list of every band that appeared on Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert," and saw one notable omission: the New York Dolls. I think that Dolls footage has already been released, but it seemed odd that they wouldn't be listed at all.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Full shows would be better especially because they represent a moment in history more than individual clips would.

Did all the bands play live? I seem to recall some might have mimed.

24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I would take this to mean they are digitally transferring them in full, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll release them that way. We shall see...

25. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Sounds like this set will be like the Midnight Special set,
    edited on a "Slap Chop":

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.