Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul Thread Starter

I pre-ordered this earlier in the week. Hadn't heard of them before, but after listening to a bunch of Youtube vids, I went for it.

From here:

Bryce, RiRiIII, box of frogs and 2 others like this.
  2. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

I HAVE heard of them--they are incredible. I have 3 of the original lps and paid a decent price for them, but the first two usually go for over $1000 each (I kid you not) so having these is amazing. British Jazz has often been considered a poor copy of the American original, but Don Rendell, Ian Carr, Michael Garrick (part of the quintet), Joe Harriott, and a few others in the 1960's were really pursuing something original. I pre-ordered this too and am ecstatic to have these. And if anyone wants to help me pay for my kids college, I might part with my original copies of Phase III, Live, and Change Is.

3. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

US/North America dwellers - where did you pre-order this? Looking to do the same but curious on best price.

4. Defrance

I ordered on the Bandcamp page, but it is sold out there. The cheapest price I've seen is at Juno; it's listed as forthcoming there.

5. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Thanks. I ordered from Forced Exposure. Here's hoping.

Defrance likes this.
  6. Defrance

They should be shipping any day now. The release date was pushed back a week from the 16th to the 23rd, but that's now passed and I haven't received any notifications.

7. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Just received mine today and am currently listening to Dusk Fire.Beautiful flat 180 gram from the master tapes.Lovely period replica Columbia labels and flip-back U.K sleeves.Nice booklet too.For £89.99 With free p&p direct from Jazzman this is my best re-issue for many a long day.To get these 5 classics as originals(if you could ever find them) as nm copies would be close to £4000.My Xmas is made already!

Carter DeVries and ashiya like this.
  8. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Don't know if you have the 2fer CDs on BGO which seemed to be from a good source but quite loud and compressed (though no orginals to compare them do unsurprisingly), but if you do, how does the sound/mastering compare?

9. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Don't have the BGO CD's.These are the only versions I have.They sound beautiful.Deep and rich,great dynamics,black silences.Also,which is a real pleasure with new pressings nowadays,no footprints in the vinyl.Bright and shiny!

Bryce and ashiya like this.
  10. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Hmm can't really afford the box, but damn I may just have to put an order in!

11. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Let us know if you find a good deal. I'm looking at Juno Records as most likely contender

12. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Same here actually, waiting for them to get stock in.

13. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Great news - please post more about the sonics. I’m definitely getting this (probably from Jazzman direct if it is free p&p), and 100% agree it is a really amazing period for Brit Jazz. Gilles Peterson released a couple of great compilations a few years back (Impressed Vols 1&2) that work as a great primer for anyone who is intrigued to hear more.

Edit - Jazman is showing as sold out and the likes of Juno, Amazon and HMV all have different dates for when it will become available. Pretty confusing!

14. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

15. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

This project seems to be a labour of love for those involved. I am hoping, in that case, that it is all analogue. However, all of the wording I've seen suggests a digital stage...

"We located and acquired the original analogue master tapes from the Universal vaults and created masters at Abbey Road Studios to produce audiophile quality 180g pressings"

Why are they creating masters from existing masters unless it is a digital conversion? Surely they'd know better than to do that.

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A greek store does not accept any more pre-orders of it.

17. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Honestly,you won't regret it.

ashiya likes this.
  18. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Wow! Surprised that Jazzman sold out so quick.I had an 'alert' for the day they got them and ordered on that day.Only 1000 worldwide but for a release that I would consider quite niche I would have thought this would be plenty for a little while,but perhaps not.Hopefully others will be able to get it from other sources.Juno is very good.There's Amazon of course.

19. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Don't worry about it.They sound fantastic!

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Seems out of stock/not to pre-order everywhere. Sad...

BTW, my all time favorite Lansdowne Recording is Neil Ardley's "Greek Variations".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Bryce likes this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I suspect it means they cut it at Abbey Road using the original master tapes and Abbey Road is one of the leading places to get an all analogue cut done with no digital delay, not that it really matters either way.

I'm crossing my fingers that HMV come through with my copy, they were quick enough to take the money although the release date keeps getting put back and no sign of it being sent this week even though Jazzman customers already have theirs.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

About 25 years ago I rather cavalierly let a friend have a copy of of the Ardley thinking I'd soon pick another copy up for under £100 as they were back then as I saw them often enough, naturally I've not come across one since and don't want to think about current prices.

caravan70, Bryce and RiRiIII like this.
  23. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

24. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

25. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Yes, I’m pretty certain that it will pop up somewhere - I actually asked for the alert from Jazzman but it never came! So let’s see what happens over the next week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.