Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I agree, but we'll find out.

' The Nightfly' is one of my 'very most' favorite albums of all time.

I have 4 ' The Nightfly' LPs... one original USA pressed was still sealed.

I opened it & played it a few months ago. Just WOW!

* How can you beat that?? *

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Christopher B, audiotom and Dmann201 like this.
  2. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Well, the 45 RPM version of Brothers in Arms sounds better than the original vinyl, to me. But there's also examples from the 1980s. I have an original copy of Welcome to the Pleasuredome (recorded digitally with mostly electronic instruments) which sounds great, and a 45 RPM 12" of Relax, that sounds phenomenal. The difference is there folks. Yes, the 12" is a remix, slightly longer version than on the LP, but the presence, soundstage and bass is all kicked up a notch.

bootbox likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't know nothin' about RUSH but apology accepted. Marsh worked his but off with the original X-80 tape, I would have given up and gone home if it hadn't been for his work on the Clapton.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Is it not true that the specifications for the X-80 are something like the following:
    • 16 bit linear
    • 50.4kHz sampling frequency
    • greater than 90 dB dynamic range
    • frequency response 20 Hz to 20 kHz +.5 dB, -1 dB
    • distortion less than .05%

Robert C, trumpetplayer and Diskhound like this.
  5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I'm in... given how much I love this title I can't resist. I have the recent reissue, which sounds fantastic, and the RL ... I don't think they can do *much* better than what has already been done . Skepticism aside, MFSL has been doing a pretty great job and I expect this release to be great.

6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

How's the multichannel mix of this title on the DVD-A? (and can someone specify which version of the DVD-A is most desirable? I seem to recall that there are at least a couple different versions of this title listed on the 'scogs.)

7. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

It is, quite simply, perfection. Both DVD-A discs are the same if I'm not mistaken. If you can get it, I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Ed

4_everyman and giantleech like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

:doh:

Where does it say that musical qualities such as dynamics can not be measured?

9. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Maxine has always been very sibilant on the original RL vinyl so I'm looking forward to a cleaner presentation on this one step 45 rpm version.

AnalogJ likes this.
  10. gss

gss Forum Resident

Is the DVD-A version in the Fagen boxset? It plays on a DVD player, but the box seems to lean toward calling it MVI.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

But Steve and Mr. Marsh worked from a tape and trumpetplayer originally said "file". Perhaps that was the rub.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats the only later day Clapton album I like. You guys did one helluva job making that music breath and live on Journeyman.

And best of all I won it from here! :D

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. Metralla

Sure - agree totally. The Mitsubishi X-80 was an incredible machine and the word "file" certainly gives the wrong impression. I love recordings from another early digital recorder, the 3M Digital Audio Mastering System: also 16 bit and 50kHz. Which brings us back to "The Nightfly".

14. Metralla

15. Metralla

16. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

You both are right. I should have said the original tape was 16/50 instead of file. I can understand how that could irritate Steve.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  17. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I actually think that the original UK, vinyl pressing of Brothers In Arms, sounds better at 45 rpm. That is largely down to hearing it about 15 times a day, for demo purposes in a Hi-fi shop.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that a large number of vinyl lovers have 12" singles that clearly outperform the same track from the LP, particularly a long LP.

The Nightfly is not a long album, but if it is cut well, there should still be room for improvement at 45. Whatever its digital origin, my original LP always sounded very impressive, and the songs are more than good enough to win over a new generation of fans.

Tom Keymeulen and AnalogJ like this.
  18. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Ordered here...worth a shot to me.
    I've always really liked the album (use the RL LP now, had the original MoFi).

Would dig Kamakiriad at some point on one-step (or lowly regular 45rpm). I have the LP, but a fairly lengthy album that could likely take good advantage of 45.

Joti Cover, audiotom and gss like this.
  19. gss

gss Forum Resident

Agreed! A MOFI "Kamakiriad" is a no brainer.

audiotom likes this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Similar case with Stevie Wonder and the Carpenters' master tapes. Stevie Wonder does not want to use the original tapes as a source for reissues. In the Carpenters' case, I heard that their original two-track tapes were destroyed by fire at Universal Studio.

21. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Good question. Went to pre-order today and it was sold out. Maxed out. Got it at SoundStage for the same price and no shipping. No idea when it comes out, but I've secured my copy. Can't wait to drop that needle.

22. Tor33rpm

That is a great behind the scenes look! Very thorough comparison. To align the Studer, just to make sure, was the right thing to do.

23. Tor33rpm

Digital. I always thought that Brothers in Arms was the first pure digital recording.

24. Randoms

It is shown as DDD, was Digital multitrack, but mixed on an analogue desk, and re-digitised. I do believe that it was the first album where the CD outsold the LP.

As the original LP was shorter than the CD (for sound quality reasons - not marketing!), 4 sides at 45rpm, does make sense.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  25. Randoms

Meant to say 4 sides at 45rpm is still tight, but restoring the full length running time over 4 sides, makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.