Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think the issue for me is that this is not a great candidate for $100 (usually £110 here) one step. A standard 45 rpm would be worth £50-£60 based on the quality of Brothers In Arms. Just hope MFSL release this and Santana as a normal 45 rpm at some point.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Hi Steve

Perhaps DBX like Katy Lied

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

give me a $70 33 1/3 One Step any day
    so I only have to make twenty steps to play both sides of the album

4. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Music Direct charged my card already

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, I agree. Having bought the One Step Santana I've never been convinced the One Step process results in better sound than their "standard" 45 rpm releases which all tend to sound great IMO. Couple this with the large box with just a few lithographs and what not in it and I can't think of a single album that wouldn't be more than sufficient as a standard 45 rpm release at 1/2 the price.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Perhaps your card says pending. MD doesn't usually charge until unit is shipping.

7. gss

gss Forum Resident

Just listened to my mint "RL" vinyl and box set DVD-A last night.

To me, they are two very different beasts. The vinyl has an upfront punchiness and separation that is very intriguing. The DVD has a vast soundstage.

If those two recordings are so different, perhaps the MOFI one step will offer something new.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Juno gives a September release date for this...

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I ordered via Elusive Disc June 8th
    With the new K Crimson live box set

It no longer shows up in my account
    They better not cut me short on this one

10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I was concerned so emailed Elusive Disc.
    I received a hearfelt email from their president.

Elusive Disc informed me my DF NF order is still holding even though it doesn't show up on my site personnel account.
    Their website has removed listings of the DF One Step including the customer order form but has only taken as many orders as they have been promised by MoFi.

Mofi honored all Elusive Discs Bill Evans orders.

Bill Evans - Other sites are still taking orders on a sold out item.

11. Jean Paul Tabja

Jean Paul Tabja Forum Resident

A couple of weeks ago I bought The Cars - Heartbeat City Mofi edition. I have different editions of Heartbeat City which is a very well recorded album and sounds great overall, and the best edition that I have is the Quiex Version released as promo edition back in 1984. The MoFi does not sound better than the Quiex version. I prefer the original recording and sound of the Quiex Vinyl LP. I have also the Quiex version of Donald Fagen - The Nightfly which is the best sounding version that I have and sounds much better than than the DVD-A (played on Oppo multiplayer). I will pass this release of The Nightfly, specially at this price.

c-eling likes this.
  12. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

Anybody know why this has been taken down from Music Direct? Did they sell out or is it cancelled?

13. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

The Mofi Nightly will be a 45rpm record, not 33rpm like the versions you mention. Usually the 45rpm sounds better because of the benefits of the format. But indeed, if you're happy with the record you already own, there's no 'need' to buy it again. I did because I want the best version of my favorite records. It's amazing what they achieved with the Bill Evans record, so I'm looking forward to other One Steps.

Joti Cover and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I'm kind of curious as well as to why the MOFI 1-Step Nightfly is no longer on the Music Direct site. What really gives?

RuffNinja likes this.
  15. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

My order is still in the Music Direct system as a back order so I guess it's sold out and still going to ship at some point.

16. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

From what I understand there are artwork copyright issues preventing them from displaying the order online. MusicDirect is still taking phone orders...approximately 1500 remain available for purchase.

Hagi and musicdr like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

MoFi should be pleased with the response to this new product. It looks like all of them will have sold old out before release. It doesn't get any better in that business.

18. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

Phone order? What year have I woken up in? Why not just have a listing for the album without the artwork then...

19. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

It's the year when people don't like to actually speak to other human beings... ;-) Just kidding....
    I called them and ordered one. Was off the phone in 2 minutes. They'll even let you buy 2! One to play, and one to sell in the future at 3x the price to someone who hesitated in buying one when originally available. I also asked about the web listing and was told the same thing - artwork hadn't been approved yet. I also thought it was a strange reason.

RuffNinja likes this.
  20. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

Guess I have to ring them up then. Let's hope they understand my broken English and Norwegian accent :p

21. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Thank you to those that mentioned that you can pre-order this through Music Direct. Did that as soon as they opened this morning. It's backordered and has a tentative release date in September, but at least now I'm on the list. I don't mind waiting. I support artists through Pledgemusic and sometimes you wait for well over a year for the vinyl that has yet to even be recorded.

22. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Shared this thread with my Dad. I distinctly remember hearing The Nightfly on cassette in the car back in 1982. Might have been there when he bought it at Tower Records. Anyways, this was his reply:

[​IMG]

ZippyPippy, alx7, bruce2 and 2 others like this.
  23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I just called and pre-ordered two copies from MD. I was told they are estimating a December release date. :yikes:

24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

December.. good. This way I can tell my wife it was a Christmas Present to myself :).

Jimijam, AudiophilePhil and ifyouever like this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I feel there will be none left by release date if it is actually December. Now you know why I didn't want my card charged immediately. I have two possible orders just in case one falls through. If I get the two then I don't mind obviously.... I just want to make sure I get at least one!

Oh well, may aswell forget about I for a while. I also have the Supertramp - Breakfast in America on order...hope i don't have to wait too long for this aswell...

AudiophilePhil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.