Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

So we have to agree to disagree then when it comes to the sonic quality. Also, choosing a title for One-Step is another story. I have no complain with the choice of this title because it's one of my favorite albums but don't get me wrong. I myself prefer those albums that were recorded on analog master reel-to-reel tapes for the One-Step treatment.

Let me repeat it again! Yes it's an 11/11 effort as the best sounding "The Nightfly" version, digital or analog!

It's your own opinion. My opinion stays the same. It's 11/11 in my book!

10/11 is good but again, it's your own opinion and mine is 11/11!

audiotom likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

As I mentioned before, it's hard to compare apples to apples anyway, what with each copy potentially sounding different, and, of course, the equipment upon which we listen. When we're trying to discern whether an opinion might be close to their own personal tastes, it's good to get a sense of the reviewer, as well as a sense of their equipment, too. Is their equipment likely close to what you're listening on, or quite a bit different - in tonality, in accuracy, in level of quality, etc.

I have no doubt that what you hear and report is based on what you hear, what you have heard prior to listening, your tastes, and what your equipment can deliver (that includes your listening room). If your listening experience with this album is an 11/11, don't let my listening experience undermine it. It's really for others, who are trying to discern and/or parse out what they read to see how relevant it is to them. Michael Fremer's system is almost unfathomable as to how much it costs. It can wreak music and detail out of records most of us can only hope for. His system is balanced for his tastes as well as his need for ultimate accuracy given that he is a reviewer. He can't have the system that excels purely for rock and roll, for example. As our system's go down in what they cost, they're going to be more flawed in some way. They may not reach as far down, or they may not resolve inner detail as well, or they may not convey spacial qualities as well, or they may not have lightning fast transients, or note sustain may not be as long, or the system isn't as capable of conveying large or small scale dynamics, or both, etc. All of these are variables.

So all we can do is report what we hear, given our own relative number of flaws, more or less. How it will relate to your own experience is something that the reader may have to do a little homework to ascertain.

mozz and NorthNY Mark like this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The bottom line is we have to agree to disagree. I'm giving it 11/11 and you are giving it 10/11. I am happy and you are not quiet happy. We have different audio systems and that's expected. Yes, Michael Fremer owns a far more expensive system but I don't agree with everything he says.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm waiting for Fremer's review of this. Ought to be interesting.

alx7 and AnalogJ like this.
  6. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I would have thought he would have done that by now.

I'd like to know what Fremer thinks as well.

7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Make it $10,000.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Pretty sure they used the 96/24 and mastered it a wee bit hot.

Doesn't matter. Great record. If it sounds good, love it.

9. 1982 and 1984 both boggle my mind as great years for music. YMMV, of course, but looking at the Top 40 or Hot 100 for any week of either year is like looking at a Greatest Hits of the 80’s CD/mix/playlist/etc.

10. I think it was concluded earlier in the thread that MoFi most probably used the original 16/50 3M master.

11. crmcatee

crmcatee Forum Resident

Bit the bullet and opened my copy, it safely having made it across the pond from MOFI.

Initially disappointed to see that both cardboard sleeves were broken through; why they didn't ship them separately is anyones guess (lessons learnt for next time I hope).
    I have emailed MOFI so waiting to see what they say.

Musically - it's outstanding. Bass is rich and open, top end just right and not too bright. Certainly a foot tapping player; cranked it up so I wasn't getting the silence in-between the tracks and I can hear the start of the track coming a groove before it starts but once it starts; it's outstanding. Puts all my other versions to shame. A definite he's playing in the room LP.

Dmann201, DrJ, AudiophilePhil and 3 others like this.
  12. jonnyeric

jonnyeric Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Well.............. :edthumbs:

13. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Got my hands on my long-awaited copy last night bought from a reseller in UK. We indeed have a special product here! Initially I was somewhat disappointed in the first half minute or so. I thought it was bass heavy and muddy and a bit coarse (not smooth). Maybe my hopes were set too high? But then it started to lock in after a short while. I think I was startled because it does indeed sound quite different from other pressings. After that I cranked it up and this pressing really begs to be cranked up. Not ear deafening levels but nice and loud. Very easy on the ears. The details of the recordings really stand out and I hear stuf in detail I never heard before. So nowmI’m starting to feel very good about the album. Song after song gets my foot stompin.

It all ends in tears though or should I say anger and disappointment...side 3 has a nasty scratch in the beginning of the side for about 10 revelations. It makes a distinct pop on each revelation -way above music level. Damn! On a closer look it is indeed a scratch very sharp and ”white”. Quite thin and deep like a sharp object has caused it. Not very happy about this. I was so close to be very very pleased with my purchase from Analogue Seduction. Of course I will ask for a replacement disc. I guess they will have to ask MFSL in the states for it and regarding the very limited pressing I’m not sure they can produce it. We will see.

FashionBoy and AudiophilePhil like this.
  14. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

BTW my pressing issue is #2829.

FashionBoy likes this.
  15. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Interesting. I have the exact same fault, I assumed it was something unique to my copy. Hope the replacement discs come out soon.

16. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

The seller wants me to send the whole box back - I was hoping for just that they could send the replacement LP2 out to me...and I have not have the time to send it back.

I'm under the impression that the scratch was caused by handling the LP near to a sharp pointy object.

17. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

My black new record jacket replacements are on the way. When mofi ships a boxed album such as kind of blue 45rpm or Rickie Lee Jones debut 45rpm box the records come in the normal mofi liner.

If they shipped these 1 steps that way with the record jackets in the box but not having the records in the cardboard jackets while shipping would completely eliminate the torn record jackets.

Robert C likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, the handlers at the pressing plant leave much to be desired. I feel bad for people overseas that have to rely on resellers. Music Direct is easy to deal with over here.

Jimijam likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My copy of this from Analogue Seduction has a lesser issue at start of side 3 which luckily does not run into the music apart from one loud pop. Could be they got a bad batch.

20. AnalogJ

Say goodbye to having a copy, I would say. Is the seller guaranteeing a replacement?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If the seller bought from MOFI or Music Direct, there is a chance of replacements.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve got to say that the pressing could have been better by RTI.

Mine didn’t have any sound issues like pops or anything, but it wasn’t their quietest pressing (yes, I expect more or less silent for a reissue like this!)

Also, the vinyl didn’t look quite as good as their normal standard of pressing.

23. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

They say they have but they do not have if for sale anymore. Funny should they be holding out on full box sets just to accomodate replacements?

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve told them that via email. They just responded that it might be ‘difficult’ and they would have to check with the pressing plant.

Preston likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

I had mentioned that my copy wasn't as quiet as I normally expect. It doesn't ruin the experience, ultimately. There are few quiet passages.

richbdd01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.