Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My copy was very quiet. I haven't heard too many records better than this.

alx7, AudiophilePhil and FashionBoy like this.
  2. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I think it was caused by a long finger nail during handling. Probably the same handler scratching the other ones too.

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My copy has quiet surfaces too.

alx7 likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Or jewelry?

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Ditto.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Probably caused in the unloading / trimming process coming off the press. If it is an obvious mark which mine does not have I can't understand how this could be missed at sleeving and inspection stage.

bluejimbop likes this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I can just picture a lady with Toucan beak-length fake fingernails pulling the records off the spindles and obliviously scratching each one as she inserts them into the sleeve.

8. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

That may be when it happened during inspection

9. Classicrock

I'm sure they are supposed to wear gloves at RTI. Strange this should happen on the most expensive premium product.

Joti Cover and Preston like this.
  10. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

You're probably right. Handling these with gloves makes sense for QA.

11. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

In the photos of manufacturers filling orders, seems like everyone is wearing gloves. Would seem to be Step One ...

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

This upsets me. I had the same issue on the Rolling Stones in Mono box set. Every LP was perfect ... except perhaps my favorite Stones album Let It Bleed. Side one is perfect, side two has record noise in the middle tracks. I asked Music Direct if I could simply exchange that album and they said the manufacturer said no: the entire box has to be returned. So, I just kept it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

You could always order another, switch out the bad disc, then return the "bad" box without replacement?

IanL, Preston, Robert C and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

"Record noise" or a tick? Did you give it a good cleaning? You may laugh at me, but when I had a similar issue with a record, I used a little car wax on the bad spot. Gently buff in the wax, and mine did not skip or make noise afterwards.

Preston likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup. Followed that up with some turpentine and hydrochloric acid. Did the trick.

giantleech and Robert C like this.
  16. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

The scratch on my side 3 was sharp and deep - not seen by a glance. A fingernail cannot have done it - unless it had been sharpened ;-) Jewelry? Maybe... When looking closer it was the typical white/grey from the groove walls being damaged and moving towards the playing area. Maybe the residue from the scratch could be removed with a sharpened toothpick? If you are lucky it works sometimes if the scratch is not too deep.

17. Classicrock

Usually that can be caused by a piece of edge trimming flicking back onto disc before cooling. Found this on at least one MFSL and stray piece of vinyl in the sleeve.

18. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Sure AnalogJ, make fun of what you don't know. I had a record with a skip and when I applied a touch of wax, it filled in the offending area and afterwards the record played through the skip area perfectly. As I said, I buffed out the small amount (dash on my fingertip) of wax carefully with a clean record cloth, so no scratches were made. You know where you can put your turpentine and hydrochloric acid don't you?

Tremaindous and mpayan like this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, it's a funny, eh? There are lots of weird sounding things that work. I recall a rubber cement type product that you put on the records, then pull off when it dries in a sheet. Supposed to deep clean. On the other hand, there are people who use isopropyl alcohol to clean their records, a real no-no.

I hope y'all enjoy your harvest celebration day, the time with your families and watching football. :cheers:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    bluejimbop likes this.
  21. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Next up according to MUSIC DIRECT is: Simon & Garfunkel in February 2018 and Stevie Ray Vaughn to follow.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Stevie Ray Vaughn? :sigh:

jonnyeric likes this.
  23. Slick Willie

Yes and another Bill Evans it seems.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Great, should save some money then...glad I got the Nightfly seen as there’s nothing else interesting in the pipeline for a while... :p

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

:shake: :hurl:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    richbdd01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.