Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I find it easy to tell that it's digital, and still feel it was an odd choice for this series. Not enough difference (compared to the RL vinyl) to be a feather in MoFi's cap on this one.
    IMO.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Fremer has never heard an RL of this one, so his review is tainted. He compared this with the old MoFi and a CD. Well, compared to those, this is a significant improvement, but compared to the RL, it's not so cut and dried.

RelayerNJ and Slick Willie like this.
  3. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat, he's got some of the best ears in the business. He prefers all analog, like most vinyl lovers, but he does give props to well recorded digital.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

When people say they are hearing things they've never heard before could you elaborate? When I hear of examples and put on a supposedly inferior version I can still hear them. Somebody recently gave an example of the breath towards the beginning of "Wish You Were Here" and I was like how could you have NOT previously heard that unless your only experience with the song is through a transistor AM radio?

ashlee5 and driverdrummer like this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

This is where I shook my head. How can you do a proper review without comparing it to an original?

marcb, Chemguy, SteelyNJ and 2 others like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Eh, opinions vary on whether or not he has golden ears.

7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I think when people say this they just mean they've noticed something they've never noticed before. That's happened to me several times when I've listened to a new version of an album I know well. But then if I go back to the original version, the thing I've just noticed is there, and I wonder how I ever missed it.

Lucca90, Nostaljack and c-eling like this.
  8. Slick Willie

At 45rpm some things do sort of smack you in the face that were always resting comfortably there.

Phil Tate and c-eling like this.
  9. Fremer himself claims he does NOT have “golden ears.”

From the Randi/Fremer/Pear Cable challenge in 2007:

“Michael Fremer has expressly stated as a condition of his challenge acceptance . . . that he does not believe he has above average hearing.”

https://gizmodo.com/311034/updated-...-challenge-do-7250-cables-sound-better-or-not

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. It don’t know if that has ever happened, but supposedly Michael posted a review of the 2010 Capitol reissue of Pet Sounds that didn’t mention it was digitally sourced, and then issued a revised review indicating the record sounded like it was cut from digital. The original review was removed from his website, although maybe it is still accessible on the Wayback Machine. Anyway, I have not read the original article and have no idea what the differences between the reviews are. This is the REVISED review of the 2010 Capitol reissue of Pet Sounds:

Capitol Delivers a Digital-Based Pet Sounds (REVISED REVIEW)

11. Slick Willie

And yet you mention it anyway? Without any proof? Or am I missing something?

12. You’re missing something—you misunderstood what I wrote. You are confusing the word “that” (which I used) with the word “this” (which I did not).

When I said “I don’t know if that has ever happened,” I was referring to mpayan’s hypothetical:
    You see, the word “that” refers to an antecedent clause—in this case, the antecedent was mpayan’s hypothetical. I didn’t use the word “this,” which would refer to subsequent clauses.

And, as I said above, I don’t know if mpayan’s hypothetical ever happened. But, I do know about the revised Pet Sounds review Fremer posted and the controversy surrounding it. If you’d like, you can search the Hydrogen Audio forum archives for some not-very-nice discussion about it. I like Fremer and correspond with him from time to time over email and PM’s, and I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions like what the folks at Hydrogen Audio did.

ispace and Slick Willie like this.
  13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

As long as you are giving free lessons in grammar an writing, looks like an honest mistake if the "antecedent clause" was in several posts above, especially since such clauses are usually in the same sentence.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Actually, it really doesn't, but I've done enough thread-pooping for one day-will bring it a bit back in line by noting the "was it originally recorded in digital" factor has complicated my decisions in music-Gabriel's So, which I understand was digitally recorded, is a fave album of mine but I always get noisy versions, including two Classic versions, so I'm just sticking with the black triangle and the SACD, rationalizing (probably incorrectly) that it won't make that big a difference anyway.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

He can’t, I agree. But he can rate how good he thinks the record sounds from a general standpoint. But I guess I’m a little surprised he didn’t have an RL to be honest....

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I know I’ve asked this before....but are we completely disregarding Chris Bellman’s cut of the Nightfly? No one ever mentions it....is it because it isn’t any good or nobody has it? Weird...

SteelyNJ likes this.
  18. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Mikey probably does have an old RL copy, probably just didn't want to go looking for it.

19. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Had it.

Didn't like it. Too much treble, not enough bass.

Sold it for half of what I paid for it.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Fair enough. Thought I’d ask....his records do sometimes seem a little bright depending on the source I think. I was just intrigued.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So is analogue or at least mixed to analogue tape. US is digital as are later albums. PG IV was a mix of digital and analogue.

22. I’m not giving any grammar lessons, I was just explaining what I wrote, and there wasn’t any other way to do that. I don’t pretend to think my grammar is better than anyone else’s. In any event, I quoted mpayan’s statement directly above the sentence where I referred to it. It was not several posts above. See?

I think we all just need to lighten up! :laugh:

23. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

That is your inference, not my implication. I could not possibly tell you how good someone's ears are, and I doubt you know anyone that could. He's well respected for good reason, and has learned more than most audiophiles over the years, just as a chef learns more throughout their career than someone that is just a good cook.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

To be honest, I couldnt care less what the fella says. Ive been listening to records and cds for 30 yrs on various systems also. Difference is I dont do it for a living and have vested interests many times in the product I review.

25. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

No offense, but it certainly sounds like you care about what the fella says. Aren't we talking about whether someone has the chops to be able to tell the difference between an analog and digital source?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.