Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yup, I'd send that pic to MD ...maybe they can explain?

TDurden likes this.
  2. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

I just traded messages with the seller on Discogs, which is where I bought it. He said that he did get it from a friend with music industry connections so I’m betting it does stand for Promo. Wonder how many they sent out that way? Another thing to ask them when I speak to them later today.
    Sadly, I’m thinking if it is a promo they will be reluctant to give me a replacement 2nd disc. We’ll see.
    By the way, it sounds incredible. I know it’s a digital recording but man, it is impressive. Some very slight sibilance on the hi hat in a couple of songs but beyond that (and the pops on side 4) it is flawless. I heard small details in almost every song that I haven’t heard before and I know the album pretty intimately.
    Is it worth what I paid for it? No. Am I glad I bought it? Yes
    I’m not one for buyer’s remorse. I made the decision to get it and I am going to enjoy the hell out of it! :agree:

sharedon, bibijeebies and SteelyNJ like this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Poo x 32?

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I am pretty sure the sibilance is cartridge dependant. I have heard two hi-res rips and one was done with an Ortofon 2M too. It had the issues you described.
    The other one was done with an Audio-Technica AT33/PTG and sounded much better (sorry to say, but true).

TDurden likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I kind of like the answer that it may have been a promotional box (not that it necessarily reflects when the records inside the box were stamped).

TDurden likes this.
  6. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

I just got off the phone with MoFi and they confirmed that the P does indicate that it’s a promo. Unfortunately I was correct about them not replacing the 2nd disc. He said if it was a normal copy they could but since it is a promo they can’t. Dissapointing...:cry:

7. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I just got the cartridge along with my new turntable and phono pre amp a couple of months ago and I really like what the Shibata cut stylus brings out in the recordings so I’ll live with it but will keep that in mind when it’s time to replace it.

8. AnalogJ

What?? They can't just replace a disc?

9. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

I hear you, I feel the same way but that’s what he said. He was quite matter of fact about it. I guess they think that since they gave it out for free and didn’t make any money on it they don’t need to make it right. If I had been thinking I would have just asked if they could replace the disc and not mentioned the P in the serial #. Then call back tomorrow or the next day to find out about the serial #. Hindsight...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  10. AnalogJ

Or call again and see if a different person answers the phone.

TDurden likes this.
  11. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Good idea. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow :righton:

12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I cannot help the feeling that lots of people likely bought this MoFi one-step as investment.
    The same as people that bought a 'backup' copy of the Beatles mono vinyl box set, you know just-in-case....

ellingtonic likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s entirely possible they are contractually constrained from replacing a promo disc. The contract is likely very specific about quantities produced and sold, replacement discs, and maintaining an accurate inventory account of each and every disc.

bluejimbop and TDurden like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

While I completely understand why both of you feel that you "should" get another copy of disc 2, but in reality, you really shouldn't, especially if you just bought it from a random "seller". It's a promo and the ONLY way that they should replace a "promo" copy of something, is if it were being used to "promote" what they (Mobile Fidelity) actually spent money to have pressed for someone to actually promote it! (NOTE: Possibly a radio station or a promotion's person from MOFI, or a big deal guy like Steve Hoffman or Fremer). I feel your pain that it's defective, but, it's a promo and it was "meant" to be used by whomever sold it to you, or the person who may have possibly sold it to them, who in turn, sold it to you! More than likely they will easily be able to figure out at MOFI, just who was supposed to get that Fagen promo disc, thanks to your posting of the actual P and serial number and they more than likely will be taken off their mailing list and will be cursing your names for ever bring this up on this forum!

Simon A, AnalogJ and TDurden like this.
  15. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Yeah, I do understand where they are coming from. I should have just passed on it and bought one with a ‘normal’ serial number. Honestly, I didn’t notice that info in the listing. It was there, I just missed it. I was never worried about what the serial number was since I was planning to keep and play it.
    Let the original recipient curse away. They get absolutely zero concern or sympathy from me. They put themselves (and me) in this situation.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

THAT, my forum friend, I TOTALLY agree with!

Again, I'm sorry that yours is defective because those babies aren't cheap, even at their regular selling price. In my opinion, NO recording of this price point should ever have any measurable amounts of sound problem issues and if MOFI is going to continue to release these expensive albums, then it's their duty to always have some extra pressings handy (minus the promos!), to quickly replace any and all who complain, as long as the complainer can show justified receipt of purchase!

TDurden likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Ask for the replacement first, then ask about the "P". Possible even on a 2nd call.

Edit:
    Oops, I see you asked for the replacement after letting them know about the P....oh well...

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The complete Fagen studio albums box set is only £65 on Amazon Italy.

TDurden likes this.
  19. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Yep...:doh:
    I have a feeling that they would have asked me for the serial number at some point during the transaction anyway. Still, it would have been worth a shot. Like you said, oh well...

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

This is interesting...I sent them an email inquiry asking only about the serial number a couple days ago and had not received a response which is what prompted me to call today. Just got a response to that inquiry...
    I quote, ‘I am not sure what the “P”stands for either, but that is how all of the numbers are formatted on the One-Step box sets. You have copy number 32! That’s a great number!’
    I’m just gonna drop it but if anyone from MoFi is reading this thread, you may want to be sure your customer service folks are educated on your product. :)
    Just to be clear, overall I have had nothing but good product and good service from these folks. I began buying from them back in the late 70’s and have only had to return one album. It was handled quickly and professionally. I worked in the record biz for many years a while back and understand their point of view, just bummed out that it didn’t work out for me. Live and learn. No more acquisitions of anything limited edition if there is a P anywhere near the serial number!

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You guys don't think they won't tell you to 1) go through your retailer or 2) provide a proof of purchase at some point?

I'm telling you they likely have contractual controls and limitations on these discs. Whoever owns the licensing is going to make sure they aren't getting screwed out of a dime by MFSL running off a few extra copies and selling them on the sly. Every disc - including promos - likely has to be accounted for.

TDurden likes this.
  22. Slick Willie

Possibly/probably you are right, but it's not like they can't say this one isn't theirs. They should honor without proof as the LP itself is proof?
    Maybe those that have had replacements can share some details on their experience with what was required?

TDurden likes this.
  23. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

I came to the same conclusion and added it to my ‘Yep’ response. Probably at exactly the same time you were typing yours. :)

24. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Yeah, I would like to know also

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Did you try giving it a good cleaning?

TDurden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.