Donna Summer Bad Girls DE ripoff?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I just found this on the web:

A 2 CD deluxe version of BAD GIRLS will be released by Mercury/Universal on July 22. This new digitally remastered edition of "the greatest album of disco" will feature the demo of BAD GIRLS as well as 9 extended versions of Donna classics (I FEEL LOVE, LAST DANCE, MAC ARTHUR PARK SUITE, HOT STUFF, BAD GIRLS, DIM ALL THE LIGHTS, WALK AWAY, NO MORE TEARS and ON THE RADIO).

This is a ripoff. All the 12" mixes are available on The Dance Collection (still in print) except for On The Radio. They should of just remastered it and put out as 1 disc. Very disapponited by this. This & the Neil Young news makes for a very crappy Monday.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hmm...the only thing I'm wondering is if they segue "Hot Stuff" into "Bad Girls". Since that was the way I originally heard it on my own 12" single, the Dance Collection didn't have it...or "Bad Girls" for that matter. To its credit, Dance Collection does have the proper non-edited version of "MacArthur". Wonder if this new one has the butchered version?

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Half of those extras don't even have anything to do with this album!

What would be interesting is if they used the rarer 12" version of "Hot Stuff" that was NOT followed by "Bad Girls" on the record (and I don't mean what's on The Dance Collection). I've never heard it, but it is slightly longer than the "common" 12" version.

The 2LP and cassette version of The Dance Collection did have "Bad Girls" on it. I'm guessing they cut it off the CD version due to time restrictions instead of making it a 2CD set, and chose that song since the 12" version of it is the same as the album version.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I certainly would have programmed The Dance Collection a little better--a couple of those songs I never heard before, don't care for them, and don't have the same impact as those (which were genuine hits) that they left off.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Any info on who's mastering this, Bartels?

6. cho

cho New Member

I have the 4 CDs "Cassablanca Story Box" with most of Miss Summer's hits in 12 inch singles versions. Great Box if you are into 12 inch versions singles. Any comments outthere.

7. bartels76

No. That's all the info I have.

Evn some live songs from the Bad Girls era would be nice (post Live & More stuff).

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks anyway.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If the sole reason to buy a 2-disc set is the get the demo version of "Bad Girls," I think I'll pass. It sounds like they are treating "Bad Girls" the way they are the DE edition of the Diana Ross "Diana" album in terms of "concept" (unrelated 12" mixes on the bonus disc). The difference is that some of what will be included with the Diana DE is difficult to find whereas none of these Donna Summer tracks are.

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Need help finding the definitive, great sound, long versions of Love To Love You Baby & I Feel Love!!!

Or, are the power that be, too *#@%$&^ 'SMART', to give me all that I want from Donna Summer on one primo shinny disc?

Picked up; The Universal Masters Collection (DISK Made in Germany).
    GREAT SOUND!!!
    LOVE IT!!!
    However, it's the singles versions.
    So, don't think I'll keep it.
    Can return it next Monday, no problem (except, I am afraid I'll never hear anything close to this good again by DS, on CD again. I just got won over by the Jimi Hendrix W.G. Polydors, and there is NO going back! Japan JH Polydor's can't even compare, IMNotSoHO!).
    Please help me get my DS disco diva divine fix!!!
    Thanks.

O' yeah, how's the sound of the DE's???

11. bartels76

Well I got mine for $ 9.99 through Best Buy so it was well worth it. If you don't have the "The Dance Collection" it's well worth to get the Bad Girls DE since it has pretty much the whole "Dance Collection" songs on the 2nd disc. You'll have to buy the "Love To Love You Baby" CD for the long version of that song. It's real cheap. Check out half.com.
    The sound is awesome!!

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

YES, Shawn!!!
    You got to LOVE this forum!
    Glad you got "The Good Price"!
    No such luck here.
    Enjoy!

Yeah, the sound coming off this German disc, brings tears to my eyes!
    Too think that seventies rock could sound 'this good'!
    Did 'dreaded' disco, have it over rock (generalizing, of coarse) in early/mid seventies recording?

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just bought this yesterday. I had never heard the album before so it was a real treat. It's fun! I was surprised by it since I only have her first four CDs and her 80s CDs. I also have her 1993 Anthology and the "On The Radio" CD.

Except for the excellent Donna Summer mix of "Enough Is Enough", the 12" versions are worthless to me, as they just edit parts of a song to the end to extend it. I could do better.

Besides, the CD is compressed. Not peak limited, just compressed, which is still bad.

But, i'll keep it.

Yes, "Hot Stuff" and Bad Girls" do crossfade!:thumbsup:

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I remember when "remastered" used to be a good thing. After going to the record collectables show last month and getting mint LP's for $1.....I think I will avoid a lot of these collections and try to find the LP's.

Maybe I'll see if Bad Girls is there in October. The wife would love it. That's a lot of entertainment for $1 !

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I had never owned this album before, and was very impressed by it. I was surprised how much I liked the "ballad" side of the album (what used to be "side three" in the good old days. :)). About the last thing I expected on an album by a disco diva was a tasteful use of steel guitar, but there it was. :thumbsup:

Like Shawn, I snagged it when it was (mis?) priced at $9.99 at Best Buy, it was difficult to feel ripped off about it. :) It was mastered by Ellen Fitton.

Regards,

16. bartels76

I think it sounds fine. I've had the vinyl; when I was a kid, the original CD , and now this. This sounds the best out of the 3. The $ 9.99 price made it even sweeter.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

As typical with the deluxe editions, Universal issues a single disc CD with the deluxe remastering and a couple of bonus tracks. When that comes out, i'll dump this one and get the single set.

I just wish Ellen Fetton hadn't compressed this CD.

18. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Both of these are on the Casablanca Story box set.

The full-length LTLYB is on the album of the same name. It was never released as a 12" single, so I guess it didn't make sense to include it on The Dance Collection.

The 8-minute version of "I Feel Love" is also on The Dance Collection. If the "long version" you're thinking of is 15+ minutes, that's the Patrick Cowley megamix version done in the early 80s. It's out on some Unidisc compilation.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, there was a 12" single of "Love To Love You Baby", but it was almost made up like an album compared to her other Casablanca 12" singles that I know of. It was double sided with the long version of "Try Me I Know We Can Make It" from A Love Trilogy on the other side, had an LP catalog number (NBLP 7041 instead of NBD XXXXX), and had a custom cover, instead of a generic company sleeve. The front of the cover was pinkish with birds and a heart and said "Love To Love You Baby" in large script like type, and the back had a picture of Donna on a swing in a kind of an otherworldly looking type of picture, like she's in the sky. I've seen a Casablanca discography online refer to this with an album title called First Lady of Love, though I don't think the 12" actually says that anywhere on the cover (I don't have a copy of this - I've just seen pictures of it online), so I can't say where that title comes from? Also since I don't have a copy of this, I can't confirm if they did a new cutting of these songs specifically for the 12" single, or if they just used the parts already available from the albums.

I got the DE last Wednesday of Bad Girls, diana, and I Want You. I'll try and post a review of these later this week.

20. Graham Start

It's really more of a compilation than a 12" single, as the catalog number, sleeve, price, and marketing would indicate. It's basically one side each from her first two US LPs slapped together, and didn't come out until about '76 or so, long after the song's initial popularity had died down. I seem to recall that this comp has the back cover of LTLYB as the front, but I could be mistaken.

I have scores of Casablanca 12s, and only ones with custom sleeves are the TGIF series, Paul Jabara's "Disco Wedding", and Patrick Juvet's dreadful "I Love America". All of these were promo-only releases.

21. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Point of order, Mr. Chairman! I have a Donna Summer 12" single "Winter Melody" b/w "Spring Affair" that comes in a full-fledged picture sleeve. Dated 1977, cat. # NBD 100, US pressing. Front cover pictures Donna in a furry white parka, back has her wearing a southern-belle type dress on a swing. "A Casablanca Disco Single" is emblazoned across the front top.

Neither side breaks 4 mins., so they're obviously not extended mixes.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

On a swing... That's what I was thinking was on the back of NBLP 7041. I could swear I saw a front and back picture of it before and it also had the "swing" picture on the back - maybe they used this picture for the back of both NBD 100 and NBLP 7041?

24. Graham Start

Ah yes. This was Casablanca's very first 12" single, thus its uniqueness. I don't have this one, but I have seen it in my travels... but too costly to pick up for something that didn't have any different material. I like a nice presentation, but I won't pay through the nose just for a fancy sleeve. Is yours a promo copy?

As an aside... for a label that had such a huge impact on disco, Casablanca never really got the 12" single format down right. Most of their singles were promo-only, and worst of all, they insisted on leaving one side blank on the bulk of them. Conventional dance music wisdom is that if you've only got one track, you put it on both sides so that if one side gets scratched, you've still got the other. You might think that this was a ploy for more sales, but as I mentioned before, most Casablanca 12s were not offered to the public for sale in the first place. Worst of all was when they put two tracks on one side, and left the other blank -- I've got a few where the 12" single is actually longer, and thus cut at lower volume, than the commercial LPs!

25. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Doesn't say promo anywhere, I assume it's a stock copy. I remember picking it up at a fund-raising sale at a local temple, back around 1980 or 81. Some guy had a box of sealed 12" singles for a quarter apiece. Got some other goodies, including Jeff Lynne's "Doin' That Crazy Thing" and John Lodge's "Natural Avenue." Kinda wish I'd just bought the whole damn boxful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.