'Donnie Darko' Movie Soundtrack CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleFred, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member Thread Starter

Just recently, I started getting more into watching dvd's. A friend of mine recommended 'Donnie Darko' which I picked up and saw the other night - pretty good film, rather intriguing.

I must say, at the end of the movie, there is a sombre-sounding song thats played called "Mad World" and it blew me away when I heard it- what a song- if there's ever a song thats the epitome of being hauntingly-beautiful, then "Mad World" is it!

Actually, the version in the movie soundtrack is performed and sung by Gary Jules. The original "Mad World" which may sound a bit different was written by Tears for Fears some years back.

The Gary Jules rendition reminds me a bit of Michael Stipe (REM)- bare vocals, piano, but the recording is FANTASTIC- even on my 2 channel system, it sounds like I am in a state of the art movie theater. I had ordered the Donnie Darko cd soundtrack Online and it arrived today.

Just thought I'd mention it to anyone who might be interested to check it out- the whole cd soundtrack is a good workout for your speakers.

And that song "Mad World" is just really knocking me out! Has anyone else here seen the movie/heard the song ??

2. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Great movie but I can't remember that song. I'll have to check it out.

3. BeatleFred

You are the exception- most people who hear it are struck by it immediately, as Ive read about Online at some Donnie Darko related Sites.

Yes, please check it out again.

"Cruel Intentions" is another movie. The song in the ending there, The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony", while certainly well known from the radio, it really makes an impact at the end of that movie.

Regards, B/F.

4. BeatleFred

5. mjb

mjb Senior Member

There's also an excerpt from TFF's "Head Over Heels" used in the film, but I don't believe it appears on the soundtrack album.

Jules' version of "Mad World" can also be found on his most recent album, Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets, available online at CD Baby.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great cult movie!

And I also noticed that great version of TFF's "Mad World". Very haunting version. Strikes you right in the labonza right away:D.

7. BeatleFred

The movie soundtrack cd has TWO versions of "Mad World" on it - the 2nd is also performed by Gary Jules but adds percussion in the background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.