Donovan: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Way under rated. Agree with the post that said the wheel will turn and he will eventually be given his just credit. Actually my younger sister (30 something) recently told me how much she loved Hurdy Gurdy Man a few weeks ago when she came over and saw a Donovan album in my stack. So we fired it up and had a great time listening to it together. Every once and a while something happens that makes you think there is hope for the world !!

notesofachord, Moshe and bumbletort like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

His autobiography made himself out to be a big- head when he talks about Liam Gallagher (who) told him he stole Don's furry hooded parka image(photo in book). :)
    Still worth a read tbough.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. alexpop

Yes he fell by the way side a couple of years before the punk explosion. Although ironically Donovan calls his 'Open Road'.. his punk album' (controversial lyrics ). His most contemporary sounding album imo.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

More influential than he gets credit for. At the ashram in India, he taught John Lennon the fingerpicking technique he used on "Julia." After Cosmic Wheels, he made several good albums (including one for children), but his real landmark albums are from the '60s. As for being "fashionable" or not, folk-based artists are generally not concerned with going in and out of style. They stay true to themselves and create the kind of music they like, and it's appreciated by their fans, however small in number they may be.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Roger just to point out that Richard Thompson was a fan he covered Season Of The Witch.

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sounds like you haven't read the thread you revived?

As someone who basically didn't care for most of his hippy dippy shtick, I'm finding this a very interesting thread.

I remember loving Catch the Wind, and had a fondness for Atlantis. For some reason I bought the cd Beat Café, probably because some Donophile raved about it here, and hated it. For one thing it was outrageously loud. The songs except for the covers didn't appeal to me.

But based on what I'm reading now, if there was any decent 2 disk comp that contained more that the usual suspects, I'd consider it.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Thread '?
    I didn't revive it.
    A Gort morphed my new one into this one.

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

aaah, I see

9. alexpop

All Things Donovan .....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

So did Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger, a very cool version at the time
    I worked with Julie (a style icon) and Robert Powell (future Jesus Christ) on a BBC Play about hippies and personal freedoms, of the same name
    Season of the Witch by Johnny Byrne aided by Jenny Fabian ,ex 60s groupie

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Julie Tippet amazing vocalist.
    Believe Robert Powell married one of Pans People. Is that the same Byrne that goes by the another non de plume 'Patrick' ( album covers ) ?

12. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Jenny Fabian of Syd Barrett fame - wasn't she the one on the Madcap Laughs cover?

Some great outtakes: the first Sunshine Superman version of Superlungs, and the early alternate Epistle to Dippy which I prefer to the single version.

13. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

No.

alexpop likes this.
  14. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Johnny Byrne wrote Heartbeat and Dr Who
    Robert Powell married Babs (everyones favourite) from Pans (gulp) People

alexpop likes this.
  15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The one who was involved in the 1971 "Season of the Witch" was not the Byrne who had painted under the nom de plume "Patrick" and who also, coincidentally, is a well known playwright.

16. alexpop

Donovan' composer of the 1972 The Piped Piper -Jacques Demy film staring John Hurt ' Don as Piper. Not sure if it's available on DVD.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Favorite "deep cuts"?

TINKER TUNE
    OH GOSH
    GET THY BEARINGS
    FERRIS WHEEL

and a bunch more...

Rickchick and Warren Hawk like this.
  18. alexpop

I always thought he's talented .. But not that prolific. :)

19. alexpop

"I Love My Shirt "
    Right Said Fred made a career of this type of oeuvre. :)

moodyxadi likes this.
  20. The "Sunshine Superman" and "Hurdy Gurdy Man" albums were excellent for lazy herbal afternoons. Most of us are too jaded and energized now.

Rickchick likes this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

He was pretty prolific in the years 1966-1968...

22. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I liked Colours and Catch The Wind form his early days as a folkie protest singer. Universal Soldier was nice, too. But the tide turned for me with Sunshine Superman - an album I loved to death. Season of the Witch rocked. The band I was in at the time (still a high school garage rock outfit) covered Season of the Witch and Catch The Wind (using the Blues Project's version as a template). Later we covered Hurdy Gurdy Man. I bought the singles, too, including Mellow Yellow, which while corny, I liked. I never smoked a banana peel, nor stored cinnamon gum (or was that teaberry?) inside it, either. I was naive, but not gullible. Atlantis was fun too. Barabajagal I gought for the Jeff Beck connection, and it wasn't quite up to snuff for me. But I really liked all the material on Sunshine Superman. Just a great record all around. Celeste and Writer in The Sun were two lesser known faves.

23. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

More deep tracks:
    Three King Fishers
    The Trip
    House of Jansch
    Young Girl Blues (one of his best imo)
    Entertaining of a shy Girl
    Poor Cow
    Hampton Incident

Warren Hawk, Hep Alien and bumbletort like this.
  24. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Wow. You have great taste. Also agree re "Young Girl Blues"--my go to when deflating any who feel Don is all kisses and light, a brilliant track.

alexpop and Hep Alien like this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

I saw Donovan live in 1977 (opening for YES) and the crowd loved him; as did I.

rockinlazys and reb like this.