Don't buy the "Beavis And Butt-head" Mike Judge Collection.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monk-E-Boy

Monk-E-Boy New Member

Hey Evan, Im a VHS collector and Im trying to track down some old recordings. I used to have Beavis and Butthead recorded, I had the first 3 seasons and I lost them in time. Ive been lookin online and trying to track some down. I came across this forum and feed, and its a long shot but do you still have these?
    If so Im willing to buy, or can you make copies and I will buy. Or I can convert them for you. Please let me know. Thank you

2. Monk-E-Boy

Monk-E-Boy New Member

Hey Chip, Im a VHS collector and Im trying to track down some old recordings. I used to have Beavis and Butthead recorded, I had the first 3 seasons and I lost them in time. Ive been lookin online and trying to track some down. I came across this forum and feed, and its a long shot but do you still have these?
    If so Im willing to buy, or can you make copies and I will buy. Or I can convert them for you. Please let me know. Thank you

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

amen. and to be fair, it was probably more like 75% of the show's brilliance. the Judge edits years after the fact are annoying, but these shows will never be what they were so long as the videos are missing. the stuff around the videos just wasn't funny to stand on its own without B&B ragging on music videos.

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Look for the "KingTurd" collections on the usual outlets. Someone put these together from the best sources findable (and, for a time at least, were updating them when better-quality tapes were found - not sure if it's still ongoing) and edited them to fit the original first broadcast, as some were altered here and there even after airing just once. The quality is a little all-over-the-place for the earliest episodes in particular, but it's absolutely the most comprehensive, complete versions we'll likely ever get.

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

A reply to a ten year old posting asking for copies or sale of tapes? Damn, son...you must be new here! :-popcorn:

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yesterday.

Chip TRG likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mike Judge was on the Howard Stern Show some time back, and he said if you added up all the money he got from the entire Beavis & Butthead show over five years or something, it was like $250,000 ($50K per year). He was not happy about it, particularly the merchandising, which had made millions for MTV. Judge also said that the MTV people were cheap bastids and wouldn't pay to license the music and all that stuff, so that's part of the reason why the shows got cut on home video. And there were a few lawsuits about kids setting themselves on fire and all that other crap, so some of those shows were cut because of Viacom's legal department. I got the impression that if it were up to Judge, the shows would be 100% complete... but he emphasized several times he had zero ownership or control of the shows at all.

somnar, Jamey K, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Paramount/CBS/Viacom/whatever is notoriously cheap on all levels. How many shows have they put out on DVD with music missing? I can seemingly name a bunch....anything from Cheers to Happy Days to The Fugitive, and the list goes on. You will NEVER see B&B released in any sort of unedited 'proper' form. You've got a better shot at seeing a Blu-Ray of an IB Tech print of STAR WARS being released with the mono soundtrack intact.*

(* = this statement may be too geeky for some, and I apologize) ;)

driverdrummer and Vidiot like this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill are some of the ugliest looking cartoons I've seen. Funny shows though.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You must not have seen very many cartoons in your life. Beavis And Butthead had some limited and somewhat amateurish animation in the beginning but even it looked pretty good and certainly watchable compared to some Filmation cartoons.

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The show always had limited, cheap-looking animation, but that was part of the whole deal with the show. Frankly, I prefer it (or even some Filmation stuff) to some of the stuff on TV now done with the really cheap Flash animation.

They did do some weird stuff with the “Beavis and Butt-Head” revival a few years ago. They created new episodes, but then used stock footage from *old* episodes (but with newly-recorded dialogue) for a lot of couch shots of the two. Really odd. Apparently MTV really are super-cheap if the team working on the show needed to cut corners to that degree. Perhaps in part to make those old shots less jarring, the entire revival “season” in 2011 (or whenever it was) was kept in 4x3 ratio. But it was still really obvious they were going from 2011 4x3 HD to 90’s SD videotape during those shots.

anthontherun likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Geeky, but I completely understood it (no surprise there). :) I'm sure most others reading it did too.

Chip TRG likes this.
  13. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

It's all about de money.

Vidiot and 905 like this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Sadly, I gave all my VHS tapes away in the interim.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed the new season they did a while back, recycled animation and all. I wish they'd do more.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the ratings just weren't there -- the audience kind of moved on for racier fare.

17. DreadPikathulhu

I think part of the problem is that it was on MTV. Who of B&B's audience watches MTV anymore?

Sathington Willoughby and Vidiot like this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I quit watching MTV when you turned it on and there was no music playing. That's been some while!

19. DreadPikathulhu

I was trying to think of the last time I watched MTV regularly and I'm pretty sure it was the late 90s. I don't remember when they stopped showing music, but I think it was a few years later. Beavis & Butthead may have fared better on Comedy Central and I liked how they riffed on reality TV shows in the new series.

20. Rachael Bee

:agree: Absolutely! This reminds me of how Star Trek Enterprise fared so badly on the United Paramount Network. It was the worst channel on the air in most cities. Their Knoxville affiliate was so P-poor that even if you wanted to watch it, sometimes you couldn't because of all the technical glitches. It was pathetic! I no longer know what channel MTV is on my cable.

MikeInFla and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  21. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Plus, MTV seemed to want nothing to do with the revival anyway really. Not much promotion, and worse, they burned it off as quickly as possible by running multiple new episodes per night and then, as far as I'm aware, never once re-ran them after the season ended. They did eventually turn up in reruns once on Comedy Central, but that was all. The way it was handled made me wonder if perhaps the idea of the new season had been supported by an exec who got fired and then, by the time it was ready to air, a new exec had taken over who didn't want to support it anymore than they were contractually obliged to.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I always liked the episode where they're watching a Donny Osmond video, during which Butt Head educates Beavis to the fact that Donny and Marie's father, Lee Harvey Osmond, killed one of the presidents.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never got Beevis and Butthead. I must be a butthead.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Here we are almost ten years after Grant's post was made and we're nowhere near anything that good being released... And I'm not saying that sarcastically: I would love if there was a complete (with videos) Beavis and Butthead collection...

25. Rachael Bee

The only decent Beavis & Butthead DVD's ever released were the two I bought back in the fall of '97 . They have the music videos. One of 'em is a Christmas disc....it has their parody with the three Christmas ghosts. It has The Ramone's It's Christmas I Don't Want To Fight Tonight and Run-DMC's Christmas In Hollis. I can't remember what's on the other one without looking. Both DVD's were pulled sometime in '98.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.