Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefan Sigurdsson, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I've never read a career-encompassing interview with Blue Oyster Cult. For BOC diehards out there, do you know if the band members regret probably not getting the recognition they deserve for those first 5-6 albums? Have they ever spoken out about it in depth?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Get:

Blue Oyster Cult
    Tyranny and Mutation
    Secret Treaties
    On Your Feet Or On Your Knees (Live album)
    Agents of Fortune
    Spectres
    Some Enchanted Evening (Live album)
    Mirrors
    Cultosaurus Erectus
    Fire Of Unknown Origin

Those are in order by release and in my opinion, all essential.
    Maybe start out with the first 5 studio albums.

905 likes this.
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

ccbarr likes this.
  4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

my opinion of don't fear the reaper is the same as the movie clips from " The stoned age " movie.

JulesDassin likes this.
  5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Apologies if posted previously, here's a great article in UNCUT where Al Bouchard, Eric Bloom, Don Roeser, Sandy Pearlman, the co-producer and engineer discuss the song. The Making Of… Blue Oyster Cult’s (Don’t Fear) The Reaper - Uncut

Ya know what's crazy about how mainstream this song has become is the definitely non-mainstream middle break which mixes 3/4, 4/4 and 5/4 time signatures.

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

bataclan2002 likes this.
  7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Cruel...
    but fair.

D.D.

8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Here's a cool psych-folk cover

9. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

I'm surprised that the stereotypical 'metal-head' Blue Oyster Cult fans haven't chimed in to dismiss Buck Dharma's hit-tracks (e.g., Reaper, I Love The Night, Godzilla, and Burnin' For You). In person, this is all I ever hear from other BOC fans!

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Last Days of May was a great (little) song originally, but they have turned it into an epic live. It smokes, with Richie & Buck both laying down some fine solos.

11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

What's funny to me is that it's being offered for $800 on the Amazon marketplace, but Amazon itself is soliciting people to sell them the box set.

They're offering "up to $0.25" for it. Holy lowball, Batman.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Secret Treaties
    Fire Of Unknown Origin
    Spectres
    Agent Of Fortune
    Blue Oyster Cult

ccbarr likes this.
  13. Trainspotting

I also recommend Martin Popoff's book on B.O.C.

[​IMG]

SkeletonPete and ccbarr like this.
  14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Flaming Telepaths is one of their best. They do a great performance of it on the 'Long Day's Night' DVD.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I've read and heard interviews with Buck and Eric. They are extremely smart guys, not surprisingly, and very realistic and down to earth. I think they would have liked to have had more commercial success, but they understand why they didn't. They admit that when they tried to put out more commercial stuff it wasn't their best. One thing that really comes across is that they really appreciate the loyal hardcore following they have.

Pierino likes this.
  16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I listened to Cult Classic last night, the version from that is NOT the version posted earlier from the TV show with the added overdubs.

The Hud likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I found this book disappointing to be honest. While its label "The Blue Öyster Cult Story" it's more a breakdown of all their songs. While that can be interesting, I would have appreciated more of a true history of the band and less of a song by song deal. Still, it's not a bad book.

18. Trainspotting

I think a song-by-song analysis is exactly what most fans would want.

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That's Popoff's approach. I like it too.

20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

A vinyl version of this set would be sweet! I'd guess lackluster market demand would prevent it, but who knows?

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Well, it's gone now, I broke down and bought it. I have had that $150 copy sitting in my basket, and if you're now starting to advertise it here I thought I'd better pull the trigger. I waited too long with getting this box and since it went out of print the prices have been steadily high, that is as "good" a price as I have seen for a sealed copy.

Clean Demon Jim likes this.
  22. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Massif CultHead and "I Love the Night" is one of my fave tracks. Still makes hairs stand on end after how many years?!?

Classicolin likes this.
  23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Heh, I apologize if I put on the pressure in any way. But I gotta say - these sets have dried up drastically within the last 6-8 months, so while it is a lot of money I think its the right time to pull the trigger. If you look at similar situations like the Cheap Trick box which is now priced out of reach for most consumers, you kinda have to act within that window of affordability. And that window for the BOC box appears to be shrinking rapidly. At any rate, I hope you enjoy it.

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

No, it's cool, I needed the push. :thumbsup: Kicking myself for not buying it when it was in print and cost half the price though... The reason I hesitated in the first place is because I have pretty much everything already, except the "rarities" discs (and of course some albums are new remasters as well, like On Your Feet..., so that's of interest), I guess I was hoping it would come down in price, or I'd find a bargain, after it had been around a while, that didn't work out so well. :o

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's on all those comps because it was a huge hit. Probably one of the most played songs on FM radio I ever remember hearing - right up there with tracks like Freebird, Stairway to Heaven, Won't Get Fooled Again, Smoke on the Water, etc etc etc.

Is it their best song? I dunno. I love BÖC, they have many many many great songs IMO. Reaper is just one of them to me.

HfxBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.