"Don't Forget To Remember" ~ The Bee Gees Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I should pull ESP out again at some point soon. It has been my least favorite of the WB years though, despite the Mardin production.

Still Waters is a strange one with all the different producers used. The songs are extremely strong though.

Jrr likes this.
  2. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I love the album,think it far better then Life In A Tin Can and To Whom It May Concern.
    To me they were working towards Main Course even before teaming up with Arif.

3. Castle in the air

They do it live to so seems planned.

Hep Alien and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

WoC was wasted as a b-side and could have been a 4th single off Main Course.

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yeah, but what a single! "Jive Talkin''" backed with "Wind of Change." Two sides of a single don't get much better than that.

JeffMo likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maybe; you never know, but my money would be on Baby As You Turn Away. An obvious commercial hit, thought maybe they felt that with Fanny released, it was too much in the same style. I think that’s about the best song I’ve ever heard that was a last song on an album.

Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I bought Main Course when I was a little tike and the only reason was because of the incredible strength of all three songs that were on the back of the Main Course album as singles. Wind Of Change, Country Lanes and whatever the third one was (hmm, I wonder if it was a live song from their Bee Gees Live album...but I’m pretty sure it was on Main Course because I remember how great it was that I had six songs from that album).

JeffMo and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

The b-side was "Edge of the Universe" which the the studio version found on Main Course. The live version from Here at Last... would hit #26 on the pop charts a couple years later.

Hep Alien, Jrr and JeffMo like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Main Course started it all for me / first Bee Gees album and a Christmas present from gramma. Wonder what she thought of the naked woman drawing on the cover?!?

:D

Hep Alien and Jrr like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Same here. I always thought it was cool that I liked them prior to their huge breakout beginning with You Should Be Dancing. By the time the SNF soundtrack came out I was way ahead of the curve and bought it day one,

JeffMo likes this.
  11. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

It sounds like it's only Robin singing the word "share" which causes it to sound different since Barry and Maurice drop out.

12. Castle in the air

They always stayed pretty faithful to the studio version of a song when performing it live so either was a deliberate thing on Main Course or they were trying to duplicate the sound live.

13. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Kilburn Towers is an all time favourite for me, but probably little known outside huge Bee Gees' fans.

Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  14. Harry Hotspur

My preference is for the Sketches versions as I find Robin over the top, for me at least, on much of the released album.

15. Harry Hotspur

Cucumber Castle is probably my favourite Bee Gees album. I remember it came in a heavy cardboard cover. The songs are all strong and, although over the top in places, free of the Robin histrionics I had come to dislike. There is also a variety to the songs and If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else should have been a UK hit as it was in the USA but I don't think got a release here.

granata likes this.
  16. Harry Hotspur

I agree that The Greatest Man In The World is out of this world and Barry at his best.

17. Harry Hotspur

Agree not a duff track on To Whom It May Concern with the lovely I Can Bring Love the pick of the bunch for me.

apple-richard likes this.
  18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Cucumber Castle is actually my least favorite of their catalog, partly because of Robin's absence lol. Oh well, to each their own, right? :righton:

Agreed. TWIMC is an absolutely wonderful album. :agree:

My second favorite album after Main Course. :love:

granata likes this.
  19. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

That was where I sold all my 45s and lps in early 2000s. This included the 1st through trafalgar lps as well as my beatles and 250 other albums.

Batears52 likes this.
  20. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Though i originally had more lps by them before disposing my collection for space and moisture damage, i have cds of 1st to Odessa, and saturday nite fever. Great group, and there are a slew of covers of to love somebody.

21. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

When this album came out, it wasnt too long after robert kennedy’s death. I read through the comments and not much comment about In the summer of his years, which i love cuz i thought it related , at least to me at the time, to the loss of kennedy as he was hitting his stride or even his brother. Anyways, this beautiful song deserves more thought.

22. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Big fan of Cucumber Castle here but more for the rare extra Maurice than the absence of Robin. Plus it has ‘IOIO’ which my 2 year old and I love

daveidmarx, Hep Alien and Hadean75 like this.
  23. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

24. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

25. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Troystar and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.