50th anniversary of ALL THINGS MUST PASS by George Harrison M.B.E.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, it was fifty years ago yesterday that Scouse of distinction Harry Georgeson's album All Things Must Pass was dropped on Apple Records and Tapes.

[​IMG]

So, when did you first hear this album? What did you think?
    Has this opinion changed?
    How many copies of this album do you have?

2. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

2 copies of the lp

3 different copies of the cd
    1st pressing.
    The small box version
    The version in the GH box

audiomixer, alanbeat and mBen989 like this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I don't at all mean to rain on anyone's parade, but speaking personally I've never been a fan of this album. The overproduction kills most of it for me.

However, a propos of the thread title, I can answer the question above in terms of when I first heard "My Sweet Lord." I know exactly where I was at the time — and I can say that my immediate impression was "That's a cop from 'He's So Fine.'"

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Well, this thread has gotten off to a rip-roaring start!

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It's about the 50 'All Things Must Pass' thread :D

mBen989 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Probably due to it being ripped apart and discussed ad nauseum over the years...
    Discussion wise I'm pretty burned out on it. Album wise, I enjoy it for what it is :)

mark winstanley, Tommyboy and mBen989 like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Got it for Christmas '70 and pleased I was. I must have played it 100 times over the holiday period. It was so good.
    But! The Apple Jam sucked then and still does.

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I bought "The Best of The Chiffons" on LP, partially to hear this

SinnerSaint, APH, goodiesguy and 3 others like this.
  9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Thanks for sharing, I was dying to know what you thought.

dunce, rocnred, gkella and 2 others like this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I cut a bunch of lawns to buy this triple record set, and it was worth all the work. I wore these records out and I still wonder to this day why Harrison couldnt sustain the level of songwriting he was at with Abbey Road and ATMP.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Like everything Beatles here

c-eling and mBen989 like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I first got "ATMP" in the span between Christmas and New Year's 1980.

I guess I had some Xmas $$$ and I went for this one, my first GH solo album.

Got it the same day I saw "Magical Mystery Tour" for the first time! It played an art house in DC - my friend Billy and I saw it. We stopped at Springfield Mall on the way back and I got "ATMP" at the Harmony Hut there.

As I recall, I liked "ATMP" right off the bat, but back then, I liked everything Fabs or Fabs related. I was 13 and utterly smitten by all things Beatles.

I probably like it even more now. Easily GH's best, and top 5 solo Fabs period.

Not sure how many copies I own - 4 or 5? All CD - ditched the vinyl decades ago!

mBen989 and googlymoogly like this.
  13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I got it as a solicited Christmas gift in December 1970. I was extremely excited and curious to hear what George had done. I wasn't disappointed. He nailed it right on the head. I still cite it as my favorite album of all time. Beware Of Darkness was my immediate favorite track. Over the years I've owned it in every conceivable recorded format. Currently, my go-to copy is the 2017 vinyl reissue. Beautifully done.

14. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Mom and Dad got it for me for Christmas that year, I was 16 years old. I still consider it the best ex-Beatles solo album.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I answered a question posed by the OP. Given his thread title, it certainly seemed to be in the spirit of the thread.

I qualified my answer as I gave it. Sorry if it got your knickers in a twist. If you just can't bear an occasional opinion that differs from yours, perhaps you should give up online life altogether.

On the other hand, I'm glad I gave you an opportunity to assert your superiority, as I know that's important to you. Happy to be of service.

AFOS and mBen989 like this.
  16. Because, upon going solo, all of the Beatles still had that last bit of the Fab Four fuel in the tank. They had a strong desire to impress, to show the world that they were great artists outside of the band. And it worked for a few years, but not past 1971. Even so, counting Imagine thru Ram, there are glimpses of brilliance, but very little Beatles' caliber material.

George had the most to prove, so his was the best. The caged animal was free. But it could only run so far on that post-Beatles energy. John didn't try as hard as the others (or so it seems to these ears), and while McCartney carried on the bravest fight of them all, he simply didn't have that friendly competition with John to keep his material top-notch. As good as they could write songs, post-Beatles, the "it factor" was gone, having dissolved the magic core.

George certainty made a mark for himself with All Things Must Pass. Something that George would never reach the same heights with, nor the rest of the Beatles. But how could they? There was nothing left of creative pool called the Beatles.

17. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I got both singles upon release, but did not get the album until spring of 1971. I got All Things Must Pass the same day I got John Lennon Plastic Ono Band. I expected ATMP to dominate my stereo, but it was the Lennon album that grabbed me. The production didn't appeal to me. The songs with less bombast (Run Of The Mill, Apple Scruffs, I'd Have You Anytime) I liked, but I found Wah-Wah, Art of Dying and Let It Down to be too overblown for my taste. I have listened to the album many times over many years, and while I like it, I still lean toward my original opinion.

zobalob and mBen989 like this.
  18. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Gave the OP a like because of the thread title.

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

So great that the world's most famous gardener finally got the accolades and respect he deserved... long overdue.

Let it roll across the floor
    Through the hall and out the door
    To the fountain of perpetual mirth
    Let it roll for all it's worth

20. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Have 1 LP and 3 CDs

I dont think My Sweet Lord sounds like Hes So Fine at all. Even The Chiffons version doesnt sound like it

I believe it was something in the Billy Preston version of MSL that enabled the judge to rule that part of the song was copied

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, let's find out, shall we?

WMTC likes this.
  22. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Which is a shame, when you consider how bad the whole album is sonically. Spector was a dreadful record producer .

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I like the demos and outtakes better than the album

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s been one of my favorite albums for most of my life. I love the production on a few of the tracks - every time I upgrade my audio setup, I play “Beware of Darkness.” I think I have 14 or 15 copies of the album.

WolfSpear, EVOLVIST and mBen989 like this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Agreed Spector's over the top bloated "production" ruins a lot of it. The songs that were spared I like some a lot. The title track is still great. My favorite though is "The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp" which would make my top 5 Harrisongs

JDeanB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.